• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing Pantone Coated and UnCoated Colors in InDesign 2017

Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2016 Dec 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I update Pantone Color Palettes in inDesign CC 2017 so that missing colors can be made available (i.e.: colors 2389 & 2263 are currently unavailable via the Pantone Coated Color Library. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

PS: Running Adobe CC 2017 products on a Mac running OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

For InDesign copy the downloaded .acb files into your Presets/Swatch Libraries folder:

Screen Shot 4.png

Then to load a swatch it's New Swatch from the Swatch panel fly out where the new libraries can be found Color Mode dropdown menu.

Screen Shot 5.png

For Illustrator I think you'll have to use Other Library and load the .acb, see my #4

For Photoshop copy the .acb files into /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC 2017/Presets/Color Swatches and restart Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Pantone Colour Manager software can download up-to-date Pantone libraries and install them in Adobe software. Pantone (foolishly IMO) charge for this software, but if you have an actual Pantone guide, there should be a code with which you can get it for free.

Or, you can download the libraries below, and place them in /Applications/Adobe InDesign CC 2017/Presets.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Link removed by moderator – unless you can provide documentation from Pantone to redistribute their products, you cannot post links to them here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. I have the latest version of the Pantone color manager software and my books are registered. I have most colors but I'm missing PMS2149 when I try to spec. in Illustrator. It's critical I have the correct spot color for this job as it's a brand color for a client. Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't quite the right answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2018 Jun 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest version of the Pantone color manager software and my books are registered. I have most colors but I'm missing PMS2149 when I try to spec. in Illustrator.

You have to export the new books from Pantone Manager and load them into Illustrator

Looks like Danny's link is broken. Try this one, this zip archive has the new books as .acb files:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Link removed by moderator – unless you can provide documentation from Pantone to redistribute their products, you cannot post links to them here!

From Illustrator try loading the books. Choose Swatch Libraries>Other Library... and choose the new .acb file. Moving them into the AI Presets folder doesn't work for me in AI but does in InDesign:

Screen Shot 1.png

Screen Shot 3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed link:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the moderator who locked this thread was in error. This has been fully documented here:

Pantone Libraries

and here:

Pantone Library Sharing

Since I'm also a moderator (my name is Steve Werner, and I'm an ACP) I'm unlocking this thread again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve.

As I can't edit my original posts, here's the link to the libraries again:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7veu29wd6aq350l/AADfMTSdXEQd3Qkw1MxQYHLqa?dl=0

And, just in case the moderator missed it the first few times, here's the 'documentation from Pantone to redistribute their products':

Sharing Libraries from PANTONE Color Manager with Workgroup - Pantone.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this and your persistence!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not getting the colors I need. They are in the swatch book but not in the application.

Any thoughts on how I can get all the colors in the swatch book in my applications?

Any ideas on why some are missing?

I have the latest books and they are registered. I have the latest manager software version and it's activated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For InDesign copy the downloaded .acb files into your Presets/Swatch Libraries folder:

Screen Shot 4.png

Then to load a swatch it's New Swatch from the Swatch panel fly out where the new libraries can be found Color Mode dropdown menu.

Screen Shot 5.png

For Illustrator I think you'll have to use Other Library and load the .acb, see my #4

For Photoshop copy the .acb files into /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC 2017/Presets/Color Swatches and restart Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator's Pantone swatch libraries are located in:

/Applications/Adobe Illustrator CC 2018/Presets/en_US/Swatches/Color Books

(basically the same as other Adobe applications, just under "Colour Books")

if you create an "old" folder in "Colour Books" and put the original .acb files in there, you can still have access to them without cluttering up the list of libraries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2019 Jul 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I tried doing this but all my swatch libraries are greyed out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2019 Jul 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screen capture

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! The Pantone site is totally useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks you very much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2020 Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was exactly what I was looking for, thank you for sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Steve! You are my hero! I've downloaded the new Pantone connect and it didn't work at all in InDesign, also not with downloading the extension manager anastasiy (what Pantone recommended in that case). It just added the swatches you provided and could finally find the missing Pantone colours. It should be that easy. I don't want/need an App/complex extension for EVERYTHING. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! Can now see the updated colors, this was a life saver!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed Rob's library is V2, the versions Danny provided in dropbox are V3. This could be part of my issue. Finding the right version. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the archived page from Pantone’s 2020 site which explicitly gives permission to share .acb files without license restrictions—Danny Whitehead’s link above is broken

https://web.archive.org/web/20201019160230/https://www.pantone.com/customer-service/help/?t=Sharing-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best workaround I have to offer is this, which may or may not apply to any of you. I've been a graphic designer at a printing company for 36 years. I still have the "box set" of Adobe Creative Suite CS4.  When I need a missing PMS color, I open a blank document in InDesign CS4, create the swatch I need, draw a rectangle, fill it with color, and copy and paste it into ID 18.  Works fine, no Pantone licensing issues, and ID has no problem with the swatch importing.  We from the "old school" don't throw away or uninstall older software, because you just may need it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But that wouldn't solve Stephen's problem because 2389 & 2263 didn't exist in the CS4 library, they are new colors. There are no licensing issues see Danny's #8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines