• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS install file from unknown source?

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an older version of CS4 installed on my MacBook Pro. I understand that there are problems running some of the CS4 programs on OS Mojave, but Photoshop and Illustrator seem to work fine.

For various reasons I am wanting to backup all my documents, then reinstall all my software. I was able to download the CS4 installation files from the Adobe.com website. However, when I tried to install, I got an error messages saying that the installation files are from an unknown source. So, how is it that files downloaded from Adobe are from an unknown source?

Is there a way to work around this error message?

Thanks for your help!

Walt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

I don't think the hard drive is case sensitive.

That's the message one gets installing cs4 on High Sierra thru Mojave unless one uses the install procedure outlined under

Creative Suite 5.5, 5, and 4

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/install-creative-suite-mac-os-sierra.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is because Apple did not maintain backward compatibility with old programs

CS6 and earlier programs HAVE NOT BEEN TESTED AND WILL NOT BE UPDATED for Mac El Capitan or newer operating systems

-which means that you try to use CS6 and earlier at YOUR risk of having problems due to Apple updates

-Apple did not maintain backward compatibility with old programs in El Capitan or newer operating systems

--Adobe has a workaround to Apple's problem of not maintaining backward compatibility

--READ HERE https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2301916 for an Adobe solution to installing old programs, including a link to installing the old Java runtime that is required

--Also read for more information https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2458382

--and https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/install-or-run-applications-new.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the error say unknown source or unidentified developer?

Unidentified developer is a message from the macOS Gatekeeper feature since it's looking for a current, signed certificate embedded in the software to protect you from installing malware. CS4 was released before the macOS Gatekeeper feature and its certificate checks existed.

For a workaround, see How to Allow Apps from Anywhere in macOS Gatekeeper (Mojave, Sierra, High Sierra)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

Back to trying to install CS4 on my Mac running Mojave 10.14. I've been able to download the installation files but run into this error message: "System requirement error—This software cannot be installed because the file system of the setup volume is not supported."

I have no idea what that means, but I did have a chat with apple support. The tech support person sent me to a utility director that indicated the Mac HD was AFPS. I don't know what that means either, but I would like to get the CS4 install to work.

Walt Walker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That MAY be related to Case sensitive drive formatting https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2296860

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow the directions here under Creative Suite 5.5, 5, and 4

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/install-creative-suite-mac-os-sierra.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

I'm going to give the install procedures at Installing Creative Suite on macOS 10.12 (Sierra) a try. However, the more forum posts I read and the deeper I get into Mac OS and Adobe Installations issues for an older version of Creative Suite (CS4) the more I am over my head technically. Can I hire someone at Adobe or Adobe Forum to manage any work-arounds and get the software working?

Actually, I am wanting to wipe my hard drive and start over by reinstalling everything. My questions about re-installing CS4 are about whether or not I can reinstall what already exists on my Mac.

So the question: Can I simply hire someone to make this happen?

Walt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Certainly if your hard drive is formatted as case sensitive, you won't be able to install any Creative Suite or Creative Cloud. Worth checking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

I've read about hard drives being formatted as case sensitive but I'm not sure how or if that can be changed,

I hate sounding like such a technical dullard, but is there a step-by-step procedure for changed the hard drive to non case sensitive? Or is it something I've stuck with?

As I said previously, I want to reinstall Mac OS. How far back do I need to go to install an OS that does not give me the installation problems with CS4. High Sierra or earlier?

And yes, you have beeb very helpful, Where can I go to give your service a positive rating?

Walt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think the hard drive is case sensitive.

That's the message one gets installing cs4 on High Sierra thru Mojave unless one uses the install procedure outlined under

Creative Suite 5.5, 5, and 4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Walt, you can find examples of the errors that Jeff Arola is referring to, in message #10, at Installing Creative Suite on a new Mac or macOS 10.12 (Sierra) or later

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not stuck with it, but fixing it does wipe everything off the disk and you have to start again with installing the system and getting all your stuff from backups.

Is this a recent Mac? They don't go back far enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines