• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Rename Bins

Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I go to rename a bin, I can't see the text or cursor, and when I hit "return" Premiere crashes. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, is there a fix?

PremiereBug_CantRenameFolders.gif

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 20, 2019 Feb 20, 2019

Hey folks, here is another possible solution to what seems to be a 10-year old+ issue:

Try resetting your workspace layout. Through the top menu it would be Window > Workspaces > Reset to Saved Layout

This worked for me when none of the other solutions did. Perhaps try setting to different workspaces as well if still stuck.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting preferences:

FAQ: How to reset (trash) preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to trashing your preferences, make sure that you're running Premiere 13.0.1, which came out last week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started experiencing this problem.

I cannot rename bins. This is bad.

Tried the above reset, but this did not help.

Some other instructions online were to delete the Adobe folders from the ~/Library/Application Support and the /Library/Application Support..

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Bobby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't crash the app like you guys, and I am running the latest version.

The Mac is 6 months old, So its not the machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, so....

Hope this easy fix helps the next person.

I opened the project up and still could not rename the bin.

Then I tried to highlight this bin again.

Then went to Menu / clip / rename.

Now it works across the board.

I can right click and I can rename by pressing enter.

So I guess the programming had a little bug in it.

Bobby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's happen to me on multiple machines! Happened when trying to rename any bin or item in a bin.It doesn't crash the app, but I can't see what I'm typing.

Very frustrating! If I type blindly it will accept the text entered, but a solution to this would be appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try my trick above your message.

I did try the other suggestions above first, but all my preferences were deleted. (not that I have many)

Thanks

Bobby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It started happening again to me. It must be a bug in the updated.

Future suggestions welcome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2019 and this is still happening...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange. Its not happening tonight to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like it might be related to version of PremierePro the project was created under. It it only happening to me in projects created before the last update.  I can get around it by creating a new project and importing the old project into it.

Donnie Rogers

[personal info deleted, forum policy]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I've found that's what fixed things for me too. Glad it's finally working now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 25, 2023 Aug 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nice... fixed the issue! I think going forward I'll import all current projects into a new projects anytime an update is released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2019 Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Donnies suggested reimport works for me as well. Thanks for that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha, the renaming bug happened to me last night. Widening the column didn't fix the issue - was able to solve by going to Preferences > General and changing the Bin Preference: Double-Click to "Open In Place." If anyone out there is having trouble, maybe try toggling those options around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2019 Feb 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey folks, here is another possible solution to what seems to be a 10-year old+ issue:

Try resetting your workspace layout. Through the top menu it would be Window > Workspaces > Reset to Saved Layout

This worked for me when none of the other solutions did. Perhaps try setting to different workspaces as well if still stuck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2019 Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

danisdevine fixed the problem! Thank you! I was on the verge of insanity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

worked, thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this, fixed it -- the issue was driving me nuts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mods should mark this as THE ANSWER at the top of this page.

Devs should read this and do something about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just found another possible solution that worked for me. Select the bin or file and then go the the Metadata window and rename it in there. Everything was fixed across all projects after this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2021 Oct 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey 

what did u mean about  go to the metadata?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click on the NAME header title in any bin.  "Metadata Display..."  will appear as the dropdown menu choice.   A window will pop up that allows you to customize the column info that appears in that bin.  Much like the colums in Finder or Explorer desktop windows.  There are hundreds of choices of info columns that can be shown for clips in the bins and you can save presets.  This is very useful for projects with lots of elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick fix is to just rename it in list view rather than icon view or freeform view

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines