• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cropping unwanted parts from the imported image.

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 11.21.50 PM.png

Hello guys, I'm a newbie to illustrator. And I'm currently working on a logo for the school project. And I don't want to use gradient for the colors so I overlapped these two images and made them transparent while color dodging the logo. But I can't use shape builder tool to easily "Alt"-cut out the unwanted parts. Is there something I can do about this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

There are two possibilities.

If this is a bitmap, you can select it and under the Object menu choose Crop Image. This command will delete anything outside the cropping area.

If this is vector, or a combination of bitmap and vector, you can select all the objects. Object > Group them for convenience. Then draw a shape that is the size you want for the crop. The shape must be on top of the other objects. Then select everything and choose Object > Clipping Mask > Make. This command will hide the area

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks like a bitmapped image. Am I right? If so, you'd need Photoshop to edit it. Illustrator is ideal for creating/editing vectors, but raster stuff... not so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two possibilities.

If this is a bitmap, you can select it and under the Object menu choose Crop Image. This command will delete anything outside the cropping area.

If this is vector, or a combination of bitmap and vector, you can select all the objects. Object > Group them for convenience. Then draw a shape that is the size you want for the crop. The shape must be on top of the other objects. Then select everything and choose Object > Clipping Mask > Make. This command will hide the area outside the clipping mask, but will not delete it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Assuming the "unwanted parts" is anything outside the logo?

If so, make a copy of the logo vector, paste in place, select it and the backgound graphic, right click ---> create layer mask

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines