20 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2018 12:55 PM by shaylag45954664

Script to Export Multiple PDFs at Once

rahulb1976 Level 1

Hi All

I’m trying to find out how to export two PDF's at once from Indesign CC. I'm aiming to get 1 PDFx-1a PDF (High res with crop and bleed) and 1 smallest File Size (Cropped, no marks)? Could you point me in the right direction or if anyone has a working script I could use that would be amazing. My brain is going to fall out my ears.

Many thanks

Rahul

• 2. Re: Script to Export Multiple PDFs at Once
          rahulb1976 Level 1

Thank you however I've tried this but the coding is incorrect. Could you resupply it on here? I keep getting an error with it.

Want to test this today 20th April if possible. Many thanks.

• 3. Re: Script to Export Multiple PDFs at Once
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Why not share the error? It may help us help you.

• 4. Re: Script to Export Multiple PDFs at Once
              rahulb1976 Level 1

Got an error with it - I don't know anything about scripts, so any help or reconfiguration would be amazing!

// BS"D

// All rights reserved (c) 2015 by Id-Extras.com

// Free to use and modify but do not delete this copyright attribution.

// This script will export 2 pdfs of the current document

// Choose the PDF presets by altering their names below

// The second PDF gets a suffix added to its name.

// Modify the line below beginning name2 = to change the suffix.

// For more InDesign scripts: www.Id-Extras.com

d = app.activeDocument;

// Here you can choose the PDF preset

preset1 = app.pdfExportPresets.itemByName("200dpi");

preset2 = app.pdfExportPresets.itemByName("300dpi");

if (!(preset1.isValid && preset2.isValid)){

alert("One of the presets does not exist. Please check spelling carefully.");

exit();

}

if (d.saved){

thePath = String(d.fullName).replace(/\..+$/, "") + ".pdf";

thePath = String(new File(thePath).saveDlg());

}

else{

thePath = String((new File).saveDlg());

}

thePath = thePath.replace(/\.pdf$/, "");

name1 = thePath.replace(/AW$/, "LR")+".pdf";

name2 = thePath.replace(/AW$/, "HR") +".pdf";

d.exportFile(ExportFormat.PDF_TYPE, new File(name1), false, preset1);

d.exportFile(ExportFormat.PDF_TYPE, new File(name2), false, preset2);

Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 09.26.33.png

• 5. Re: Script to Export Multiple PDFs at Once
                Peter Kahrel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Looks as if you're treating this as an AppleScript. But it's JavaScript.

2 people found this helpful
                • 6. Re: Script to Export Multiple PDFs at Once
                  rahulb1976 Level 1

Hi Peter thanks for this. If it does work - I know its a silly question but how do I make this work with indesign? I know nothing about scripts - apple or java. Does this script work?

• 7. Re: Script to Export Multiple PDFs at Once

Copy the script to InDesign's script folder, then run it from InDesign's Scripts panel. See here for details:

https://indesignsecrets.com/how-to-install-scripts-in-indesign.php

P.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 8. Re: Script to Export Multiple PDFs at Once
                      rahulb1976 Level 1

Peter - great work - however can you tell me what im doing wrong. I'm almost there but not sure about the characters for the indesign pdf presets.

d = app.activeDocument;

preset1 = app.pdfExportPresets.[HighQualityPrint]("300dpi");

preset2 = app.pdfExportPresets.[Smallest File Size]("100dpi");

exit();

}

if (d.saved){

}

else{

}

d.exportFile(ExportFormat.PDF_TYPE, new File(name2), false, preset2);Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 15.32.17.png

Cheers for your help so far, greatly appreciated.

• 9. Re: Script to Export Multiple PDFs at Once

You'll have to specify PDF presets that exist on your disk. This one:

preset1 = app.pdfExportPresets.[HighQualityPrint]("300dpi");

should be this:

preset1 = app.pdfExportPresets.item ('[High Quality Print]');

and for preset2 you should use a similar format.

(mind the spaces). The ones in Ariel's script are specific for his system (sorry, Ariel, I seem to have hijacked this thread. . .)

P.

• 10. Re: Script to Export Multiple PDFs at Once
                          rahulb1976 Level 1

Okay - so the script worked! Yay! however its only creating one pdf - not two and its not renaming _LR _HR. I dont have a clue why it's working completley. Ive created two presets myself Print 1 and Lowres as test presets. Only one is working. See Code. I'm happy to wait on this, but just really need it by the end of next week. So close I can feel it!

d = app.activeDocument;

preset1 = app.pdfExportPresets.item ('Print1');

preset2 = app.pdfExportPresets.item ('Lowres');

exit();

}

if (d.saved){

}

else{

}

• 11. Re: Script to Export Multiple PDFs at Once
                            rahulb1976 Level 1

Okay - so the script worked! Yay! however its only creating one pdf - not two and its not renaming _LR _HR. I dont have a clue why it's working completly. Ive created two presets myself Print 1 and Lowres as test presets. Only one is working. See Code. I'm happy to wait on this, but just really need it by the end of this week. So close I can feel it!

d = app.activeDocument;

preset1 = app.pdfExportPresets.item ('Print1');

preset2 = app.pdfExportPresets.item ('Lowres');

exit();

}

if (d.saved){

}

else{

}

• 12. Re: Script to Export Multiple PDFs at Once

Looks as if the script expects the names of the InDesign files to end in AW. Try this:

name1 = thePath + "LR.pdf";
                              name2 = thePath + "HR.pdf";

• 13. Re: Script to Export Multiple PDFs at Once
                                rahulb1976 Level 1

Fantastic - Thanks very much for your help! Greatly appreciated!

Rahul

• 14. Re: Script to Export Multiple PDFs at Once
                                  TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Thanks for the help, Peter!

The script that rahul1976 is posting here has been modified (possibly by me for someone else). The original version on the website that I linked to initially should work fine as is (see my initial post above).

Ariel

• 15. Re: Script to Export Multiple PDFs at Once
                                    rahulb1976 Level 1

Thanks guys - Ariel your right I couldn't figure out the bit where I wanted to customise it.

Many thanks

• 16. Re: Script to Export Multiple PDFs at Once
                                      charur94718007 Level 2

I hope this change in script will help you

d = app.activeDocument; preset1 = app.pdfExportPresets.itemByName("[PDF/X-1a:2001]"); preset2 = app.pdfExportPresets.itemByName("[Smallest File Size]"); if (!(preset1.isValid && preset2.isValid)) { alert("One of the presets does not exist. Please check spelling carefully."); exit(); } if (d.saved) { thePath = String(d.fullName).replace(/\..+$/, "") + ".pdf"; thePath = String(new File(thePath).saveDlg()); } else { thePath = String((new File).saveDlg()); } thePath = thePath.replace(/\.pdf$/, ""); name1 = thePath + "_LR.pdf"; name2 = thePath + "_HR.pdf" d.exportFile(ExportFormat.PDF_TYPE, new File(name1), false, preset1); d.exportFile(ExportFormat.PDF_TYPE, new File(name2), false, preset2);

1 person found this helpful
                                      • 17. Re: Script to Export Multiple PDFs at Once
                                        schuba Level 1

Hello

Im looking for a way to iprove this script a little - that it will

- save pdfs in current indd document location

- add active layer name to output name - filename_layername_LR

anyone could help me with it ?

• 18. Re: Script to Export Multiple PDFs at Once
                                          fragmichnicht Level 1

Hello

Im looking for a way to iprove this script a little - that it will

- save pdfs in current indd document location

- add active layer name to output name - filename_layername_LR

anyone could help me with it ?

d = app.activeDocument;
                                          preset1 = app.pdfExportPresets.itemByName("[PDF/X-1a:2001]");
                                          preset2 = app.pdfExportPresets.itemByName("[Smallest File Size]");

if (!(preset1.isValid && preset2.isValid))
                                          {
                                               exit();
                                          }

thePath = d.filePath + "/" + d.name.replace(".indd", "") + "_" + d.activeLayer.name;
                                          name1 = thePath + "_HR.pdf";
                                          name2 = thePath + "_LR.pdf";

//export PDFs as Background Tasks
                                          d.asynchronousExportFile(ExportFormat.PDF_TYPE, new File(name1), false, preset1); //Hi-Res PDF
                                          d.asynchronousExportFile(ExportFormat.PDF_TYPE, new File(name2), false, preset2); //Lo-Res PDF

• 19. Re: Script to Export Multiple PDFs at Once
                                            schuba Level 1

Thank you very much. it is working, you've made my day

• 20. Re: Script to Export Multiple PDFs at Once
                                              shaylag45954664 Level 1

This is freaking fantastic!! I adjusted the code (below) to save out 3 PDFs at once and it works. YAY! What a time saver.

// BS"D

// All rights reserved (c) 2015 by Id-Extras.com

// Free to use and modify but do not delete this copyright attribution.

// This script will export 3 pdfs of the current document

// Choose the PDF presets by altering their names below

// The second PDF gets a suffix added to its name.

// Modify the line below beginning name2 = to change the suffix.

// For more InDesign scripts: www.Id-Extras.com

d = app.activeDocument;

preset1 = app.pdfExportPresets.itemByName("PRINT");

preset2 = app.pdfExportPresets.itemByName("PRESS");

preset3 = app.pdfExportPresets.itemByName("[Smallest File Size]");

exit();

}

if (d.saved){

}

else{

}

name1 = thePath+"_PRINT.pdf";

// Here you can set the suffix at the end of the name

name2 = thePath+"_PRESS.pdf";

name3 = thePath+"_DIGITAL.pdf";

d.exportFile(ExportFormat.PDF_TYPE, new File(name3), false, preset3);