• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot open PDF from a local network in Adobe Acrobat 8 Pro.

New Here ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

My problem is opening files in Adobe Acrobat 8 Pro. I cannot open any of my PDF files accessible in any other software (incl. Photoshop/InDesign), located on the local NAS in my local network.

Every attempt to open PDF ended up with "There was an error opening this document. This file cannot be found." monit. When opening the same file using Network - Location - File.pdf instead of X:\File.pdf (on a mapped network drive X), it works - so file exists. I found some solution of this problem by disabling security verification while opening files, but can't find it in the Acrobat 8 preferences (Ctrl+K in Acrobat).

I appreciate your help here.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an extremely old version. Problems with it, especially on newer operating systems, are to be expected, really.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am aware it's very old, but since this software installed from an original DVD works perfectly, and the problem came with installation of the "modified" no-activation-required version from Adobe, I do expect to get some solution to make it work.

Regarding the "modified" soft - here is more information about it: Activation or connection error when starting CS3 or Acrobat 8 .

Of course an update to the newest version is the easiest way, but I would not ask this question here when willing to upgrade

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing I can suggest is to run the application in Compatibility Mode with an earlier OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying, but it does not work. Let me add in advance - "Run as administrator" does not work either

I am afraid it is some setting which is not available in soft version I got, and the only possibility is to modify or add some setting in the Windows register (regedit command in the Windows console).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, there's no support for this product. Basically, if it doesn't work you're out of luck, I'm afraid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I agree, unfortunately. Sadly, based on the fact of using not only Acrobat, but CS3 Design Premium pack I face a monster purchase now. Recently paid more than $2k.

Funny is that I do NOT need anything more than this CS3 box. And due to no longer supporting activation of this version Adobe forced me to reinstall modified version (English instead of Polish, which I originally had! Adobe also closed site with CS3 translation files). I can live with it, but Adobe limited usability of something what worked ok. Every support ticket ended up with "update to the recent version is suggested". Ok, IF my soft does not work any longer, that's wise. In my case it's just attempt to send me something I do not need.

Believe me or not, it acts the opposite way. I'll never buy Adobe software again, sorry. Red card to Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to purchase the entire pack just to have Acrobat. You can purchase, or even subscribe, to it on its own...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I kinda figured it out before Just don't trust Adobe did not change anything in Photoshop, InDesign, Dreamweaver, etc. It's just a matter of time when I'll find it. Like in Acrobat. Also, I'd like to have language version like one I paid for.

Besides, Acrobat CC subscription cost $250 every year, does not sound attractive to me to be honest. As mentioned before, today morning I had all I needed and no possibility to activate software caused all this crap.

Thread to be closed, unless somebody has any ideas how to make it work (language version is a secondary issue right now).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2018 Dec 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is a happy end. Adobe Acrobat 8 remained useless. What I found is PDFescape Desktop. Within $35.88 annual subscription I have more than expected, incl. outstanding "Reduce file" options. A long time ago I have tried to compress, using various soft, my files (made of jpg scans combined) for the online use, but failed every time. Here I have acceptable quality and 1/20 of the initial size.

Although problem is fixed - by replacing Adobe Acrobat, I keep it marked as Unsolved. When someone knows solution how to make Adobe Acrobat 8 Pro able to open PDF from a local network, please let me know here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines