• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Double clicking text box no longer re-sizes to fit content?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lately, I'm having a lot of trouble with text boxes not resizing when I double click on them. I'm not sure if this has something to do with threaded text with columns (and column breaks) but this is really frustrating.

Have I missed something? Is this how it's supposed to work? I don't feel like I was restricted by this in earlier versions?

-Just updated to CC19 on Mac and I'm still having the problem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works on my Mac with InDesign CC 2019.

If I double-click on a corner bounding box point, the Frame fits the type, both width and height.

Side bounding box points resize just the width.

Top and bottom bounding box points resize just the height.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

was that with columns and column breaks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, works even with Breaks.

Only thing I can think of is are your Hidden Characters showing? If not, turn them on. Are your Column Breaks in the same line as the last line in the column or in the next line. It can make a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean, is the text in the column even at the bottom? if so, no.

I have the same problem with threaded text. if I link a text box to another one and use a column break to move the text to the following text box, I can't double click the first box to get it to re-size to the content.Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 12.40.40 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I'm referring to. (See screen shot below.) In the center column, the Column Break is in the line after the last line of type. So if I double-click on the bottom center bounding box point, the Frame will close up to the Column Break, not the last line of actual type.

Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 9.01.42 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, there are no column breaks at the bottom of the text box. They are all directly after the type.

Is there anything in preferences that o may have changed that could be causing this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just did another test, if I have a column break anywhere in a text box, it won't resize.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's very odd. I'm at a loss.

Is this happening in just one file or lots of files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this problem for months. I just figured it was a bug that I was waiting to be updated but it just keeps happening. DO you think I'll have to reset my preferences to get to the bottom of it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am leaning that way. Odd behavior can be a sign of corrupted preferences, so I would give it a shot. Have you recently seen any other unexpected behavior?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've had other annoyances here and there but this has been the main one.

thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines