• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem Importing from Different Catalog

Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to import LR Classic CC photos from a different catalog. The link How to import photos from Photoshop Elements, other Lightroom Classic CC catalogs, or apps such as i... offers instruction, but doesn't work as described. It used to work in earlier LR Classic CC versions. It's how I used to transfer a working catalog from my laptop in the the field to my desktop upon return. Something has gone awry.

According to the subsection 'Import photos from a different lightroom classic cc catalog', step 4, there are supposed to be 3 options in the File Handling drop down menu: add new photos to catalog without moving; copy new photos to a new location and import; don't import photos to a new location. The 2nd option (copy new photos...) doesn't exist in the real world, i.e., when I try to execute this import.

So, I'm seeking a workaround, or solution to this error in the Photoshop 'user guide'. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick suggestion. Kost's approach is actually another way of describing (and contextualizing) what is outlined in the LR CC user guide that I reference. However, both Kost's step-by-step and the LR CC (online) user guide, suggest that there are three (3) options in the File Handling menu for the catalog import. My issue is that I DO NOT see 3 options; only 2. And it is that missing option - copy new photos to a new location and import - that is the heart of my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The option you are looking for is available in the Import Dialog from the Library module. See the screen capture.

Screenshot 2018-11-29 at 6.33.15 AM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a possible option for accomplishing my end goal. However, I believe this approach merely imports the images, and does not apply the processing/developing that had already been done in the other (in my case, field) catalog. So, in the end, this approach is not satisfactory.

This is why LR offers the import from another catalog option. However, this import process did not proceed in my case as advertised by Adobe - as describe in my original post.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What versions of Lightroom and Operating system are you using.  On Lr 8.0 and MacOS 10.13.6 I have all three options.

Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 9.49.32 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screenshot you display, Bob, is what I expected to see. But in my case, the middle option is missing.

I am running Lightroom Classic CC, Version 8, Build 1193777, under macOS Mojave, Version 10.14.1.

I have used this approach before with earlier versions of LR and earlier versions  of macOS. It has been my practice, usually once or maybe twice a year, when I'm on a trip and process photos on my laptop.

As for contacting customer care, David, I can find no way to chat - the link to customer care only leads me back to the community forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, darn, either a different link exists, or the made this more complicated,

sign in, select product, select trouble shoot, and finally a chat option, that you actually start will be available. Some contortions to go thru

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm signed in; I select LR as the product; select trouble shoot for the problem; and the only option available is community forum. My account is CC all apps. Don't know why Adobe always plays so hard to get. See screen shot.Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 11.08.16 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, have returned home, and can now work from a PC. So reworking this chat issue.. Following are screen shots starting in LR. Sure think this was not as complicated yesterday, so many hurdles. Note, at the end, I have not started a chat, so if it fails at that point, hmmm dirty word:

In, LR, /Help/Lightroom Classic CC Help/

Then, in the web page that comes up, select contact us

Then in the next web page that comes up select the product, in this case Adobe Photoshop Lightroom

Next up, up you need to select an issue, try Troubleshooting

Now, Select that button down at the bottom, Show me...

Down at bottom, Chat

start the chat

hope I did not forget a screen shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David - You have been most patient, and have tried very hard to be helpful. My earlier (11:12AM) response was my shorthand for a slightly different route to arrive at the same place as you. I just went there directly from the Adobe Support page. When I follow your well-illustrated procedure step-by-step, I ultimately wind up following your last few footsteps. When following your step: "Now, Select that button down at the bottom, Show me..."  I get the screen I included with that 11:12AM post, i.e., the same as your "Down at bottom, Chat" screen, but without the "chat" or "phone" options.

What is Adobe doing to me? I certainly pay them enough, and now I can't talk or chat with them..... 

Thank you for trying...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My browser Mozilla Firefox, also works in MS Edge.

hmm, have not worked on publishing a web page in years, looking at some of this web pages script, I see java script called, could be other web add ins involved, its an Adobe page, so Adobe this and that might be used (long tome ago, memory not so crack on) like flash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like either Adobe is busy tweaking things, or I missed a step, or some different steps can get you to a slightly different page.

Keep an eye out for a flat oval button near the bottom of a page with the words "Show Self help options" click it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Three different browsers (Chrome, Safari & Firefox) - same result every time: not option to call or chat. Time to contact Adobe under the heading of Account Issues.... There's no excuse for their not offering me the option to call or chat.

You've pointed me down the right path, I'm sure (partly because it was the one I was following anyway). You've just reinforced my conviction that I have been on the right path.

At this point, I'll say the issue concerning inability to import from a different catalog remains open. But the issue of how to contact support via chat or phone is now being pursued by a different route.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this.

On your web browser launch google.com

type in "contact adobe phone"

Top hit appears to be a phone number. 1 (800) 833-6687

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, that is the number - and it worked. Problem getting to 'chat' and/or 'phone' was with my account and has been fixed. I can now get to the same screen you see.

It'll take a bit more work to resolve the import catalog solution, but Adobe is now on the case....

Thanks, David.

P.S. Not sure how to close this thread without having the 'ultimate solution' to the catalog issue....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When they solve the issue, post what the fix was, and select that answer, click on correct (you need to click on your first posts title, what you can and cannot do in the form of edits, etc, is different in that mode)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shame on me, in your screen shot that lower near bottom flat oval button,"Show Self help options" click it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably time to give in and chat with Adobe

Contact Customer Care

One, “fix” that comes up a lot for odd buggy LR conditions is to reset your preferences file:

https://laurashoe.com/2018/06/26/resolving-buggy-behavior-in-lightroom-reset-preferences/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2019 Nov 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had exactly this problem (import from different catalog, no "copy new photos to a new location" option). After entirely too much effort and trouble shooting, I realized the problem. My laptop catalog had it's images on drive D:. When I plug the media with the laptop catalog into my desktop, it is drive J.

The laptop catalog could not find it's own images, and therefore the import routine could not "Copy" the files it could not find.

My solution: I changed the drive letter on my laptop from D: to J:. I then had to help the laptop lightroom catalog find its images again on the laptop. Now, when I take the drive from the laptop to the desktop, I get the full range of import File Handling options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines