• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Which file format should I choose for printing a foil wall wxh = 3x2.5m?

New Here ,
Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could anyone give me advice?

I'm making 3 originals for printing foil wall, with x hight = 3 meter x 2,5 meter.  One with a lage photo from adobe Stock and some texst.

the other two only with LOGO and texts.  Shoul I use InDesign or Photoshop, and what size and file format should I make the originals?

Thanks in advance.

Bjorn

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Ask whoever is going to output this for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ask whoever is going to output this for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bjorn,

As you might guess, there are many ways to produce things. Many variations of "correct." The thing you need to ask yourself first is what am I most worried about?

Time?

File Size?

Resolution?

Skill level?

Output format?

Color Space?

Transparency?

These are just a few things. Each issue might require a different approach to ensure that you are handling the main concern.

For example in your situation you are dealing with-

1. Text

2. Photo

3. Logos (format? eps, jpg, png, ai)

4. Large Format

5. Indoor/Outdoor?

While you can do this in Photoshop, Illustrator or InDesign, each would require specific knowledge about workflow and file manipulation. Since we don't have information about your skill level, fears or specific concerns, we can only speak in generalities. Not to mention addressing how important color is to you and the output format is and what "Foil Wall" is. As BobLevine​ suggested, contact the printer or the client and make sure you are following their recommendations. The printer will be able to give you information as to what they expect as a file format, what color profile/space to use and other information that will give you the best chance for success.

But the simple answer is: You should use whatever program you are most comfortable in that outputs the file format your printing company accepts.

-Dax

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dax!

I appreciate that you took the time

to reply so informative. I will ask the

print company what file format they

prefer. FYI, the foil wall is a wall paper

with print on for use in a both at an

exhibition. I thought that if I made the

file in eps-format they would be able

to resize and enlarge the file to fit the

print size 3x2,5 meters. Then again,

they might want a pdf-file in real size 1:1,

Thank again!

Bjorn

Norway

5. des. 2018 kl. 18:52 skrev maxwithdax <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

Which file format should I choose for printing a foil wall wxh = 3x2.5m?

created by maxwithdax in InDesign - View the full discussion

Bjorn,

As you might guess, there are many ways to produce things. Many variations of "correct." The thing you need to ask yourself first is what am I most worried about?

Time?

File Size?

Resolution?

Skill level?

Output format?

Color Space?

Transparency?

These are just a few things. Each issue might require a different approach to ensure that you are handling the main concern.

For example in your situation you are dealing with-

1. Text

2. Photo

3. Logos (format? eps, jpg, png, ai)

4. Large Format

5. Indoor/Outdoor?

While you can do this in Photoshop, Illustrator or InDesign, each would require specific knowledge about workflow and file manipulation. Since we don't have information about your skill level, fears or specific concerns, we can only speak in generalities. Not to mention addressing how important color is to you and the output format is and what "Foil Wall" is. As BobLevine suggested, contact the printer or the client and make sure you are following their recommendations. The printer will be able to give you information as to what they expect as a file format, what color profile/space to use and other information that will give you the best chance for success.

But the simple answer is: You should use whatever program you are most comfortable in that outputs the file format your printing company accepts.

-Dax

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10794932#10794932 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10794932#10794932

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"

Start a new discussion in InDesign by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just because something is eps it will not automatically be scalable without resolution loss.

Typically for a wall mural you would be printing around 150dpi (but check with your vendor). Many times they tell you to give them a file that might be 1/2 size at double the resolution. It really just depends on what they want. If it were me, I would most likely do this in Photoshop and give them the psd. Most important thing is to make sure your overall photo/file is the right resolution at the right dimension. Adding logos and text is just adding layers as long as the resolution of your logos are adequate for the size they will be on your photo.

Again, the vendor would be my first stop in asking what is needed.

- Dax

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dax,

mainly it's depending on the average viewing distance.

Sometimes even 50ppi effective resolution with a 1:1 scale would be ok.

Also depends on the artwork itself.

Rendered text will perhaps not work with 50ppi, photography could work very well.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Uwe - re: viewing distance - of course. When I do Highway Billboards they are standard 50dpi. We even went as far as printing varying resolutions on our wall at a shop I worked at once to show clients what their art would look like given specific dpi. This helped set expectations when we printed wall murals and they look at it from 5 inches away and ask why it is blurry. LOL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines