• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

color shifted after exporting

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2018 Dec 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I know this question has been asked before but I still dont think I have an answer that helps me.

I use a Dell xps15 (9550) with a calibrated monitor.

Every time i export a picture in lightroom no matter wich color profile is embedded, i see high magenta-shifted images on windows 10 photo viewer.

i have the same problem using photoshop cc. When i edit in photoshop trough lightroom i have no color shifting.

I tried so hard to understand where this problem came from and still don`t get it. Hope that someone can help me to figure it out!

The images attached are same format and color profile.Screenshot (41).png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

That screenshot shows exactly what you expect to happen in a non-color managed app on a wide gamut monitor using sRGB exports. It will shift to magenta and be oversaturated. It should show a different outcome if you export to adobeRGB with the external app looking very similar to Lightroom/Photoshop.

Other color managed apps. I believe Chrome since a few months finally respects the monitor profile so that should work finally. Firefox needs to be set up to do color management. It doesn't do it by

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

omarm38161236  wrote

Every time i export a picture in lightroom no matter wich color profile is embedded, i see high magenta-shifted images on windows 10 photo viewer.

I think you mean the Windows 10 Photos App, which is not color managed, and will always display over saturated colors on a wide gamut monitor, which is what you have (Dell XPS). With these kind of monitors, it is crucial to only use color managed applications to view your work. The Windows Photo viewer which I think is still be included with Windows 10, is color managed managed, and will display correct colors. Other color managed options are Bridge, the free Irfanview image viewer (you must enable color management under Settings)

Another option is ACDSee, which is not free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem should be somewhere else;

I downloaded Ifanview and i see no changes in color rendering from Windows App Photo.

The only software that right now provides the same colors of adobe lightroom is Olympus Photo Viewer (i use it to import the original ORF files).

-I also found that the calibration of the monitor can`t be linked to this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Irfanview you have to enable color management under Options > Properties/Settings, then restart the application.

irfanview.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i did it without results, here is a screenshot of what I see.Screenshot (44).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When two color managed applications don't display identically, it's usually caused by a defective or incompatible monitor profile.

If you have set the options in Irfanview exactly like this,

you most likely have a defective monitor profile. Windows 10 will install low quality manufacturerer's monitor profiles when doing updates, replacing the profile you created by calibration. Go to Control Panel > Color management, and check what profile is set as default. If it's a Dell profile, change it to the profile you created.

Another possibility is that the icc profile you created is version 4 and/or table based, in which case you should recalibrate, choosing version 2 profile and matrix based (sometimes called curves or gamma). You do this in the calibration software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition, this about your PS issue, Managing what color space is in use on PS is a bit complex. By default, it is not using the same color space as LR develop mode, and may nit be using the same color space as whatever you may have chosen during export via LR..

Now, you can change the color space to match, and for that matter you can set up PS so that it will ask when it opens a file if you want to use embedded Color space in image or current PS workspace setting.

So, can a more PS savi member add to this, correct this, provide links, etc

oh, folks, what color space should be used in PS keeping publishing in mind?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davidg36166309  wrote

In addition, this about your PS issue,

The OP said they were not having a problem between Photoshop and Lightroom.

"When i edit in photoshop trough lightroom i have no color shifting"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, re-reading, no an issue LR to PS, and apparently not an issue PS back to LR.

But a same or similar issue PS to raster file exported for use outside of PS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, this is a solved case. Per explained it all in the first post - wide gamut display, non-color managed photo viewer. That's all there is to it.

I don't know why everybody seems to think that Lightroom and Photoshop color settings need to "match". They don't; that's just an incredibly persistent myth.

Any embedded profile will override the working space in Photoshop, and be correctly treated in Photoshop as part of standard color management. The profile is always embedded by Lightroom, whichever you choose.

I wish I could dispel this myth once and for all, but it keeps coming up about once a week...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey man I get why you think that. But you're talking to a bunch of professionals in the tech field that have been troubleshooting this issue for years apparently. everyone's response is the same. "It's because it's not color managed" well unfortunately as a Tool used by professionals that make a living from this software, this is not acceptable. It has never done this in the past so it is not what you claim it is. We need a real fix from adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you enable the color management in irfanview?

How are you calibrating your display? Make sure you set up your calibration software to generate a icc v2 profile. What you are seeing is almost certainly a result of a bad monitor profile so please show a screenshot of the monitor's color management tab of the properties display. Also, there are some wide gamut monitors that you just can't calibrate correctly even with a spectrophotometer. I had one of those from Dell for a while and it has such a broad red phosphor that goes way beyond human vision and that screen calibration hardware just cannot deal with correctly. Even if that is the problem, color should still be consistent between color managed apps, so in this case my guess is that you have a bad monitor profile installed. Dell is notorious for shipping corrupt monitor profiles in driver updates. They brake color management in some apps but not others and so you can get inconsistent rendering. Also note that using wide gamut monitors on windows you have to be aware that many apps are not color managed and will never show the right color. A big one is the built-in web browser for example. It will always be off. You really have to be careful using wide gamut monitors on windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recalibrated my monitor using Spider3elite and it`s calibration software, it just don`t show that "V2 version" (see screenshot below).

I also found that colors are perfectly rendered between Adobe software, the problems begin after the exportation.Screenshot (45).png

The software is in italian but the info should be however easy to understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Spyder's software the v2 and v4 options are found in preferences->advanced Settings->ICC settings. It defaults to v4 but luckily Spyder just puts a v2 profile in a v4 container if you select the v4 option, so it is likely not the problem here but more likely that the non-adobe software is simply not color managed. You have to make absolutely sure color management is turned on and uses the monitor profile from your calibration. Per shows above what to do for Irfanview. Without those settings, the display is always wrong. Also, many windows apps, such as internet explorer NEVER display the correct color, no matter what you do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I checked the spyder`software settings and they`re fine. I already managed the options in Irfanview as suggested by Per Berntsen​ but i still have no luck as you can see from the screenshot below with the same image opened up in irfanview and Photoshop.

The next step i think is probably trying other color managed softwares.Screenshot (46).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That screenshot shows exactly what you expect to happen in a non-color managed app on a wide gamut monitor using sRGB exports. It will shift to magenta and be oversaturated. It should show a different outcome if you export to adobeRGB with the external app looking very similar to Lightroom/Photoshop.

Other color managed apps. I believe Chrome since a few months finally respects the monitor profile so that should work finally. Firefox needs to be set up to do color management. It doesn't do it by default. Microsoft browsers only do half the job of color management and don't respect the monitor profile, so they will look wrong.

Color management is still a disaster on windows in 2018 unfortunately. It's a lot better than even a few years ago though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't this supposed to be Irfanview with color management enabled?

Jao - color management in Windows is extremely reliable, precisely because Windows doesn't meddle with it. As long as the application does it right - and IME most of them do - there are no problems at all. Not always so in Mac, where you have an extra OS layer where bugs, policy changes, dropped support and so on cause problems 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jao - color management in Windows is extremely reliable, precisely because Windows doesn't meddle with it.

Haha. It is reliably non-existent you mean 😉

Strangely the application behaves like you said (high magenta shifts on sRGB files and FINALLY no significant color shifting with AdobeRGB profiles.

That indeed means it is not color managing at all. The reason it works well with adobeRGB is because your monitor is close to adobeRGB and a file in that colorspace will look similar in a non-colormanaged application to the same file in a fully color managed application. It seems the color management setting in irfanview wasn't actually sticking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jao+vdL  wrote

Haha. It is reliably non-existent you mean 😉

Well, I wouldn't know. I never had any use for any of the native Windows apps, except Office. But for the apps that do proper color management, it's rock solid

Anyway, digression. As for Irfanview I've never tried it, but if it isn't color managed after all in that screenshot - then yes, I agree.

I'd still like to see an example image with good, balanced daylight. That makes it so much easier to judge what is actually happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After changing the settings to color manage photos I tried to open up in Irfanview many files with different profiles embedded without results; This morning I booted up my laptop and ran the same kind of tests.

Strangely the application behaves like you said (high magenta shifts on sRGB files and FINALLY no significant color shifting with AdobeRGB profiles. So after rebooting the system it looks finally the application behave like it should and i`m happy with that.

I would like to thanks everybody which spent some time helping me with this issue. Hope this could be useful for someone else in the future!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a very good example. This has a yellow color cast to the point where the blue channel is completely wiped out. There's nothing at all there. I'm sure the lighting was difficult, but it's hard to get anything useful out of it - perhaps you could find an example with more balanced lighting?

Still - the Irfanview version has severe low clipping in the green channel, which is what causes the distinctive red shadow cast. So all in all the Photoshop version is the more healthy of these two.

Based on what I can see here, this is a broken/defective monitor profile made by the Spyder. If Irfanview is indeed set to full color management here, it has to be. There's no other explanation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey what exactly are you saying like to fix it ? I'm just starting out 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have posted to a 2 year old conversation. The steps to fix the problem of the original post have been outlined in this thread.

Follow them to get the fix.

If your problem is not Exactly the Same then you need to start your own discussion and detail the exact problem you are having along with inserting screen shots of what you are seeing on your computer screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me it doesn't matter if I am in SRGB Adobe RGB or pro photo they all come out looking identical even when I drag it to a color managed device like an iPhone the colors still come off red no matter what settings I export in. This is a major glitch in Lightroom and needs to be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

They look identical on your iPhone because iOS is color managed. 

The issue is your document, not color management.

Try using a color reference image instead for testing. You should always test output using good color reference images designed for that task. The color reference images RGB values are such they are set for output and are editing and display agnostic. Test the output this way and examine for the same color issues so we know it's not your image specific issues causing the problems:

http://www.digitaldog.net/files/2014PrinterTestFileFlat.tif.zip

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines