Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple moving areas of transparency

Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks,

I have some footage shot inside a stationary car.

I would like to make the window areas transparent to reveal stock footage of passing scenery.

Unfortunately, the car footage is handheld and has no green screen.

I can't seem to have multiple inverted areas of transparency using the opacity pen tool.

I don't think I can use a track matte as the areas of transparency are moving from frame to frame because it's handheld.

What's the simplest way to achieve the effect I'm looking for?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Got it. You might try putting your stock scenery on Video Layer 1. Then place your interior car footage on V2 and duplicate your interior car footage on V3. Temporarily shy your V2 layer by clicking the eyeball. On your V3 layer draw your Opacity Masks but don't invert them. Now you should have the reverse of what you want. Unshy V2 layer and add the Track Matte Key from your Effects menu to this layer. In your video effects options under Track Matte Key go the drop-down menu titled "Matte" and

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump!

I can't believe this isn't possible in PP! 

There must be someone here with enough experience to suggest a workaround?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be a lot easier to do in Adobe After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you have several camera angles and need the multicam option.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does complicate things. You didn't mention your editing with the Multicam option in your original post. Either way, I still recommend taking your footage to After Effects to do the masking and tracking work. There are probably several ways you can do it. One would be to take all of your individual clips from that scene and do your tracking, masking, and footage replacement, then export each clip from After Effects. Then import them into Premiere Pro and do your multicam edit. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multicam isn't really relevant because my question was just whether this effect could be achieved on a single track within Premiere Pro.  The reasons why I'm using PP rather than AE aren't part of my question.

Anyway, thank you for your response.  It sounds like you don't know if there's a way to achieve that in PP without using AE so I'm back to square one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it. You might try putting your stock scenery on Video Layer 1. Then place your interior car footage on V2 and duplicate your interior car footage on V3. Temporarily shy your V2 layer by clicking the eyeball. On your V3 layer draw your Opacity Masks but don't invert them. Now you should have the reverse of what you want. Unshy V2 layer and add the Track Matte Key from your Effects menu to this layer. In your video effects options under Track Matte Key go the drop-down menu titled "Matte" and select Video 3. Then below put a check mark in the box next to Reverse. See if that can get you any closer to what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Spot on!  Brilliant!  I knew there must be a way.

Thank you for your time and expertise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines