6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2018 7:07 AM by SergioMatos

Extract Alt-Texts

nadine wohlfahrt Level 1

Hi everyone,

extracting Alt-Texts directly out of the Indesign-document would be great.

here is my exact Problem right now:

I have an older document, with about 200 pictures with Alt-Texts.

The Alt-Texts are unfortunately entered per hand with the Object-Export-Options in indesign, not in the Picture information itself.

Now we need only the Alt-Texts somehow extracted in a single Text-File or if possible a thumbnail of the pic with its Alt-Text beneath it.

Has anybody a solution for this Problem yet?
      I would appreciate a good workflow or workaround without klicking every picture by hand and copy and paste the Text.

Thank you very much in advance

Nadine

• 1. Re: Extract Alt-Texts
          oleh.melnyk Level 3

So, basically you need to get the plain text out of InDesign, right?

How about this workflow: export to PDF file, then open PDF in Adobe Acrobat and resave as plain text

img-2017-06-14-17-35-16.png

Alternatively, you should be able to open PDF file in Microsoft Word

• 2. Re: Extract Alt-Texts
            nadine wohlfahrt Level 1

This brings me just all the plain texts, and not the extracted ALT-texts from the images to the text document.
            Even if it also would extract the alt-texts (but I didn’t see any of them in my first try – did I do something wrong?) I would have to copy and paste the 200 snippets of alt-text out of that document, right?  – It would still be a first solution of the problem, of course.

• 3. Re: Extract Alt-Texts
              oleh.melnyk Level 3

Sorry, I probably misunderstood what alt-text is - I thought that was image captions

Can you clarify what you mean by "extracting alt-texts"? Maybe some screenshots?

UPD

Oh, now I understand what is alt texts... what you need probably can be done with custom InDesign script

• 4. Re: Extract Alt-Texts
                oleh.melnyk Level 3

OK, try this script:

Dropbox - ExportAltText.jsx

https://indesignsecrets.com/how-to-install-scripts-in-indesign.php

So, basically, all you need is to open your InDesign document, then "open" (double-click) on my script.

It will go through all images in the document and get all Alt Text, then save them to the desktop txt file in the format:

IMAGE_NAME

ALT_TEXT

IMAGE_NAME

ALT_TEXT

• 5. Re: Extract Alt-Texts
                  nadine wohlfahrt Level 1

Wow, this seems to work!

I tested it only on a small file yet, and will try the bigger one in the next days, because I’m not on my workstation right now.

Thank you very much for this script – you are a lifesaver!

Best regards, happily,

Nadine

• 6. Re: Extract Alt-Texts
                    SergioMatos Level 1

Hello,

This might not be possible but with the Export Alt Text Script above, can this be then reversed after?

After an Export, if I needed to change any of the alt text in the AltText.txt file then import it back to Indesign?

AltText-Export.jsx

//DESCRIPTION: This script will export all all text into single txt document on your desktop.

#target indesign

var images = app.activeDocument.allGraphics; // .itemLink.name

var altTextFilePath = "~/Desktop/AltText.txt";

var file = new File(altTextFilePath);

file.open('w');

for(var i=0; i < images.length; i++){

file.write(  images[i].itemLink.name + "\n" + images[i].parent.objectExportOptions.customAltText + "\n\n" );

}

file.close();

alert('You can find "AltText.txt" file on your desktop', "Done");