Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error 21 for batch scripts

Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, everybody:

I was trying to run several scripts at once with this simple lines of javascript

app.doScript(File("/Users/… Script1.jsx"), ScriptLanguage.JAVASCRIPT);

app.doScript(File("/Users/… Script2.jsx"), ScriptLanguage.JAVASCRIPT);

app.doScript(File("/Users/… Script3.jsx"), ScriptLanguage.JAVASCRIPT);

app.doScript(File("/Users/… Script4.jsx"), ScriptLanguage.JAVASCRIPT);

app.doScript(File("/Users/… Script5.jsx"), ScriptLanguage.JAVASCRIPT);

app.doScript(File("/Users/… Script6.jsx"), ScriptLanguage.JAVASCRIPT);

To facilitate the reading of this post I simplified the name and the path of each script

It runs perfect untill Script4.jsx. Indesign applies it but shows an error 21 message (undefinded is not an object), and stops the following scripts application

When I run only Script4.jsx or the same list but one by one, there's no error message. The problem happen only when it's call from the batch script.

Script4.jsx is an extended version of Green4Ever's script posted in Apply Master Page using Paragraph Style

This are the whole lines I'm using

var myDocument = app.activeDocument;

var myParas = myDocument.stories.everyItem().paragraphs.everyItem().getElements();

var myPage = myDocument.pages;

for(i=0; i<myParas.length; i++)

{

if(myParas.appliedParagraphStyle.name == "Tit1") 

{

//Works only in CS5 and later

myParas.parentTextFrames[0].parentPage.appliedMaster = myDocument.masterSpreads.item("B-master");

}

if(myParas.appliedParagraphStyle.name == "Tit2") 

{

myParas.parentTextFrames[0].parentPage.appliedMaster = myDocument.masterSpreads.item("B-master");

}

if(myParas.appliedParagraphStyle.name == "Tit3") 

{

myParas.parentTextFrames[0].parentPage.appliedMaster = myDocument.masterSpreads.item("D-master");

}

if(myParas.appliedParagraphStyle.name == "Tit4") 

{

myParas.parentTextFrames[0].parentPage.appliedMaster = myDocument.masterSpreads.item("D-master");

}

}

Extended Toolkit debugging tool show an error in line 23, but I can't realize what is about.

I'll really appreciate any help.

Thanks

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

I don't thing sleep will help in this case.

Try myDoc.recompose ()

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If myParas in line 23 is e.g. in overset text, it doesn't have any parentTextFrames. Run scripts 1, 2, and 3, then check the state of the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, thanks for your answer.

I am very glad to read you because the little I have learned from JavaScript and Grep in InDesign has been through your work and your books.
Following your observation, I execute 1,2 and 3, without problems. When running the 4, I get the same error but now I understand that the Smart Text Reflow does not have enough time to create pages and distribute text before the next statement of the script is executed.
Is there any way to make the script wait for the Smart Text Reflow to finish its work before running the next line?

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add this line:

$.sleep (500);

If that's not enough, try changing 500 to 1000. Or even more. The numbers are milliseconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter. I'm trying but still same results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think, Peter, my problems is that I don't know where to put the line you gave me. After or before Line 23? in a variable? In batch script? I tried all this ones, and none   resolve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should go (I think) between scripts3 and 4. So you can add it as the last line in script 3 or the first line in script 4.

Does that work?

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying right now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nop, doesn't work either. I think the goal would be not to wait a specific amount of time, but wait until there will be no overset text

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, usually putting a script to sleep for a bit solves timing problems. Maybe the timer itself keeps the script busy so that nothing else happens. Clutching at straws here now -- maybe try the sleep clause for a bit, then test whether there are overset stories. If there are, sleep a bit more. In general terms, 'while there are overset stories, wait a bit'. perhaps something like this (untries):

while (app.documents[0].stories.everyItem().overflows.join().indexOf('true') >= 0) {

$.sleep(1000);

}

A problem may be that the script gets stuck on documents with stories that are overset because they're, well, overset permanently, not because of being not yet processed, if you see what I mean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your advices, Peter. I let you know if I find any alternative to make this work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't thing sleep will help in this case.

Try myDoc.recompose ()

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

¡AMAZING, Trevor! Just what I need and thes best of all… ¡is so simple!
Thanks a lot… I will buy you a coffe, at leats… any time you come to Mexico City.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nice one, Trevor -- book yourself on a flight to Mexico City for a coffee!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines