Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Excel hyperlinks open pdf files in browser

Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

We use MS Windows (usually Windows 10), MS Office products and Adobe Acrobat DC.  Our network is based on SharePoint.

When clicking on hyperlinks in Excel (which are linked to pdfs) they default to opening in browser, e.g. Chrome.

Changing Chrome settings to force the pdf to open in Acrobat isn't useful for us as it downloads a copy of the pdf from SharePoint into our local downloads folder.  So any annotations/amendments made to that pdf is the local version.

Does anyone have any tips on how to force Excel to open pdfs in Adobe Acrobat (opening the actual original linked pdf rather than downloading a copy).

Our external IT providers do not have a solution to this problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of hyperlinks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hyperlinks to pdf files stored in the same subfolder of our SharePoint network

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http:// file:// or what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2018 Dec 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat can't open http or https links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is an Excel file. I've tried to provide much more details below to illustrate the scenario I'm facing at work.

In certain cells we have put hyperlinks to external PDF documents.

Eg Excel workpaper sheet 1, cell B5 states Bank balance. Cell B6 states $100,000.

Then I press Ctrl + k (insert hyperlink) while on cell B6. In the pop up box I put hyperlink reference to external PDF document called bank.pdf which is located in our SharePoint server (https://companyname.sharepoint.com/client/bank.pdf).

Even if I'm using Excel the app (not Excel in chrome), the hyperlink in cell B6 opens up the Adobe PDF document in chrome.

I can "force" chrome to not open pdfs via chrome settings but that means when I click on the hyperlink in excel it downloads a copy of the pdf locally to my pc (C:\blah blah\downloads folder).

I'd like to click on the hyperlink in cell B6 to open bank.pdf off into Adobe acrobat.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NeerajP  wrote

I'd like to click on the hyperlink in cell B6 to open bank.pdf off into Adobe acrobat.

Thanks

Again: Adobe Acrobat can't open this links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Never mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines