Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Word document footnotes will not import into InDesign

Participant ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

I have what appears to be a perfectly valid Word doc with footnotes on board (about 240 of them).

When I try to import it into InDesign, even though both the footnote and endnote import options are checked, the Word document imports with no sign of the footnotes at all (ie: neither the in-body marker, or the both itself).

I've gone back to the Word doc and tried converting all the footnotes to endnotes and importing that. Same issue.

And yet other Word docs I've received have imported without issues for either footnotes or endnotes.

Any suggestions?

VBW

Mark

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if .doc not works, than try to re-save to .docx or .rtf and repeat CTRL+D

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2019 Jun 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In InDesign I had the problem of the endnotes reference markers (numbers) not appearing in the text (it would substitute for a manual line break + a space) though the endnotes appeared correctly as they should at the end of the document. When I saved the Word docx  as old Word doc. and placed the text, the reference markers were there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And try to save your new version of .docx as old (2016 to 2013, 2013 to 2010/2003).

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hummer punch if first my posts not help is here: Еще раз о сносках | Эффективная работа в Adobe InDesign | Приемы работы, хитрости и секреты, скрипты...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark,

what's your exact version of InDesign? ( see menu About InDesign )
On what operating system?

Can you show a screenshot of your Word Import Options?

To add an inline image you have to use the forum editor.

( Unfortunately for some forum members JPEGs and PNGs cannot be inserted due to forum malfunction. I'm also affected, hope, you are not. )

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I would like to know if the steps suggested above worked for you, or the issue still persists.

Kindly update the discussion if you need further assistance with it.

Thanks,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m having the same problem. Footnotes are not imported, or rather, they are imported, but as "End comments", and they are placed in the very end of the InDesign-document. This is really worsening the functionality of InDesign. If anyone has a solution I’d be happy to read about it!

Patrik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Patrick!

I’ve have your same footnotes’s problems. I’m in a big trouble.

Have you find some/solutions for this problem?

If anyone or Adobe staff have some solutions or idea, please write me!

Best Regard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi annaritad41959969 ,

what's your exact version of InDesign and operating system?

Did you place a doc or a docx file?

What's the version of MS Word on what system that the imported file is coming from?

Also: Best show a screenshot of your Word document import options.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

InDesign version: CC2018

Operating system: Mac OS Sierra vers. 10.12.6

I'm using to place doc or doxs file (I've the same problem with both of versions)

I recive word file by my clients around the world (I work in a book editions company), My Ms Words is 16.6 (180812)

It's the first time I've have this kind of problems. I'm usually work with notes, but now I don't know how find a solution

here the screenshot

Best regars

AdS

Schermata 2018-11-30 alle 17.19.55.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

does it help if you open the doc or docx file with your version of MS Word, save the file to a new name and import that?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems InDesign reads footnotes and end comments as the same thing. Please fix this, this is so bad!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 16, 2018 Sep 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

My sincerest apologies: not long after I posted this query I had some news that took me completely away from trying to find a solution for this.

In regards the solutions that you've all provided, it seems - in this case - that there is no fix. I say this as when I eventually got an opportunity to try the solutions, none worked.

When I pressed the client on whether he knew of any issues with the Word file, he replied "Oh everyone's had problems with it".

So, I think the file is likely irreparably corrupt. I've certainly never seen one this odd before.

In any event, I eventually cancelled the job as the client was becoming less and less helpful.

Real world stuff! *rollseyes*!

But my thanks to everyone who contributed, though.

VBW

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2023 Dec 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry to say, but it has been a few years and the problem persists. Give me a break Adobe!!! I love the new features but can you keep the basic functionalities working?!?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2023 Dec 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, no, five long years after this thread, Adobe and Microsoft still aren't the same company, and still have no agreement of compatibility for their mutual products.

But yes, Adobe seems to have fallen down badly on making InDesign a tool to import Word projects when a user realizes that the MS products have relentlessly pursued some ideal of pan-web collaborative platforming for every student, secretary and monkey, at, well, the expense of basic functionality. A hard target to chase for import of perpetually-fragile data like footnotes.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the text imports options see if you have an option called "static text" under the endnotes . And check it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines