• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I disconnect/ungroup overlapping shapes in my image?

Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported my design into Illustrator to vectorize it. My challenge is, my letters overlap and I can't work on them individually. Ungrouping them the standard way won't work because they were designed together as is.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 4.05.45 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Adobe Capture makes shapes of everything. And of course all the shapes are connected.

You really only want to color the insides of the letters?

In that case just leave the trace as it is and then use the live paint feature to fill the letters.

Make sure to activate the gap detection in Object > Live Paint > Gap detection.

How to create and work with Live Paint groups in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need to cut this in order to break them apart.

First Expand the Image trace, then use the obvious tools

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/adjust-path-segments.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Expand is unavailable when I have the shape selected. Any thoughts?

Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 5.01.19 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you can edit right away

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but my letter shapes are still connected and I can't edit them individually. I must be missing something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read the link I posted?

You will need to cout paths and re-connect other paths in order to edit this.

What do you want to do? Colorize them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did read it. I'll need to slow down and read more carefully again. And yes, I'd like to color the letters and add gradients where they overlap, etc.

Thank you, Monika. I'll definitely re-read the article you sent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a raster image that you want to trace, am i understanding correctly?

An image trace will produce artwork with the same overlap, so you will not have much room for edits.

However, if you trace with the pen tool, you can draw the letters complete, on seperate layers giving you more options

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It originated as an inked drawing and I imported it with Capture to vectorize it. I applied an Image Trace to it already. Does that mean I'm left using the pen tool?

I wanted to add color, but at this point it will obviously fill more than one area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case, making it a Live Paint object may work for adding color, but I have limited experience with that function.... anyone?

My pre- LivePaint coloring method:

Expand the object to turn any lines to shapes ( I believe this is where you're at)

Select this lineart and use "Unite" ( makes it one peice)

Draw a filled box around the artwork, filled with any color but black or white

Send this box behind the artwork ( Object > Arrange > Send to back )

Select everything, and use the Merge command in the Pathfinder

Now you can use the direct select tool to select the colored fill areas and change their color as you please. ( as well as selecting the outside filled area and delete it)

* Edit, forgot the third step

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll check that out Scooter. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I copied your image into illustrator from the post above

applied image trace

expanded lines and fills

was able to select individual letters and color as needed.  (see results at bottom)

*You might want to start with just the scan/jpg to image trace. Your nodes in screenshot above seem to show that only the outer lines of the letters were traced. See yellow area below.

-Dax

outer-trace.png

love.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True, after live image trace Make+Expand you can select the filled areas with the direct select tool and edit them ( the fills will be white)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool Dax! I have to step away for a bit, but I’ll check out your suggestion.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still not figuring this thing out. The image was vectorized with Capture, I've tried using "cut path" and I still can't edit one portion at a time.

I can't even do what @maxwithdax did above!Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 8.27.32 PM.png

I still have the same issue as seen in the pic. Bummer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out this video I threw together regarding your image. It should shed some light on what you might be missing and a few things you can do to clean it up. As always, there are 10 different ways to do anything in Adobe programs, so the way I did it in this video is just one way. But at least it should point you in the right direction.

How to Image trace a simple logo - YouTube

- Dax

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super! Thank you very much @maxwithdax! I appreciate you helping me out with the great video. I'll dive in shortly and get to work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Capture makes shapes of everything. And of course all the shapes are connected.

You really only want to color the insides of the letters?

In that case just leave the trace as it is and then use the live paint feature to fill the letters.

Make sure to activate the gap detection in Object > Live Paint > Gap detection.

How to create and work with Live Paint groups in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im not sure what your desired end result is-

If you just want to add/edit colors in the piece than all of the above methods will work. If you are trying to move the individual letters around independently, you will probably be better off tracing the art with the pen tool. It is possible to cut all these paths apart and try and fill in the gaps, but IMO it would be more time efficient to pen tool out the letters. (Just the outlines of the letters, the linework and flourishes can be easily salvaged)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you ScooterD76​! That definitely could be an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines