• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color Picker in InDesign CC 2019 Freezes Up

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone else had this issue? Anytime I want to use the color picker to grab a color from an outside image or what-have-you and it just won't do anything? In my experience, it does this 90% of the time and after it won't do anything the window just freezes and I can't even close out of it. I have reset my preferences and it worked for a day then it started doing it again.

Is this a bug? if so, when is going to get fixed? It's really annoying.

If it's useful information, I am on a Mac.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Outside chance: Because you're dragging from one application to another to do the sampling, it could be a Finder issue (something in your Mac system). You could try launching from another user (if necessary, set up another one in System Preferences > Users & Groups). Launch InDesign in your new clean user and retry the same thing there. If you're an admin user, you should be able to run InDesign from another user space.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Mac version are you running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's running High Sierra 10.13.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's make sure exactly what you're doing. I would double-click the Fill box at the bottom of the tools to bring up the Color Picker. If I'm in RGB mode (as shown below), you can click the Eyedropper tool (circled). Holding it down I can move outside of InDesign's window to pick up color from another application or the Finder (I chose Photoshop).

ColorPicker.png

Is this what you're doing? Does this happen every time? It's always worked for me (macOS 10.14.2, InDesign CC 2019.0.1)

Have you applied the October update to CC 2019.0.1 (14.0.1)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is exactly how I am doing and how I have always done it. It does nothing, then the window freezes up. I am unable to hit 'cancel' or 'OK'. I either have to wait awhile or FORCE QUITE InDesign.

EDIT: Yes, my InDesign is up-to-date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this happening in one file, or in all files? If it's one file, the file could be corrupted.

You said you reset your preferences. There are at least two methods of doing that which are described below. Which did you use? The keyboard method after quitting InDesign and relaunching? Or removing the files described below?

Set preferences in Adobe InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's happening in every file. And I actually called Adobe Customer Service for this issue and they were the ones who reset my preferences... I am unsure which one they did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Outside chance: Because you're dragging from one application to another to do the sampling, it could be a Finder issue (something in your Mac system). You could try launching from another user (if necessary, set up another one in System Preferences > Users & Groups). Launch InDesign in your new clean user and retry the same thing there. If you're an admin user, you should be able to run InDesign from another user space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so that actually did work!

Very interesting....

Would that mean I would have to completely reset my Mac and start all over?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, probably not necessarily right away. You found the workaround for that particular problem which is to switch to the other user to sample the color. But if you're like most Mac users, you probably haven't done a "clean install" of an operating system for a very long time. Usually we just do the default, which is to apply an OS update to the next version on top of what's already installed. That means that corruption can continue and never get fixed.

So eventually you need to do a clean install. Do a Google search on "macintosh operating system clean install" and you can get directions for doing a clean install easily, like this one:

How to Run a Clean Install of macOS Sierra 10.12

Or this one:

How to do a clean install of macOS Mojave | iMorehttps://www.imore.com/how-do-clean-install-macos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2019 Mar 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is not a Mac problem. This is an After Effects problem. Against my will, I am on a PC at work.  Three times I have tried to use the eye dropper and three times it crashed. I rebooted the computer after the second time, thinking it might be a memory or resources issue but clearly it was not. This is a glitch that Adobe is going to have to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines