• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GREP to replace text with a vector graphic?

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a linked Excel file in a formatted InDesign file. I want to replace all the "Full" and "Half" text with either a small circle filled in or a small circle that is half filled. Would I be able to do this with GREP find/replace?

Essentially I want the linked Excel "Full" text to show a vector or image of a full circle and the linked Excel "Half" text to show a half filled circle vector or image.

I would rather not do this manually since this is a living, breathing document that is updated at least once quarterly, but I'm struggling to find an alternative method!

[Discussion moved from Adobe Creative Cloud to InDesign by moderator]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Hi Uwe,

that is exactly what I mean in my post #2

Laubender  schrieb

… So we'd perhaps need a font with "H" showing a half circle, an "F" showing a full circle and an "O" or "0" showing an empty circle.

All that and three GREP Styles to kick in the right font with a character style and a fourth one that will make "alf" and "ull" invisible and tiny …

… one step further:

Indiscripts :: IndyFont | Build OpenType Fonts from within InDesign!

The full version (for little money) could be the best solution for

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone else might be able to do it in one step, but one way is to do it in two steps. Copy the full circle > search for “full” and paste what you have copied. Repeat for “half”.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 08, 2018 Dec 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

[…] and paste what you have copied.

This part may be a bit more automated. After copying your graphic (or another font’s character) to clipboard, in F/C dialog, GREP tab:

Find what: \bFull\b

Change to: ~c

~c stands for Clipboard Contents, Formatted. Rinse and repeat with Half. And remember, GREP is case sensitive by default.

In one click? With a script, why not, but it hardly worth bothering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show something!

Maybe you don't need graphics - perhaps possible with another font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2018 Dec 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/pixxxel+schubser  schrieb

Please show something!

Maybe you don't need graphics - perhaps possible with another font.

Again.

I prefer the way without embedded or anchored objects - if possible (depend on you design).

Characters always can be searched and replaced with grep and furthermore colorized and formatted in size and position with an own character style.

aab.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kasyan Servetsky has a script that will replace text marked up with @ symbols (i.e. @colin.jpg@ ) with an inline image of the same name. Perhaps take a look at his script: http://www.kasyan.ho.com.ua/indesign/image/place_inline_images.html

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for fun...

Michel [FRIdNGE])

Knowing that lowercase l (L) is a circle in Windings font, some Grep magic could automate the whole thing

jsut4fun.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All thank you so much for the replies! I consider myself an intermediate/advanced intermediate user of InDesign, but I have very little experience with Grep. I'm going to try out a few suggestions above and see what is easiest.

Attached is an example of my table, so far. It looks like the method Pixxxel or Vinny suggested will be my best route.

However....I'm totally intrigued by the script from Colin. I can see that being used in the future for a lot of my needs!

I'll be back with what worked when complete.

Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 3.18.51 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kmanlovetuthill​,

thank you for your example (pic).

Only one word per cell is a "good to know" fact.

Can you show us how the final result should looks like? And show us your full and your half circle, please. And if possible can you share a reduced example indd or idml?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can share a flattened example! (Proprietary info for my company is in a few lines, unfortunately!)2019 Policy Deployment-121018.jpg

Since I am not that excellent on this topic, I ended up doing the clipboard option. I did Full circles, half, and empty circles. I can provide the code and a screenshot if need be for others though. I simply created the 3 circles at .13", exported as individual PNG's, opened a circle, ran the find/replace Grep then rinsed and repeated. (I have a 34"x22" document currently, so I needed a larger graphic.) Everything is all packaged up on our network, so while this isn't completely automated, I only have to complete like 6 clicks and export a new PDF to update the horrendous Excel file lol.

You guys sure helped me out while we have our international crew in for 2019 planning. Kudos to all!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just for information :

You have 3 different symbols : half circle, full circle and empty circles.

What are your "triggers": Half, Full and... ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vinny38  wrote

just for information :

You have 3 different symbols : half circle, full circle and empty circles.

What are your "triggers": Half, Full and... ?

"Half", "Full" and an "O" ( or a "0" ??). See the screenshot in reply 7.

So we'd perhaps need a font with "H" showing a half circle, an "F" showing a full circle and an "O" or "0" showing an empty circle.

All that and three GREP Styles to kick in the right font with a character style and a fourth one that will make "alf" and "ull" invisible and tiny.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

that is exactly what I mean in my post #2

Laubender  schrieb

… So we'd perhaps need a font with "H" showing a half circle, an "F" showing a full circle and an "O" or "0" showing an empty circle.

All that and three GREP Styles to kick in the right font with a character style and a fourth one that will make "alf" and "ull" invisible and tiny …

… one step further:

Indiscripts :: IndyFont | Build OpenType Fonts from within InDesign!

The full version (for little money) could be the best solution for kmanlovetuthill

(or more steps and using Windings2 font)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This technique from Daniel Solis (Card at Work youtube channel) is also a good way to do this. It's a portmanteau of Vinny38's technique and Pixxxel Schubser's techniques put together: Card at Work: 10 - How to Make Inline Dingbat Icons in Text - YouTube

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines