• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

administrator permissions

Contributor ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I make sure that I'm "running InDesign with Administrator permissions"? A script I'm using tells me I should do that.

InDesign CC 2018 (13.1)

macOS 10.13.6

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Run an Adobe program as administrator | Windows 7, Vista

Install or run Adobe applications in new user account | Mac OS X

There are other articles online to show you how to do this depending on your operating system.

Search for Run InDesign as Administrator - followed by your OS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 20, 2019 Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Samuel,

I am hopeful that the issue was fixed. If not, please try these steps and let us know if that helps:

Login to Root Account: How to enable the root user on your Mac or change your root password - Apple Support

Go to Location ~/Library/Preferences

• CTRL-click preferences folder and click get info

• Click the lock icon to unlock it

• Click plus symbol and add your account.

• Change permissions to read and write.

• Click the Action pop-up menu, then choose “Apply to enclosed items.”

• If you do not see your account there click on plus symbol on the bottom left corner and add account and follow same steps

Follow same steps for

~/Library/Caches

~/Library/Application support

/Library/Preferences

/Library/Caches

/Library/Application support

Note: If you are on office system, these (/Library/Application Support and/Library/Preferences) folders may or may not allow you to add the user, that is completely fine.

Restart the system into your account and check how it works.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running an app with administrator permission is dangerous. This script is risky. What script is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Test+Screen+Name  wrote

Running an app with administrator permission is dangerous. This script is risky. What script is it?

No it's not dangerous, not at all.

How can you say the script is risky, the ask what script is it?? - If you don't know what script it is, how can you say it's risky?

If you're going to lay out blanket statements that instill fear in the user by claiming these are dangerous and things are risky - then please backup your statements with more than just a single line of misinformation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eugene,

It all depends upon the trust on the developer of the script and identifying if the work done by the script does indeed require admin privileges or not. In general blindly giving privileges to an app could lead to exploitation by a malicious code or an unintended bug in the code. So its always better to be circumspect than to be sorry. On another note if the script in question did need admin privileges its developer is expected to provide those instructions on how to enable it and why it is needed, if that is not the case it only becomes natural to do your own investigation. These are my thoughts on the issue, i hope this is what Test Screen Name intended to tell in a concise manner.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Eugene

I think @Test Screen Name meant to say this type of behaviour is risky, rather than a script in particular.

Nevertheless, I have to side with TSN and Manan Joshi here, and I second Manan's points entirely.

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When an app runs as administrator it can change or damage the system - deliberately or, more often, accidentally. It's like taking off the safety cover from a dangerous machine. Of course, as with dangerous machines, it's often easier or quicker to do things without the safety cover rather than work out a safe way to do them.

It is BY DEFINITION dangerous and risky. There are times when it is necessary - that is, when you need specifically to change the system. I find it hard to imagine an InDesign script needs to change the system though, so I consider this bad practice for the script. However, if you describe it, I might grumpily agree this is needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Guys - sorry I had two forum discussions open at the same time, and I was replying to the wrong one.

Apologies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines