Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Numbers being added to ToC Chapters... can't turn them off

Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 3.19.41 PM.png

My Table of Contents starts to add these numbers to the end of my Paragraph Style "Chapter Heading". I've looked to see what differences exist for the "9 Retreat" text vs. the "10 Destiny" and so on, but can't find a solution. It continues until the next level ToC entry.

Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 3.24.32 PM.png

Here is the text in question in the book:

Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 3.23.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 3.23.18 PM.png

And the rest of the ToC with this issue:

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2018 Dec 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dadagrrr ,

what's your version of InDesign?

Look under Help > About InDesign when holding the Ctrl key or the Cmd key when on Mac OS X.

If it is InDesign CC 2019 your issue could be perhaps related to a bug with TOC building I can see here:

2 Headings in 1 cell is displayed incorrectly in the TOC – Adobe InDesign Feedback

At least I can see that the TOC feature in CC 2019 has some bugs.

What can you do?

Save your document to IDML, open the IDML file with InDesign CC 2018.1 and try to build the TOC with that version of InDesign.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried the first one, no luck. You'd think that if that were the case, it'd apply to all the Chapter Heading styles, not just arbitrarily starting halfway down.

Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 8.17.26 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Uwe. I have a feeling it's a bug as I can't copy and paste from a clean page where it isn't happening and paste it into the offending pages.

I just updated to 14.0.1 and no improvement.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show us a screenshot from the styles dialog for the used style ‘ToC Chaper Heading’, specific the Numbered list setting from that Paragraph Style please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frans, like this?

Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 9.49.36 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. So they do not auto number. And they are not typed in hard in the original text? I mean: you should not be able to select the numbers in the original text. Strange...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, strange indeed. I'm using text variables for all those Chapter Headings and no additional text is hidden. It's something programmatic because it reflects the page number the Heading is one +20. 😕

Once I'm done with complete layout, I'm going to manually adjust the TOC unless adobe comes out with an improvement. Unless there's still something I can't quite figure out. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you have paragraph numbering turned - check your bullets and numbering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried that, see my response to Barb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it's not. And why would it start halfway down?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dadagrrr:

There are two ways to add numbers to the TOC (and the same two ways disable them):

1. Pull in the numbers from the source documents when you generate the TOC—use Exclude Numbers on the bottom row to stop this behavior.
    Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 8.44.05 AM.png
  2. Add the numbers to the TOC using Bullets and Numbering—disable numbering for your style to turn this off.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text variables? That you have to explain because numbered items do not use Text variables. Can you elaborate? Maybe that is where the problems come from...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using them throughout the book and they shouldn't be breaking anything. Plus, the 9 other pages aren't showing it before this page either.

Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 11.24.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 11.24.49 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, yes, if I do remove the text variables starting on the offending page, the issue goes away. Just a pain as they should work, like they are throughout the doc, with them in place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a file - even a sample file with dummy text that shows the issue?

I reckon there's hidden numbers going in the text  being hidden by some sort of para/chara style... just a guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe, but I've copied the non-offending ones, duplicated spreads, etc. and it still starts happening.

I could possibly create a dummy version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a dummy version of the book showing the same issue (Karma 7)

9 Retreat & 11 Karma have Text Variables

10 Destiny has no text variables and is direct input text.

Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CPWsVzA9kO2Hpzgw1TLhUP0MQbcxzAqr​

Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 11.33.50 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2018 Dec 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I don't know why you hava a lot of Text Variables setup. There's certainly no reason I can see for them.

In Type>Text Variables>Define

I convert MA Name to text and the issue goes away.

Somehow, the text variable appears to be picking up on the page number you're on.

I didn't dig deep into how this happened, but it's very complex.

There's no need to have all those hidden text frames on all the pages too - the document is over complicated. Why are all the headings inserted as Text Variables? There's absolutely no need for this.

You can can actually convert all your text variables to text, remove the hidden text layer and work that way - it's a lot cleaner.

However, I just wanted to let you know the problem is somewhere intwined with Text Variable called MA Name.

I don't know why though - as I said your document is setup in an unusual way and I can't see any reason why it needs to be setup this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Eugene and Frans.

Yes, I know that plain text works. I was using the text variables because it was easier for me to populate the hidden frames when creating the document and I was experimenting with them.

And, thanks, but no thanks, Frans. This is just a reduced version of my document and it's working fine all other things considered in the master document. I've laid out four books so far using InDesign and don't need to "start from scratch" or "hire someone" for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, sorry, no offence 😉 But I can not get my head around the way that you set this up...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree Fran its a strange setup and I dont get it either.

No need to start over or to hire someone.

Get rid of the text variables convert all them to text.

Get rid of the non printing layer.

I still dont know how the page number is being linked, it is very much a lot things going on and reliant on each other, a lot of overkill in setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2018 Dec 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, no surprise that I am over complicating it. I was trying to create one location for variables used in the titles and running headers, but have since manually input the text and the issue is gone.

On to indexing fun!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you define a text variable for each of the chapter names?

What happens if you just use regular text?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I've got a text variable for each Chapter Heading (10 Destiny, etc.).

When I just place plain text, it works. Issue is, all the other Headings before the issue also use text variables, so then why an issue now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines