• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Poor performance: Premiere Pro CC 2019 13.0 (Mac)

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two of my systems are the latest Mac Pro (3.0GHz 8-Core. 64GB of RAM. 2 AMD FirePro D700s with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM). Another system has 128GB of RAM and the Titan Xp with 12GB of GPU VRAM. All of my GPUs support Apple Metal GPU acceleration.

The slowest system I have is my laptop and if the issue was only with my laptop, the lack of 4GB of GPU VRAM might be the issue, but it's a problem on all the system I own.

As far as I can see, the issue I'm experiencing is not related to the hardware, as they all meet or exceed the system requirements.

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what about the Mac OSx ? should be 10.13 or Mojave 10.14

can you please confirm ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should I power cycle as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. All of my systems are 10.13 or Mojave 10.14... I guess you missed my original post...

Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 3.43.32 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh really sorry for this I'm really trying my best at this time to help as many users as I can so im getting somehow lost between posts that im trying to answer as quickly as possible... excuse me!

Can you please try to switch between renderers - Open CL - Metal but avoid software only please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carlosz... I don't think you understand the nature of this issue and you are asking questions that make me think you are trying to "appear" helpful, but you aren't being helpful. I'm not trying to be rude, but your questions are elementary and I'm much further along.

In Premiere 2019, Open CL, CUDA, Metal and Software Only all take the same amount of time. Rendering in the timeline or exporting a file directly from Premiere or thru Media Encoder. Same issue. Extremely long render times.

On my slowest machine, a 1 hour video takes 45 hours in Premiere 2019 to render compared to 1 hour in Premiere 2018. My fastest machine, 15 hours in Premiere 2019 compared to 20 minutes in Premiere 2018.

Nothing is wrong with my hardware. All of my software and drivers are up to date. The problem is Premiere 2019 because Premiere 2018 works just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I switched from metal to openCL and render speed is back to normal.

Mac.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your Mojave Mac has an Nvidia card. As of this time, there are no working Nvidia drivers for Cuda in Mojave (macOS 10.14). Contact Nvidia for more information.

When you say CC2018 is working correctly, do you have that also installed on the Mojave Mac? Nvidia drivers will provide Cuda function in macOS 10.13 (High Sierra), but not 10.14.

To be clear, on our systems, we are finding nearly identical (or improved) export times on Mac systems using either 10.13 or 10.14 with other displays. The Nvidia discrepancy between the two OS versions, however, is a known issue.

Andy, Premiere Pro Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. CC2018 is also installed on the Mojave Mac.

I've done some additional testing and here's some additional information...

The project file I was working on was a Team Project and the source media files were on an external HD connected via USB 3.0. The project was originally created in Premiere 12.1.2 (2018) and upgraded to a Premiere 13.0 (2019) project when I opened the project with Premiere 13.0.

I have tested creating a new project and team project in Premiere 12.1.2 and haven't seen any issues with I open in Premiere 13.0 with media that's on my local drive.

I don't have the external drive with the media I was having an issue with before, but my new working assumption is that it has something to do with creating a team project in 2018 with media on a USB 3.0 external drive. I'll be able to run more tests tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Further testing has revealed the following...

The issue is related to the combination of: Premiere Pro 13.0 (2019) / ExFat / Apple ProRes 422 Codec.

Premiere Pro 2019 -

I've used the same files, on the same drive in Premiere Pro 2018 without any issue, but when the same project is opened in Premiere Pro 2019, it gets really slow. I've created a new project in PP2019 and still have the issue with this same drive and same files.

ExFat -

When I move the files to a drive formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) , no problems. It works just fine. Even with the same project, same ProRes files. ExFat drive on a USB 3.0 or 2.0 bus, is slow. I'm going to test is on Thunderbolt and USB-C next.

Apple ProRes 422 Codec -

When I used the same project file and the same ExFat drive, but work on H264 files, no issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2018 Dec 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thaaaanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed the problem for me as well. Was trying to cut prores files off of an exfat SSD on my 2017 Mac Book Pro in PP 2019 and it couldn't play back for more than 2 seconds without freezing or getting choppy. Formatted the drive to Mac OS Extended (journaled) and now it runs perfectly. Just as is did in PP 2018. The combination of prores, exfat, and PP 2019 is the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2019 Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@b.johannes.bryan

Thank you for your tip. This has saved my ass.

OSX Mojave, CC2019 and ExFat don't like each other. Lesson learnt

I'm glad there's a work around for this until Adobe get it fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen+Shot+2018-10-19+at+10.59.25+AM.png

I have the same specs as this and also finding CC2019 unusable. Timeline playback is horrendously slow - a simple prores 422 clip with no effects applied can't even play at 1/8 resolution. When using cc2018 the same project will play perfectly smoothly at half resolution with luts, effects, titles, etc, applied. Renders also take 2.5x the time using 2019 compared to 2018.

Hope this gets fixed!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed your laptop is set up with an Nvidia GPU.      Mojave does not support CUDA at this time.

If you're rendering in software mode, it won't be as fast in many cases compared to rendering with GPU acceleration / CUDA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frustrated user here as well.  

I have high Sierra (10.13.6) and a late 2013 Mac Pro.    Rendering any one linked comp between premiere and after effects literally takes 10 minutes.     I've been trying to export a 9 minute video with multiple linked comps to ae and premiere keeps hanging on the export.    I've been troubleshooting this for hours and can't get it to work.

I want to go back to premiere 2018 to finish this project to hand off to the client although can't go backwards without re-creating everything which is about 28 hours of editing.  

I will not be creating any new projects in premiere 2019.   I knew it was a mistake to jump in this soon as it's always a headache to be an early adopter of an adobe software release with the mac os. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Filmguy,

Sorry to hear about this.

I have reproduced a recent bug where Dynamic Link can be slower in some cases with the newer release.  We are investigating and working on this issue internally.

Some users have reported better results when closing AE (not leaving it open).  

If you have further questions or would like some help let me know.

Wes Howell

Premiere Pro Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the things I tried was closing AE 2019 although, then the links stopped working completely and wouldn't render at all.   Also as stated, the project won't export at all, I just get the spinning ball and have to force quit.   Nothing I've tried works.   The only way it will export, is if I delete the linked comps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you at a point where you can render the AE comps out to a high quality file?  Might be your best current workaround until we can get this sorted.

Are you able to share a test project that includes the AE comp with media?   Would only be used for testing / engineering purposes at Adobe.   

Wes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is definitely a MAJOR issue with CC 2019.  It won't read ProRes off of an ExFat drive, at all. It shows up in the timeline, but it won't playback, as if the clip were an absurdly high bitrate or something that was crashing the system (but it's 720p ProRes LT).

2018 plays the exact same clip and timeline PERFECTLY.

Please fix this. For now, I'm switching back to 2018 because this is just unacceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can verify. Took delivery of a project on 4 drives and none of the ProRes 422 HQ will play in the timeline under PPv. 13.0. After reading here about the ExFAT conflict I checked the drives and sure enough. Copied some media to an OSX formatted drive and it plays back smooth as butter. Would love to edit this film using the new color curve tools, but have to revert to v.12 to use any of the media since it would take me two days to re-transfer all the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I was going mad - my edits work fine on Windows, but on my MacBook Pro it's like working from tape again. Glad (well, not glad, but reassured) to know I'm not the only one with an issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on a 2014 mac-pro. Proress 422 LT files on a Exfat formatted drive OSX Mojave. PP CC 2019 is unusable, very slow timeline response. PP CC 2018 works just fine.

Please Fix ASAP! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2018 Dec 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG Thank you so much for discussing this here and for doing the bug research. I went crazy for two days because my ProRes files didn´t playback in Premiere 2019. I already downconverted everything to ProResProxy because it always felt like a performance issue. But than again I played 4 ProResHQ videos in QTplayer without any issues.... I will reformat a fast drive to a mac drive and post the result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines