• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Two computers, one external drive

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have LR CC Classic installed on a PC and a Laptop. My LR photos are on an external drive that I keep attached to the PC.  I use LR on the Laptop when on vacation, and put photos into a catalog on that.  When I get home, if I plug the external drive into the Laptop and import the photos to it, will they be visible to LR on the PC when I put the external back onto that machine?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

If you don't want to carry the hard drive that has your main catalog and all your photos with you when you're traveling and only want to work on photos that you capture during your travel, then this video tutorial shows the process of exporting a catalog and the negative files (i.e. originals) from your laptop and importing them into your main catalog back home.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what I suggest: place the catalog and all associated files for LR on that external drive. That's what I do and then yes, very easy to move all that data from computer to computer and backup (clone) that drive to others. You want to use the "Store Presets with Catalog" option in preferences, then that important data will also reside on that external drive. This process of having all the necessary files for LR and all your photo's on one external drive will make this very easy to handle.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you'll find additional informations about using the LR catalog on multiple computers:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-to-lightroom-catalog-multiple-computers/

Here is a good article about a workflow for travelling:

Travel Photographers Workflow - At Home and on the Road

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't want to carry the hard drive that has your main catalog and all your photos with you when you're traveling and only want to work on photos that you capture during your travel, then this video tutorial shows the process of exporting a catalog and the negative files (i.e. originals)...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2018 Dec 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great video! Just what I needed. Thanks Laura!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad to hear it, LarryM48​ - you're welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried this, and when I try to Import into the desktop I get the message “In order to use this catalog, Lightroom must close the current catalog and restart. Do you want to relaunch Lightroom with …lrcat? Do I simply need to rename the main catalog on my PC to the same as on the desktop, or what? Thanks. Sorry to bother you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You chose File>Open rather than File>Import from Another Catalog - do the latter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Duh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines