Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] Dreamweaver-What exactly am I buying

Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi:

I am using Dreamweaver 6 and I am considering buying the latest CC version. Well, renting it I guess.

I don't own ANY subscription applications, because I don't agree with this model.

Now, having said that I am considering DW CC whatever......

What do I get for my $240 a year?

yeah, I see

• Includes: 100GB of cloud storage, Adobe Portfolio, Adobe Fonts, and Adobe Spark with premium features

Do I get to download an application or am I stuck using an online version?

Depending on the answer above, do I have to store my files in the cloud, or can I store my files locally?

What is Adobe Portfolio, Adobe Spark, and where can I learn about the fonts?

To be honest, not really an Adobe fan, because finding anything on your site always seems to be a nightmare.

Frankly, I don't even expect an answer to these questions......

Great way to start, eh?

Thank you

Rich

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

#1 Creative Cloud is NOT cloud-based software.  CC desktop apps install on your OS just the same as before.

See system requirements.  Adobe Creative Cloud system requirements

#2 Work files are under your control.  You may store them wherever you wish.  The optional Cloud Stroage is useful when synchronizing with other devices or collaborating with people but it's not required that you use it.

#3 IMO, Creative Suite 6 is not better than CC (it's 9 versions behind).  But if you find you need it for

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 113 Replies 113
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Richard,

There is little value unless you have an affinity for Bootstrap, though Bootstrap automation is pretty thin. Since I have little regard for Bootstrap, I cannot defend switching from CS6 unless you use a Mac. Why? Because while CS6 will likely continue to work on Windows 10 for a decade or more, there are problems getting it to run well on the latest Mac OS and that will probably get worse with the next Apple upgrade. Another reason is UHD. CS6 does not support ultra HD screens, though there are workarounds I've seen.

If it's a question of features only, stick with CS6 and if anyone recommends otherwise please weigh their answers very, very carefully.

I also recall you are a long-time customer of ours. While our extensions work perfectly in Dreamweaver 19, Adobe has abandoned its own extension manager, so you'll need to install our free one to install your extensions. It's not a huge deal, but it is a pain in the butt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the answer....

I use a Mac. Right now I am working on a Mac Pro, waiting for the new version (Hardware), so I am still at El Cap 10.11.

However, I also use my MacBook Air, which I would like to upgrade to Mojave. I have not because I am afraid DW CS 5, which I have running on that, will not work.

I think upgrading the Air to DW 6 will yield the same issue...won't work on Mojave, or as you stated, "what's to come"

Thoughts?

Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Took me a second to realize who you were.

YES, I have a bunch of your stuff. Would like to recode my website from the ground up...not really dying to move to DW CC whatever, but I fear updating Mac OS on my Air, and future Pro level macs, will not run legacy DW application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Richard,

See this thread on Stack Exchange. It might be helpful:

adobe - Dreamweaver compatibly with Mojave - Ask Different

But don't worry. If, for some reason, you need to go to the Adobe Cloud version, your extensions will still work. If you ever have any problems, feel free to contact us directly via email or telephone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As usual AL, you are ALWAYS very helpful.

I may try and install DW 6 on that AIR, then upgrade, see if it all works. (Hope I can find the disks)

You may have saved me $240...some money to buy new PV& extensions! <grin>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My pleasure

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Richard,

Just a little oversight vis a vis the new opinion posted. Nancy is an avid Bootstrap proponent, so it would not make sense for her to use anything but the latest Dreamweaver builds. That said, she is correct about the "cloud" you do download and install from the cloud a traditional desktop application. However, if your subscription is cancelled, you will no longer be able to use it.

As for non-Bootstrap users, there has been more taken out of Dreamweaver than put in. Things like Design Time CSS, Server-Side include dialogs, and more. The CSS panel, now called the CSS Designer is loved by some and hated by others as it is not a normal programmer's UI. I'm one of the haters, as are the rest of the PVII Team.

Just posting this for full disclosure so that you can make the best possible decision

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Al:

Frankly, I was, and still am, happy with DW 6.

I don't really want to upgrade, just thought running DW 6 and mojave may not gel, but you've given me hope that it just might work.

I have some upgrades to perform on my MacBook Air before I install Mojave and then DW 6, which I just downloaded.

So I think I will give that a try and if I can find the link you sent earlier that describes the "fix" to get DW 6 to run in Mojave, I might be OK.

Thank you again...

Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Red herrings aside, I use Bootstrap but that's not why I prefer CC to CS6. 

• CS6 is legacy software that is no longer supported or updated. 
  • CS6 is not Hi DPI aware. 
  • CS6 doesn't support modern code syntax for JS, jQuery or PHP 7.
  • CS6 can't validate HTML5 code.
  • CS6 code hinting, linting and auto code completion are not as good as CC.
  • CS6's only responsive design feature (legacy Fluid Grid Layouts) is pure junk which Adobe abandoned.
  • CS6's Spry Widgets were abandoned.
  • CS6 does not support dark UI or high contrast code colors. 
  • CS6 Live View and Live View editing are not as good as CC.

But don't take my word.  Judge for yourself.  Try CC free for seven days without obligation.

Free Dreamweaver | Download Adobe Dreamweaver CC full version 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

Red herrings aside, I use Bootstrap but that's not why I prefer CC to CS6. 

• CS6 is legacy software that is no longer supported or updated. 
  • CS6 is not Hi DPI aware. 
  • CS6 doesn't support modern code syntax for JS, jQuery or PHP 7.
  • CS6 can't validate HTML5 code.
  • CS6 code hinting, linting and auto code completion are not as good as CC.
  • CS6's only responsive design feature (legacy Fluid Grid Layouts) is pure junk which Adobe abandoned.
  • CS6's Spry Widgets were abandoned.
  • CS6 does not support dark UI or high contrast code colors. 
  • CS6 Live View and Live View editing are not as good as CC.

But don't take my word.  Judge for yourself.  Try CC free for seven days without obligation.

Free Dreamweaver | Download Adobe Dreamweaver CC full version 

Excellent points, Nancy. Thank you for your help.

But Richard should keep in mind that:

• CS6 does not require any updates.
  • There are workarounds for HI DPI systems
  • Code hinting for JS, jQuery, and PHP 7 is only important if you regularly code, manually, in those languages.
  • The W3C still has a free validator
  • A typical use has little use for linting. Auto Code Completion in CS6 is not quite as good as CC, but is more than adequate for  a non-coder
  • If you are using a PVII page layout tool, than Fluid Grids Spry Widgets,  and Bootstrap is wholly irrelevant
  • Dark UI and various other UI designs are a valid point for the visually impaired
  • Live View is never a substitute for browser preview and Live Editing is not very "smooth"

Just trying to present the full picture here as it relates to Richard Lefko.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

without wanting to add oil to the fire, and without wanting to argue about it... we have the story of the glass being half empty and the glass half full... everyone sees it in their own way.

so on both sides it seems that the glass is not optimal... on the one hand one have the cost of updates to continue using CC, and on the other hand the cost of PVII extensions to use CS6... (if as explained in the previous list of advantages, we talk about non-coders) so to fill the glass, or keep it level, one have to pay...

just a question, if one have to pay, so, what would it be like to change the glass?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 19, 2018 Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"and on the other hand the cost of PVII extensions to use CS6... (if as explained in the previous list of advantages, we talk about non-coders)"

I still use CS6 on High Sierra.

I have purchased many (12) P7 extensions over the last 5 years usually when they were on sale at %25 off. Once paid for they are mine, no subscription. I can use them forever, on any machine running DW PC or Mac. The extensions pay for themselves, they are not a cost, they are an investment. Plus time is money, the amount of time I save by getting a P7 extension is enormous. If it had not been for P7 extensions converting my GoLIve site to DW would have been a real nightmare. P7 Extensions work right out of the box. But, if I have a problem there is a tremendous support team to help me. I now rarely come to this forum because I get all the help I need at P7. I wish that Adobe ran their company as professionally as P7. I have no qualms recommending P7 products to anyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and you forgot to mention that you had a full glasse of cild spring water...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this time of year it is hot apple cider (-: And I forgot to mention I don't work for P7, just a very satisfied customer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you 100%.

I can not think of a good reason to move off DW 6, so I will spend that money on P7 extensions instead.

I hope there is another sale soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

stay tuned on this chanel...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Christmas sale just started. I'm thinking to get Harmony. (-: It is basically a 2 for 1 sale. Buy two products and get 50% off. But you have to enter the coupon "P7SANTA18" to get the discount. Now I have to to think what the second product will be so many to choose from. But it has to be something I will actually use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you don't work for P7 I'm sure,

but in any case you have a good sales pitch, which wouldn't do it any better...

ah... the hot cider!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 will stop working on Macs after Mojave. So I downloaded CC 18 or 19, I forget which. It looks completely alien compared to CS6. But I can used to new UI. But what I found disappointing was the CSS editor. I hope it is just a matter of my not playing with it enough and figuring out how it works. Maybe there is a video but the way it stands now the CS6 CSS editor is more powerful. You just click on a CSS rule in your style sheet and it shows up in the tab on the right side. You then click on it in the tab and the CSS editor shows up. Easy to use because first of all I can see it, the CC version is very different and hard to see what to speak of use. I am hoping that I just have not yet discovered the secret key to using it right. It would be a real shame if CC 18 is a major downgrade from CS 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just hovering any element on the page and press ALT when clicking on it, you will have a navigator window that will show you all the cascade on this element , plus all the rules affecting the element, just a clik there and you will open the CSS files where you need...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/B+i+r+n+o+u  wrote

just hovering any element on the page and press ALT when clicking on it, you will have a navigator window that will show you all the cascade on this element , plus all the rules affecting the element, just a clik there and you will open the CSS files where you need...

I'm on a Mac so what do I press instead of ALT?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't a Mac virtual machine running right now... but I think that the key is ALT whatever the OS... did you try ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/B+i+r+n+o+u  wrote

I haven't a Mac virtual machine running right now... but I think that the key is ALT whatever the OS... did you try ?

I will try hitting all the keys. I did get the CSS editor to open up. Will need to play with it for a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/VL+Branko  a écrit

I will try hitting all the keys. I did get the CSS editor to open up. Will need to play with it for a while.

here I have prepared a small movie describing the new way of handling CSS

12.21.2018-11.51.04

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines