• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printing colors accurately with MacBook Pro and Dell monitor

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a new MacBook pro with Lightroom Classic on it. I use a Dell 2717D monitor and a color munki calibration system. When I print, the color does not match the Dell where I am doing the editing in LR. However, it does match the MacBook pro screen when I opened it to check. I am printing to an Epson 3880. When I edited on the MacBook and printed, the colors were fine. Any ideas as to how I can get the printer to print what is on the dell, and not on the MacBook? Is there a setting in LR to choose which monitor to use? I previously used a Mac Mini with the same monitor and printer and all was fine.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

It does not use ANY monitor when printing. When it prints, it takes the file in the internal working space and translates it into the color profile for the printer (if you use managed by lightroom) or sends the file in prophotoRGB to the printer driver which then translates it into the printing profile. The monitor does not get involved at all. The way color management works is to have a separate file that describes the characteristic color rendering for every output device. These files are crea

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure I understand the question. Have you calibrated the Dell monitor and the MBP? You should have both monitors calibrated so that you are getting the same or very similar result regardless of which monitor you edit on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double check whether the profile for the Dell is actually being used in the operating system. This is done in the system preferences->Displays->color tab. Make sure that for each display the correct profile is used. Both should have be done using the colormunki system. Lightroom can deal with multiple monitors just fine as long as the OS has the right profile associated with the right monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the MacBook screen and the Dell monitor profiled and I have closed the MacBook so the only monitor that is active (and shows in Preferences on the Mac) - but when I print Mac screen is the one used in printing. I can amp up the colors in LR using the Dell, but the printed version is the muted colors on the Mac. I would like to have LR and the printer only use the Dell. And I appreciate your assistance!

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the correct profile showing in the display preferences on the dell

monitor? What happens when you quit and restart Lightroom with just the

dell monitor active.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the correct profile is showing for the Dell on the Mac. Same for when I restart. Apple told me that the MacBook will always print defaulting to the Mac screen. I find that hard to believe so they are researching further.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah what Apple told you is nonsense. If all displays are calibrated, Lightroom should look very close no matter what display is open. When you open both displays and turn on the secondary display in Lightroom, do the images look close? They will not look absolutely the same as there are some things that even very good calibration cannot fix but they should not be too far apart.

Lastly make sure you have all the dynamic color modes turned off on your Mac. The night shift options (look in the display system preferences) and such really mess with color perception and should never be used. Newer mac book pros come with this turned on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Still trying to figure out which monitor image LR uses for printing.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does not use ANY monitor when printing. When it prints, it takes the file in the internal working space and translates it into the color profile for the printer (if you use managed by lightroom) or sends the file in prophotoRGB to the printer driver which then translates it into the printing profile. The monitor does not get involved at all. The way color management works is to have a separate file that describes the characteristic color rendering for every output device. These files are created by measuring the output characteristics of the devices using calibration tools such as the colormunkis and spectrophotometers for printers. The color management system then translates images from their absolute reference (i.e the working space) to the device color space described by the calibration profiles depending on which device it is sent to. If the computer has the correct device profiles associated with every device that the image is sent to (i.e monitors, printers, etc.), you will see identical color everywhere. So a monitor color profile never gets involved with printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is extremely helpful. My basic misunderstanding led to a series of issues. You have been very helpful and I appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used a similar setup with a calibrated MBP & Dell 24 inch monitor with pleasing results. I've never seen a calibrated monitor exactly match a MBP screen regardless of the tool used for calibration, however I've seen and was able to get mine close enough to be successful printing to an Epson (using the correct paper profiles as well). Black is black, middle gray is middle gray and white is white. Using the data over your eye can be useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know which monitor image LR is using when printing?

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To further qualify, if you see large differences between two monitors, one or both of the color profiles for these monitors is incorrect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines