• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit in Photoshop -selection in Lightroom changed inactive

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Creative Cloud with Photoshop CC v. 20.1.1 and Lightroom Classic CC v. 8.0 installed about 2 months ago. At first everything work fine, but few days ago I found I could not open images in Lightroom for editing in Photoshop any more, because selection ”Edit in Photoshop” has changed inactive (grey). It concerns all images I have in Lightroom, RAW’s, jpeg’s and others.

Both applications work ok separately, but this link between Ligthroom and Photoshop has broken for some reason. If I edit an image in Photoshop and save it back, it will not show up automatically to Lightroom catalog. I have not found a solution for this. What should I do?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 08, 2018 Dec 08, 2018

Some people had this early on with the upgrade to v8. Adobe recommended reinstalling Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The usual cause of this problem is that your originals are missing. If you have created smart previews, you'll hardly notice that in Lightroom because you can still edit images and won't see the infamous exclamation point. But you can't send a smart preview to Photoshop, you need to have the original. Are you using Windows and are your images on an external drive? Then maybe Windows has changed the drive letter, so the images got 'missing' in Lightroom, but you can open them directly in Photoshop.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for answering, that was a good point. But in my case it seems this is not the cause of problem. As far I can see in Windows explorer, all my originals are on my hard drive in folders they should be. It is internal hard drive, drive letters has not been change.
BTW: I suppose that exporting from Lightroom to hard drive will need the original image too, isn't it? Exports from Lightroom are working correctly. I use Windows 10 64-bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can check what Lightroom has available by looking below the histogram.

Lightroom.jpg

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2018 Dec 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some people had this early on with the upgrade to v8. Adobe recommended reinstalling Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2018 Dec 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I think the error appears if you install new version of Photoshop and afterwards remove the older version of PS (that's what I did). Then the application path to PS might be removed and LR don't find PS anymore.  I uninstalled Photoshop and re-installed it and then the Edit In Photoshop came back active. I still have a minor problem: If I check in  "what to edit -window" the first option "Edit a copy with Lightroom Adjustments" most of edit options in PS are inactive. Two other options "Edit a copy" or "Edit original" works fine. But I can live with this error. Maybe Adobe fixes it sometimes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 09, 2018 Dec 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And remember, well be aware, A known issue exists with the new PS, you need to start PS before having LR send it an edit (edit in Photoshop) otherwise many menu items in PS will be grayed out. A second workaround, is in Photoshop preferences, to check (on) the box for "Disable the Home Screen" (Have not tried that one)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines