• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text Boxes in Illustrator Behaving Strangely

Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might be difficult to explain, but at the moment, when pasting text within Illustrator (it can be from a different artboard within the doc, or from a different Illustrator doc, or Word, basically it doesn't seem to matter where the text comes from) or if just create a new text box and type within it, and try to resize the box, it seems to create more text boxes within the main box, and the text would 'snap' into the smaller box. If I stretch the box wider, the text will 'snap' back into the bigger box again, and I can then delete the randomly created text box as it is empty and not affected anymore. If I keep moving the edges of the text box around, every time the text within it is affected by moving or not having enough space it will just pop a new box. It will carry on indefinitely as long as I'm shifting the size around.

This only happens when creating text boxes that you can resize without affecting the size of the text inside it. Typing without a text box seems to be fine.

Does anyone know what on earth is going on?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bluejayboy,

If it is only one document, what happens if you create a new one, then try? Maybe you can copy text over.

Otherwise, the list may be relevant.

If things that should work simply refuse to (all possibilities exhausted including the A) - C) below (and carefully making sure you are performing (all) the needed things)), you may try (the relevant part(s) of) the list 1) - 6) below.

Sometimes, (certain) things may fail or stop working for no apparent reason. When the (other) possible reasons/cures fail to work, it may be some kind of (temporay or permanent) corruption, or even some inconvenient preference setting(s), which may be cured with something on the following list set up in an attempt to provide a catchall solution for otherwise unsolvable cases. It starts with a few easy and harmless suggestions 1) and 2) for milder cases, and goes on with two alternative ways 3) and 4) of resetting preferences to the defaults (easily but irreversibly and more laboriously but more thoroughly and also reversibly), then follows a list 5) of various other possibilities, and it ends with a full reinstallation 6). If no other suggestions work, or if no other suggestions appear, you may start on the list and decide how far to go and/or which may be relevant.

The following is a general list of things you may try when

A) The issue is not in a specific file,

B) You have a printer correctly installed, connected, and turned on if it is physical printer (you may use Adobe PDF/Acrobat Distiller as the default printer with no need to have a printer turned on, obviously you will need to specify when you actually need to print on paper), and

C) It is not caused by issues with opening a file from external media.

You may have tried/done some of them already; 1) and 2) are the easy ones for temporary strangenesses, and 3) and 4) are specifically aimed at possibly corrupt/inconvenient preferences); 5) is a list in itself, and 6) is the last resort.

If possible/applicable, you should save current artwork first, of course.

1) Close down Illy and open again;

2) Restart the computer (you may do that up to at least 5 times);

3) Close down Illy and press Ctrl+Alt+Shift/Cmd+Option+Shift during startup (easy but irreversible);

4) Move the folder (follow the link with that name) with Illy closed (more tedious but also more thorough and reversible), for CS3 - CC you may find the folder here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/preference-file-location-illustrator.html

5) Look through and try out the relevant among the Other options (follow the link with that name, Item 7) is a list of usual suspects among other applications that may disturb and confuse Illy, Item 15) applies to CC, CS6, and maybe CS5);

Even more seriously (this may be serious because you may need to restore plugins and whatnot afterwards if you have customized things), you may:

6) A) Uninstall (ticking the box to delete the preferences if applicable), B) run the Cleaner Tool (if you have CS3/CS4/CS5/CS6/CC), and C) reinstall. You may try without step B), but sometimes it is needed, because otherwise things may linger.

As it appears from this thread, it may be worth repeating this if it fails to help the first time:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2283530

To uninstall:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/search/index.cfm?loc=en_us&term=uninstall&cat=support&product=illustra...

Cleaner Tool:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

Here is a screen recording: Illustrator error.mov - Google Drive

It's the latest version Illustrator 23.0.1 running on MacOS Mojave 10.14.1

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try View > Preview on CPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried that one, still behaves the same

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do these new frames show up in the layers panel? If so, what is Illustrator calling them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has now started doing it with any objects within Illustrator. For example, I create a basic rectangle shape. Then, using the bounding box, I drag a corner to resize it, and as I do that, it is generating more rectangles as I go. In the layers panel, they are listed as normal, as if I duplicated the shapes or text boxes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, if the bounding boxes are empty or blank, then they are listed as <path>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance it looks like this? I held the tilde key, and wonder if yours might be stuck?

A screen shot of what you actually have would be really helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly, thank you for taking time to try and help! I really appreciate it.

It isn't that I am aware of the tilde key thing, but it doesn't create as many repetitions, it's almost completely random and it is definitely some sort of bug or glitch. That's why I can't screengrab it because if I do, all you would see are two squares, or a textbox with another text box inside of it.  I would have to record my screen or something. It has now stopped doing it for the past 10 min, but it tends to come back.

I have reinstalled, restarted, etc, nothing changed. Completely stuck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a new one (to me). Did you follow all of Jacob’s instructions, including the Cleaner tool at the end?

Also, what is your Illustrator version and operating system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again!

Here is a screen recording: Illustrator error.mov - Google Drive

It's the latest version Illustrator 23.0.1 running on MacOS Mojave 10.14.1

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

show please an example. Do I understand well that creates automatically new linked text frame every time when you have any overset, even during the transforming, before its finishing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I note when the bug occurs the black color pallet change to (?), very weird, like a new object was created. After that, if you press Cmd+A to select all, they select just one box or another boxes? Also, in the layers panel, it's new objects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't it the strangest thing? I have no idea what to do to fix it. Even a clean install doesn't help.

Yeah, they all appear in the layers panel as <paths>.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A sorry, you already told that! Try open with another Keyboard and Mouse if you have, maybe it's a malfunction, or stuck key...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this exact same issue and it is one of the most annoying and hampering issues I've ever had in illustrator (there's been a lot). I've tried all the same steps as you Bluejayboy

Also, I've tried alternate keyboards and mice as well and it still happens. This is a bug and it happens on what appears to be any sort of resizing involving holding the shift key to constrain proportions. Absolutely nothing seems to work from restarts to clean installs.

Has this been addressed by Adobe? Can't seem to find anything and this is such a strange bug to deal with it's really obstructing my ability to be any sort of efficient and creating quite a mess.

Trying to be nice here but inside I'm really   trying to work. Please help! Any info or links at all anyone might stumble upon please post. Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please contact support

Contact Customer Care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am really glad I am not the only one experiencing this frustrating issue.

I will I’ll contact customer support as Monika Gause​ has mentioned and see what they say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ryon.Nishimori  wrote

This is a bug and it happens on what appears to be any sort of resizing involving holding the shift key to constrain proportions.

If it is a bug, then there is another forum for bug reports that the engineers monitor. Please post it to User Voice. You will be able to track it there as well.

Adobe Illustrator Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e​ I will thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2018 Dec 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ryon.Nishimori​, I contacted Adobe, do you have Google Drive File Stream? Or something similar?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bluejayboy  wrote

... do you have Google Drive File Stream?

Is that what is causing this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently it might be the cause yes, so they suggested I disconnect it. So I did. I quite the Google Drive File Stream app, and reopened it (which I haven’t done before, it’s always just run in the background). Then reopened an Illustrator file that was giving me this irritating issue (I made sure it was still glitchy before quitting GDFS) and it seemed to have stopped! So it has worked. Now I just have to see if the bug is fixed and doesn’t come back.

So in a nutshell, restarting Google Drive File Stream has solved this issue for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing your findings, it will be help to all of us!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines