• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updating a catalog

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this must have been answare before.

I'm looking for a script that can take an excel or csv file an put it in an exisisting tabel in indesign.

Scenario

I have a prislist whit tables. I those tables i have, among other things, item number and price column's. What i would like to do is run the script, select the excel/csv file, lookup item number and change the price i the same row in design.

Hope it makes sense

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

can you confirm the version of InDesign and Operating System you are using.

Have you tried Data Merge?

More details at Merge data to create form letters, envelopes, or mailing labels in Adobe InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using indesign CC 13.1 on windows 10.

I haven't tried data merge, because as I understand it, data merge can't handle condition's (if col x = item number then col y = price).

Via this link you can see the final price catalog.

https://www.rc-beton.dk/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/prisliste-oj-2018-web.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The December issue (issue 116) of InDesign Magazine has a long, in-depth article on Excel for InDesign Users you may find helpful: https://indesignsecrets.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 20, 2019 Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Discussion moved to InDesign Scripting​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I just can advocate for EasyCatalog, you can tackle this with a script. But at this point you have two solutions. One is to get your hands dirty and try creating it (people will then assist you) or order this development to an experienced script writer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is possible to interact from InDesign with Excel by script directly. (Without the extra step of exporting from Excel to CSV/TXT format).
Here I wrote functions (both for PC and MAC) which read the data from Excel. That's the complex part. They work well for me for about three years.

The function for Windows has two versions:

1 — can process only one spreadsheet

2 — can process all spreadsheets in the workbook and also gets spread's name

The rest is relatively easy: a chain of 'find this — change to that operations'. You can find many examples of how to approach this: here on the forum, the 'find change by list' script which comes with InDesign, on my site.

Hope it helps.

—Kas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines