• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import does not find any images. How do I fix it?

New Here ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated from Lightroom Classic CC 7.5 to Lightroom Classic 8.0, in both versions for some months now I have been unable to import photos using the "Import Photos and Videos . . ." option on the file menu. When I open that, it goes to the card or file folder I have specified, but it doesn't find any images there. How do I fix it.

I have been using an auto-import folder as a work-around and that works. But I would like to be able to go back to doing it directly.

I'm running Lightroom on Windows 10 Pro, version 1809.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the Destination Panel expanded and pointing to an actual folder that exists?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please share a screen shot of your import windows, the entire window, both sides, top and bottom, with the SD card in

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure! Here is a screen shot after I put the card in:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you expand the Destination panel on the right side of the Import dialog box? Is it pointing to a folder that actually exists?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2018 Dec 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Sorry I've been off line for a few days.
If I point to a folder that exists and has pictures, it doesn't find images regardless of whether the folder is on an SD card or a hard drive.

Example looking at a C drive folder

Lightroom import function:

Actual folder in the file browser:

Example looking at SD Card:

And the file explorer window:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to troubleshoot this step by step:

1: Reset the preferences. Corrupted preferences can cause all kind of strange behavior, and Lr7.5 and Lr8 share the same preference file. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

2: If that does not work, check that this is not catalog corruption. Create a brand new catalog and try with that one.

3: If that does not work either, uninstall and reinstall Lightroom.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may sound crazy, but it has worked for people in the past

1. Click on COPY. (Yes, I know you want to do an ADD, but click on COPY anyway)
  2. Expand the Destination Panel on the right. If the Destination Panel is not present, then right-click on File Handling and select Destination from the dropdown menu that appears)
  3. Click back on ADD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dj_paige  wrote

2. Expand the Destination Panel on the right. If the Destination Panel is not present, then right-click on File Handling and select Destination from the dropdown menu that appears)
  3. Click back on ADD

His second screenshot (the one with the SD card) already shows that copy doesn’t work either.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JohanEl54  wrote

His second screenshot (the one with the SD card) already shows that copy doesn’t work either.

It doesn't show the destination expanded and set, which is where the problem lies. The fix for this weird behavior that sometimes works is to expand and set a destination and then simply switch back to add.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

JohanEl54  wrote

dj_paige   wrote

3. Click back on ADD

The second screen shot does not show the Destanation panel expanded and properly pointing to a folder that exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On second screen, SD card, uncheck Dont import suspected duplicates. Mind you if that was the issue why does the first screen not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also in the SD card copy attempt, go back and top left, go thru the steps to select a destination, make sure it will navigate into your hard drive directory structure. Maybe pick a different location (diagnostic step)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on what is highlighted in your shot, you are looking in the wrong place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Followup. Looks like I am wrong on my above.

Inquiry: does being selective on when you place your SD card into the reader affect what LR presents you?

In other words

If the SD card is in before u=you start LR, does it fail.

Or, if the SD card is in after you start LR but before you try an import?

Or if you place the SD card in after you try the import?

Three possible workflows around inserting the SD card and running LR and trying the import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was going to suggest exactly what dj just suggested. There is a weird bug that sometimes (not always) makes images not show up if the destination is not set or set to a nonexistent location even when not using copy or move. Don't know if that's it but would be first suggestion. It can also be that these images simply already exist in your catalog but you probably checked that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in case, some info might be usefully, or at least will eliminate possibility of a odd little quirk.

In LR click on help, click on system information, click on copy, paste that into a reply (down to just after plugins, rest of that is for Adobe Nerds)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines