• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GTX 1060 6GB for 4k Export ?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work on small projects with Sony a6300 log files. Most of the projects have mixed footages of 1080p 120fps and 4K 23.976fps. So I have to rescale either 4k to 1080 or 1080 to 4k. I have Intel i7 4770 (not K) with 8GB of DDR3 and 128GB SSD. I use only the onboard HD 4600 GPU to render with little twicks of Lumetri (3D LUT is a must). My onboard GPU remains 100% busy and the CPU reamins 70 to 80 %. Sometime the render fails and sometimes it takes more than 3 hours for a 5 minutes project. I know I require a GPU. Shall the GTX 1060 6GB mini help boosting the speed enough ? As I don't want to change my entire system right now. I may even add one more 8GB DDR3 on my Asus H97 Plus.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 01, 2018 Dec 01, 2018

I agree with that. But I would also like to add that one should NOT cheap out on the GPU in a video editing system: If you go too low on the GPU, you run the risk of the GPU memory throughput falling below that of the main system RAM. And that WILL prevent the CPU and RAM from getting anywhere close to being fully utilized even if the workload requires it, which may result in a given high-end system performing no better than a 10-year-old entry-level PC even for everyday tasks.

By the way, I woul

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Its i7 4790

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

This would be a very interesting thread for you to refer to and it has a link with which you can benchmark

GPU not being used in Adobe Premiere 2018

As Bill Engeler  said in that thread  "GPU acceleration is only used for certain things. If you don't have any GPU accelerated effects on your timeline, or you are not resizing when you transcode , it's mostly all Cpu."

It should help you understand how Premiere uses hardware to render

Mo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to provide the error log why render have failed, as per my knowledge the render shouldn't fail just because the system doesn't have the high-end GPU although it could be due to heating of the system. GTX 1060 6GB min can help in reducing the render time but main when you're encoding GPU accelerated effects i.e. Lumetri but CPU is equally important getting an Upgrade to CPU i.e. 7th or 8th generation would really speed up the rendering. 

Read the following forum - Which is more important for editing, CPU or GPU? 

Vishu Aggarwal
Adobe Certified Instructor, Professional and Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. I mostly work with Lumetri and also resize the clips. So as per your suggestion it is a GPU intensive work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your present machine is old and weak to properly render 4K.

Dont think a modern gpu card will do much good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggession. I upgraded my whole system just one and a half year ago. The CPU was reviewed good enough for small editing . I am not willing to invest in a new system again this year. What I miss in my present machine is that a good GPU as lumetri is very much GPU intensive as per my style of grading. Even GTX 970 is still considered a good GPU. I am confused with the generations of CPU/GPU. Is there real huge difference between the generations?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2018 Dec 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even GTX 970 is still considered a good GPU.

That might be true, but it is the same as putting a Ferrari engine in a Deux Chevaux

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha ha, good example @Ann Bens,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

There are differences in architecture of cpu's as new generations are released

This is a quick interesting read

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/about-nvidia/corporate-timeline/

The best way to decide on a GPU is to first decide on what you will be using to for.

Games. Stills. Day to day. Video. Visual effects.

Once you decide on where you will be spending most of your time, look up on reviews on say "Best Nvidia cpu for visual effects"

This will narrow the field down and also get you used to some of the technical features.

You will then be left with a choice of roughly 5-8 GPU's from a manufacturer.

Then look at your current rig set up and ask:

1. Do I have a strong enough power supply (PSU)

2. Is the case large enough to accommodate a large card

3. Is there sufficient cooling

Etc

This should then narrow you down to 4-6 card options and now budget comes into play.

So you have finally decided on a card that your PSU and case can manage and it costs $150

You are all excited, you buy it and its performs like a snail that ate a sleeping tablet lol

This is when you realize that you need to overhaul your entire rig.

The more you expect out of hardware the more it will cost. It's very difficult finding a happy medium at the rate that technology is changing. Unless you are doing the same edits and using the same footage resolution for the next 5 years, you will need to upgrade.

Here's a quick tip: Theres no need to go for the big cards with 16gig VRAM and 4 fans etc etc. Leave that for the gaming fraternity.

Most software does NOT and I will repeat this, does NOT use the GPU to render.

As an example After Effects uses the GPU to render on cpu accelerated effects and those are a handful but growing.

The BIGGEST investment you can make is you CPU and RAM. Heres where the speed comes into play

Trust this assists...even a little

Mo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with that. But I would also like to add that one should NOT cheap out on the GPU in a video editing system: If you go too low on the GPU, you run the risk of the GPU memory throughput falling below that of the main system RAM. And that WILL prevent the CPU and RAM from getting anywhere close to being fully utilized even if the workload requires it, which may result in a given high-end system performing no better than a 10-year-old entry-level PC even for everyday tasks.

By the way, I would not spend much if any money on a four- to five-year-old CPU platform at this point: The discussion starter's planned GPU upgrade will come very close to becoming too expensive for such an aging platform. Now, had he purchased such an upgrade 20 months ago, then that purchase might have been justified. But current prices for the GTX 1060 6 GB are equal to or higher than they were 20 months ago, which makes those cards becoming too close to being not worth the cost for their own good on such an aging CPU platform.

Therefore, if the thread starter MUST get a discrete GPU with 4 GB of video RAM (required for CC 2019 to use MPE GPU acceleration), then he should go for a GTX 1050 Ti and be done with that - at least until he can save up enough money for a newer, more powerful system with newer, up-to-date components. Don't go below that; otherwise, he will end up with a GPU with either an insufficient amount of VRAM or an outdated, no-longer-supported GPU generation (most extant 4 GB GT 730s are actually 8-year-old GT 430s with different BIOS firmware).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the explanation. Now what should I do if I plan making another good system in the next year? Which GPU shall work good on budget ? I'll also use that with my present system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggession. So all of you are in the same footing to get a good CPU and then a decent GPU. RAM is another big factor. Resolve needs more RAM for playback but renders much faster than Premiere with the same system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 02, 2018 Dec 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes a decent CPU is of paramount importance.

Resolve is quite a different animal and relies VERY heavily on the proper GPU

Mo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines