Exit

Bug: Date Import reset to 1970

Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2018 Dec 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic CC 8.0

Camera Fujifilm X-T3 firmware v1.02

Trying to import images, and Lightroom is reading all image data date as 1/1/1970 3:59:59 AM.

The images have the correct date and time stamp on the camera.

This never happened before, and I imported with no issues a couple of weeks ago, from same camera.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Is this info via LR, via Library module, via Metadata? Show us a screen shot

2. While your are at it, check your computers date/time (could effect modified date, accessed date, etc)

3. Any presets being applied at import? Especially a user created preset??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 10.59.12 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-12-08 at 10.58.55 PM.png

You can see here that after importing 337 files that I took today 12/7/18, LR imported them into a folder called 1970-01-01. I noticed that the date of 1970 was on all images before importing (hovering over the previews before importing). Then they were created in this folder date 1970. But, when I click on "I" and see the above, the date and time are correct.

This never happened before and it's only after I upgraded both LR a week or two ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So its the name of the folder thats at issue, not the metadata in a particular image?

Different problem.

Well have to google on that, I think a tread in this very forum exists on that issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Computer date is fine, and no presents applied or anything different from normal workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 11.05.24 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google on "lightroom import wrong date"

One result: Photos importing with wrong folder date?  (possible work around way near bottom thread)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid that's a different bug. The above link is about a change of a day or so. This is resetting everyone to Jan 1, 1970. So as I try to import images from many different days, LR is putting them in the same folder of Jan 1, 1970.

I never seen this before and I've been using LR for more than five years including every update.

It's also not only the folder names. While Importing the previews of all images have the same date and time.

That's a new bug in LR importing from Fujifilm cameras.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's likely this is an old bug with somewhat different symptoms. There are two workarounds that have helped others:

1. Import by putting the SD card into a card reader rather than using a USB cable to connect to the camera. This has helped many others, and most recently, it helped someone with a Fuji XT-2: Re: Lightroom doesn't read the date of my files before importing .

2. If the bug still occurs when importing from a card reader, try importing from the Files section rather than the Devices section, as described here: Re: Photos importing with wrong folder date?

Both of these workarounds cause LR to get the folder date directly from the file metadata rather than via the PTP camera protocol, which seems to be the proximate cause of the bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, thanks for the tips. I’m afraid these aren’t an option for me because I don’t have a card reader.

Im using the newer Mac laptops with only USB-C. It was exciting to find out the new X-T3 also uses USB-C so I don’t need an extra cable to transfer images, and use the same Mac charging cable for both file transfers directly from the camera, as well as charging the camera itself. Much lighter options while traveling.

I had success with the correct date, as mentioned above, while transferring from same camera to same laptop using same cable. Something happened in last release or update of Adobe. Perhaps something got corrupted in the recent Fujifilm firmware.

How do we notify Adobe of the bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can by a USB card reader for $11 from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Portable-Reader-RS-MMC-Micro/dp/B006T9B6R2/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=...

Adobe wants bug reports posted to the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom Classic CC | Photoshop Family Customer Community . I think it's unlikely Adobe will ever address this issue, since the related time zone bug importing with a cable was submitted 7 years ago and acknowledged by Adobe, but they've clearly decided not to fix it.

As described in the other post, this could be a bug in Mac, in the camera firmware, or in LR, all three of which are responsible for implementing the PTP protocol LR uses for import via cable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The card-reader workaround is OK for my SLR but nowadays most of my photos come from my phone and this bug presents a BIG issue as effectively I can't create reliable and usable backups of my phone images.

The fact that the import from files workaround doesn't work either and does exactly the same thing means this is a huge headache for me (and possibly many others). It's a grind to import to another app and export for LR. Really makes me wonder why I bother.

Bring back Aperture! Actually Photos.app is becoming more attractive, LR really was a bad move for me, it's still as awful to use as it was 7 years ago but now Adobe cornered the market so we're shafted.

Was this really first reported 7/8 years ago?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your issue with your phone is the problem with the wrong date being used in import, change your import file strategy from that date related folders, to a single folder one, see what happens,

also, rename images upon import to YYYYMMDD_hhmmss format (the dates and time should key off capture time)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2018 Dec 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you John. I ordered a card reader, although one wishes this is resolved so we don't need to carry extra gadgets.

I think it can also be an issue with Fuji updated firmware v1.02. Because all worked fine before that update as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a test, I created a new catalog, and attempted an import from my X-T3 via the USB cable. This on a Retina MAC Book Pro 2015, High Sierra. Note that while my PC's started with LR v1, this MAC started with Creative Cloud. so no pre Creative Cloud detritus on it.

The import did not have your problem.

Note that normally, I do not organize by date (very against that organization strategy). and I use a card reader (yes I am a militant anti connect camera to computer), so I scratch my head when users have issues with either. Oh well..Actually took awhile to find the correct cable, and to switch to file by date .

So, I do not know if the bug comes up occasionally for no reason, or if it is stuffed in some bit of code in older copies that may have left some stuff over from past installs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which X-T3 firmware are you on?

im on the latest 1.02 which was released last month.

Befoer that upgrade, I never had this issue before. i upgraded both Fuji firmware and LR CC Classic from Creative Cloud at same time. So I can’t tell which one caused this issue.

Also, I’m using USB-C on both ends of a MacBook Pro 15”  2017 and on the X-T3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.02 just double checked

USB C camera end, USB 3 computer end

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2019 Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just started for me as well. I've been using Lightroom for years and never had this issue, and I import directly from the camera (D850) with a usb C cable (no adapters) to a MacBook Pro. Nothing has recently been updated as far as I know. Even in January 2019 things were working fine. The problem began when I reorganized my catalogs into their own folders...any idea how that might've caused this mess?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 28, 2019 Feb 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just started for me as well.

What are the precise symptoms you're seeing? 

As described above, LR has long had issues with capture dates when importing via USB cables, and Adobe has clearly decided not to fix the problems. You can try the two workarounds: Re: Bug: Date Import reset to 1970

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2019 Mar 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't think my issue is related to the aforementioned LR issue with capture dates. Luckily I was in a position that I could delete my catalogue and restore from a recent backup where the issue did not exist. That resolved the issue for me. So for me it wasn't an inherent LR issue, my catalogue was corrupted somehow. I believe it had to do with moving around my catalogue files when I was trying to organize them as opposed to having my 3 catalogues in the same folder.

Hope this helps anyone else experiencing this and the work arounds didn't work for you. Your catalogue is the problem.

Always backup! Better to delete old backups than to back up every so often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines