• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please help with catalog question, and using 2 computers

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have been searching for the answer to this all day, to no avail.  Can anyone tell me if this can be done, and if so, how?

Computer 1:  Desktop, Windows 10, Lightroom 5, this computer is not connected to internet.  I am not using adobe cloud or dropbox etc.  I have one catalog, with all images located on external drives connected to this desktop.  There are 10's of thousands of images on these drives and in this catalog.  They are stored in folders such as this:

>Originals

>>2010

>>>2010-1-10-(folder contains images shot this date)

>>>2010-1-12

>>>2010-1-14

>>2011

>>>2011-1-22

>>>2011-2-14

>>2012

Etc.

Up until this point all of my editing in LR was done on this desktop.

Computer 2: Laptop, windows 10,

Llightroom 5 just installed.  I have no original images on this laptop, therefore no images in Lightroom, or in a catalog.

Here is my question:  Can I export a group of folders as a catalog ( for instance all subfolders within 2010) from my desktop, including the metadata and previews-but not the originals-and import that catalog into LR on the laptop.  Will I be able to view the previews and edit them?  I am trying to sort the images and rank them only.

Once I finish ranking the images, can I then export the catalog from the laptop and import to LR on my desktop, merging the 2 catalogs?  In doing so, the images (previews) that I ranked on the laptop will replace the previous settings in the original desktop catalog?  My goal is to give the rejects a single star while working on the laptop, then once the desktop is updated with the changes made on the laptop, I can delete the one star labeled images (the originals) from my hard drive.  Then repeat the process with another folder such as 2011, continuing to work in 'small' batches.

Is this workflow possible, and if so, can you please help this geezer with some specific instructions? 
Thank you all very much!

Edit:   If this is possible, and I export a group of 4 folders to work on the laptop, then when I bring that catalog file back to the desktop will only the 4 folders be updated, with the original edits of my other folders intact?  I don't want to lose edits that I've done over the years.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best solution that I can think of is to hook up the desired external drive(s) to computer 2, copy the catalog file from computer 1 to computer 2, and work on computer 2. When you are done, you would have to copy the catalog file back to computer 1 (and replace the existing catalog file).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so I do need access to the originals on computer 2 (laptop)?  It's true that I cannot accomplish this with a catalog on computer 2 that has the previews only, while leaving the hard drive connected to computer 1?  I'm trying not to move the hard drive as it's being used by another person.  But If I need to I may have a workaround....

Thank you for your fast reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you want a more difficult solution where the hard drive doesn't move.

On Computer 1, create Smart Previews for the desired photos. Then transfer the catalog and smart previews to computer 2. The catalog on computer 2 does not need the photos if the smart previews are present. Do your work on computer 2, when done copy the catalog file back to computer 1. All of this assumes that no work is being done in the catalog on computer 1 while you are working on it using computer 2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much!!! Awesome response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exporting and importing catalogs will get you where you want to go.

When exporting the partial catalog to the laptop, pay attention to the options for handling the original image files. You may need to copy the image files, at least temporarily, for the smart previews to be generated.

Since the desktop catalog already has the image files with it, importing the edits from the laptop will not need to bring the image files back over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines