• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Re-import from Nik HDR Efex Pro 2 causes new collection in LR CC Classic

Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever since this last update, I have had this problem, which while minor is a real pain in the butt when I want to edit several individual photos exported from Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC Classic. I export the photo (in this case individual photos) as usual using the right-click menu in Lightroom Export to HDR Efex Pro2), then apply my changes in HDR Efex 2, then click save. Now, unlike before where the result went directly to the "All Photographs" collection and immediately viewable in the filmstrip along the bottom of the screen, next to the original photo, it now appears there quickly, but just as quickly a new filmstrip appears as "Collection: November 24, 2018, etc" with just the one file viewable in it. In order to have it displayed in the All Photographs collection, I have to select "All Photographs" and then I can go to the next export, adding a few clicks everytime to my process. Since there is not a batch mode for single files to HDR Efex Pro 2, this adds multiple clicks and a few seconds to every photo that I process in this manner. How can I make this stop and go back to the normal way it worked previously to the update?

Thanks in advance!

Reed in St. Louis.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually the proper method to send your images to NIK HDR Effex Pro 2, be it NIK, be it Google NIK, or be it DxO NIK, is to select the images, and click on /File/Export with Preset/HDR Effex Pro 2/

oh, I assume you can do it your way, but then you probably had to create the "edit in"  instance, as the NIK installer did not (as it did accomplish for the other NIK Plugins) create that link.

That being said, result initially lands in a collection, but thats just a collection, tie image is in the folder your original images are in.and can be seen in "All Photographs"

I do not know when the makers of NIK made this particular one act that way (placing the image as a member of a catalog). Not a Adobe LR bug.

https://support.dxo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115015327287-Plug-in-does-not-appear-in-Adobe-Lightroom-af...

https://support.dxo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115015327247-Image-does-not-appear-in-Lightroom-after-clic...

https://support.dxo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115015371847-Compatibility-and-File-Types

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That method is the same thing for launching HDR Efex Pro 2, just one is off the task menu and from the right-click menu. It would be nice if there were a keyboard shortcut.

I sent this to the DXO Nik Support and they say the problem is not with them, but the way Lightroom treats the files when coming back in from HDR Efex Pro 2. When they are re-imported, a new collection is created, so you have to click the View All Photographs for them to be next to the original like before. And after doing this several times, there are dozens of new Collections stacked up in the Collections menu.

It never did this before the last Lightroom CC Classic update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try importing some images, any images even one image and check the import dialog for either a preset being applied or somehow having is go to a collection. Reset everything back to default and then click the import button.

I just did this and no collection was made when the image returned to LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where would I check the import dialog? And by resetting everything back to default do you mean set Lightroom back to factory settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would check all the settings in the import dialog window "In the Import Dialog Window".

Click the Import button and it will come up. Make sure there isn't a Preset being applied or it is set to place newly imported images into a collection. To make a setting stick you have to actually import something, IE Click the Import button in the lower right hand corner.

Please post a screen shot of the full LR window of what you are seeing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything else imports perfectly. All other DXO Nik Fliters import just like they did before. There is nothing set to apply a preset when importing or any other setting.

I'll attach what it looks like after I click the Save button in DXO Nik HDR Efex Pro 2. The "Collection" is created with just one photograph in it. I can select the All Photographs collection and it is there, too. It never worked this way before. I sent the same information to DXO support.

Here is what I have gotten from DXO Support so far:

Seth (Support & Assistance)

Nov 29, 4:42 PM CET

Hello Reed,

Thank you for writing back. The issue with Lightroom is not happening consistently with all customers. If this was an issue with the plugin, we would be receiving a large number of reports, and we are not. We also have not been able to reproduce the problem on our systems here. This is why we believe the root cause of the issue lies with Lightroom and needs to be reviewed by Adobe.

Thank you for contacting DxO Customer Support.

regards,

Seth
DxO Support Team

Reed Radcliffe

Nov 29, 3:04 PM CET

Hi Seth,

I really don't think it is a problem in Lightroom, but more in the LUA file in the HDR Efex 2 Pro plugin supplied with DXO Nik Filters. I am not a programmer, but it seems to me the HDR2RunApp.lua file is the one that sets up the export and import parts of Lightroom for the HDR Efex 2 app. I looked at the file and can see where it says "addPhotosToNewCollection" in several places. There must be some difference with the plugin from the previous version, as this did not start happening until after I updated the Nik Plugins.

Seth (Support & Assistance)

Nov 27, 5:28 PM CET

Hello Reed,

Thank you for writing. What you are experiencing with Adobe Lightroom has been reported by other customers, and appears to be how Lightroom is handling the re-importing of files from the new Nik Collection 2018 program. This not something that we have been able to resolve on our end. It is not something that is happening to everyone, so we believe that this may be tied to how either the PC is configured, or how Lightroom is configured on the PC. This issue has been reported to Adobe by the other customers.

Thank you for contacting DxO Customer Support.

regards,

Seth
DxO Support Team

Here is the screenshot
Clipboard01.jpg

Thanks so much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Reed, I see from your screenshot you are on Windows. I ran a test of three images from LR to NIK HDR Pro 2 in the same way you describe and do not get the same results as you. The finished HDR file comes back to the right spot in LR grid view and no collection has been created. I'm using the Google version on NIK, not DXO. I know that is no consolation for you. I do a lot of real estate, too and can appreciate what a headache this would be trying to get the images all processed.

The obvious solutions are to reset the LR preferences or reinstall.

I'm on Win 10 1803, LR CL 8.0.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, you missed the point, in the original actual NIK, then the Google zNIK, then the initial DxO NIK, when using HDR Effex, it behaved, when the image got returned to LR, it was where expected. Now in the brand new DxO NIK 2018 HDR Effex, we get to see the image in a unwanted collection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2018 Dec 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davidg36166309  wrote

Sorry, you missed the point, in the original actual NIK, then the Google zNIK, then the initial DxO NIK, when using HDR Effex, it behaved, when the image got returned to LR, it was where expected. Now in the brand new DxO NIK 2018 HDR Effex, we get to see the image in a unwanted collection.

I understand that this is a nuisance, but do consider this: a collection is not a physical storage place, it’s just a list. That means that the image is stored in a folder (presumably the same folder as the original) and you can simply delete this new collection. Deleting the collection will not delete the image. The image should also come up in ‘All Photographs’. It’s not either ‘All Photographs’ or in this new collection, it will be in both.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. I know this, and it is a nuisance. That is why I am trying to get it fixed. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Collection being created has to be a function of the 'new' DXO version of HDR Efex. The Collection name/date is so unusual it obviously hasn't been created by you in Lightroom.

Seth at DXO does not seem to have a clue!

Have you tried looking into all the HDR Efex settings?  (The "Settings" button was in the lower left corner of screen in my 'Google' version of Nik HDR Efex.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have. I tried setting the "Stack with original" radio button on, which is the only related setting available. It does exactly what you would think - stacks the result with the original file in the original Lightroom all photographs collection but also opens a brand new collection as before.

I wish I could somehow decompile the .lua file in the plug-in. I can see the text inside that says to create a collection. I have asked DXO support for a copy of the old plug-in so I can compare it myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The exact same thing is happening to me. As you say, not a problem just an nuisance.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They tell me over at DXO that no one else is having this issue. Can you report it to them, as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done - I will let you know if I hear anything.

Best Regards,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried setting the "Stack with original"

I am curious-

Has the [settings] dialog changed from the one I see in my Google version of Nik HDR Efex Pro 2 screen-clips?

(or were you referring to a Lightroom preference?)

ScreenShot519.jpg

ScreenShot521.jpg

ScreenShot522.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The settings dialog in the new NIK by DXO has, in fact, changed. Nothing changes the issue I am experiencing, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DXO responded and told me to reinstall the software - so I did and as expected it did nothing. I am waiting on them again.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't that normally the first thing to try when troubleshooting a software issue? I've re-installed NIK and Lightroom - did that before I complained.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed - but, you have to play by their rules....

Best Regards,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2019 Jan 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two Macs ... laptop has HDR Efex Pro 2 version 5.0.0.0 while iMac version is 5.0.1.61. Both are up-to-date with LR and Mac OS. When doing test images on the laptop (earlier version of the HDR program), it works like it always did returning the HDR image back to the original folder. However, with the iMac (newer version 5.0.1.61) not only does the image come back into its original folder, but also the redundant and unwanted new folder is created as others have reported. For me, it seems an issue of interface between LR and the older vs newer versions of HDR Efex Pro 2 5.0.0.0 vs. 5.0.1.61. Someone has to take responsibility for this and fix it. Right now, it seems as if both Adobe and DxO are pointed fingers at each other and nothing is being done to solve the problem. From what I've seen, we now know why this occurs on some machines and not on others ... depends on what paid version of the program is being run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I neglected to post this, but here is the response I received from DXO:

Thank you for writing back. As noted in our previous e-mail, the creation of the additional collections in Lightroom cannot be disable in Lightroom at this time. This is the only information update that we currently have available.

Less than helpful, I know....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm experiencing the exact same issue as reported.

I'm running DxO version of the Nik collection with LR version 8.1 both on a MacBook Pro and a new Dell Win 10 pro - both machines are showing the same issue - when importing edited images back in from HDR efex pro, the image comes back along with an unwanted new collection entry.

Quite irritating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Quite irritating!"- And that is all down to DXO I am sure.

I use the 'old' (Google) version of HDR with Lr-Classic v8.1 WIndows-10 and I do not get the dated Collections. So I do not believe that Lightroom is responsible.

"when importing edited images back"-  There is no 'import' when using the Nik plugins- a simple [Save] will see the image back in the Lr catalog. (or do I not understand you?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines