• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After catalog upgrade, photos cannot be read by LR

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to a new computer and the new 7.1 release of Lightroom Classic CC - when opening for the first time it upgraded the catalog. Now many (many!!) of the photos get the "Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo." message and don't show up. I tried loading the 2015 version and using the non-upgraded catalog (that LR copied when upgrading) and still have problems.

When opening a different catalog that contains some of the same photos they can be read.

So it seems SOMETHING happened when LR upgraded the catalog.

Any ideas of what I can do?

PS - Catalog and photo files are on an external drive.

Thanks!

d

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

nelsonsmom  wrote

Moving to a new computer ...

When opening a different catalog that contains some of the same photos they can be read.

The problem is not Lightroom. The problem is that some of the photos got corrupted during the transfer to the new computer, or the new computer is having trouble reading the external drive (bad USB port, bad connection to the drive, etc.)

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nelsonsmom  wrote

Moving to a new computer ...

The problem is not Lightroom. The problem is that some of the photos got corrupted during the transfer to the new computer, or the new computer is having trouble reading the external drive (bad USB port, bad connection to the drive, etc.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that may be true. But I find it interesting that the EXD and all files were visible before the catalog upgrade. I will look more at the files themselves. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could plug the external drive into a different USB port to see if that changes anything. It wouldn't take more than 30 seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much. I had to take a day and step away from this problem yesterday! This morning I plugged the EHD back into the laptop (old computer) running LR 2015 and every photo shows correctly. I opened one in Camera Raw that I was not able to open on the new computer. So, you were right about the problem being the new computer not reading the drive correctly. Now I need to work with my PC tech guys to figure out why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just finished with tech guys - he was able to determine that it was a permission/security issue on the drive on the new computer. Even though "everyone" had permission, I as "Dawn" apparently wasn't part of "everyone" and couldn't access those folders. Permissions set for my login correctly and it all works.

To me it seemed like LR caused a problem because it was the first time I had opened LR and those folders on this computer. It all worked on my older just fine.

Thanks again for jumping in with your sound advice!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have encountered a similar problem today after recently upgrading to LR8 (Lightroom Classic CC) from LR5. Encountered the "Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo" error message using LR8 with about 11 sequential jpegs in a folder that dates from 2007.  Noticed that these "problem" jpgs were ok in Windows Explorer. Also, checked the same folder using LR5 and the LR5 catalog - no problems observed. Copied the problem jpgs to the Desktop, deleted the same from LR8, then imported the images using LR8 import dialog.  Problem resolved.  It disturbs me that LR5 saw these images as ok but LR8 did not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LR5 was probably looking at the cached preview files, not the actual JPG files.

LR8 was probably trying to build its own preview files and needed to read the actual JPG files.

The first thing I would do is a disk check for bad sectors. (This may take a while depending on the size of your hard drive.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines