• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generic Pixelated Image

Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a software that allows users to generate a PDF report. There are PNG files saved in the temp folder that do not always transfer properly into the PDF - a generic pixelated image appears like the one below. Regardless of zoom setting. This happens to only a handful of users (less than 2%). The generic "sheet of paper" icons should be check boxes, the large blur should be a nice line graph..

Any tips are much appreciated.

wrong checkbox image.png

blurred chart.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is something you need to look into in the application that produces the PDF files. Reader is not involved in that process. It only displays them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the software application is where the issue is, why then does this only affect a very small percentage of users? We looked at the software and could not find any bug, assumed it was a user-specific computer setting - possibly browser related?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're opening the file in a browser? If so, which one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some users have Edge as the default browser, some google chrome, some open in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. The issue does not seem to discriminate among different operating systems/versions. One user who got the pixelated image of the graph was initially opening the PDF via Microsoft Edge, I had him switch to Adobe and the issue persists. Weird thing is, we have a mobile app that has never had the problem occur; only the desktop software version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Edge and Chrome use an internal PDF viewer, unrelated to Reader. So if you see the same in all of them I would say it's an issue with the file itself. If you could share a sample file that would be helpful...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a simple test you can make. Get a "bad" file like the one you show. Take it to a "good" system and view it in Reader. (Use a USB stick for preference, not email).

What do you see?

- the same bad thing?

- the good thing you always wanted?

- something different again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a user with a "bad" PDF send me their raw data file (.json). I upload the .json file into my software, then generate a PDF in Reader and my output is always a "good" file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

blyons99  wrote

I had a user with a "bad" PDF send me their raw data file (.json). I upload the .json file into my software, then generate a PDF in Reader and my output is always a "good" file.

You're not "generating a PDF in Reader". Reader can't create PDF files. You're generating the file in your software and then ​opening​ it in Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That image is a part of the file. I'm seeing the same in Acrobat. You should go back to the application that created it to solve this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. But what is the result of the test I suggested?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned above, my software user emailed me a raw data file (.json) which produces a "bad" image in their PDF. When I upload their raw data file into my software, then generate a PDF, my output is a good file with the correct imagery. I am not able to save their file from the users home computer to a USB since I am not in the proximity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure you can find another way to get the user's file. But the one you posted is informative. It certainly contains a blurry icon of a page. My money is very much on a fault in the software that makes the file or its setup. Have you asked the guys who made it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback. I assumed that since only about 20 out of 1000 users experience this issue that it was a problem on the user's end. Our software developers have not had enough time to take a detailed look into what may be causing the issue. One suggestion they offered was to check to see if the images files (PNG) are stored in the temp folder on the user's computer. In at least one instance, the PNG file was located in the temp folder, but the image was pixelated in the same manner as the PDF. All user's see the image as intended within the software, only when viewing the PDF is the image pixelated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is that the software is picking up the wrong graphic file when making the PDF. You might find that the user's actions (e.g. using a temporary file) are the problem, or it might be that the software is reading the wrong file name or directory. It might also be that an API is sometimes failing and picking up a default image.  Observe that there is only one substitution image NOT two different ones: it's just scaled and rotated in the big picture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for the help. I will forward some of these points to the team in hopes that a light bulb goes off!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2018 Dec 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My guess is there's a reference to an image file that doesn't exist in the source material, so the application replaces it with this generic image placeholder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines