• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I have to render too much while I'm still editing

Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2018 Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My workflow is extremely slowed down due to how often I have to render. I'll add an adjustment layer above a clip and start some editing, rather quickly I get red on the color changing bar above the clips, I don't know what it's called.

Below, I'll add my computers specs. l've looked up the PR system requirements, but I'm not able to tell the difference between the two. I think the only thin I can upgrade on this Mac is the RAM, which I have upgraded to 24gb.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

3.2 GHz Intel Core i5

24 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M380 2048 MB

Thank you,

Scott

www.wingsimaging.com

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He has a Radeon graphics processor so CUDA acceleration isn't a factor here. OpenCL maybe, but no CUDA.  Definitely need to know what type of footage you are working with like rodney said.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2018 Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good read, ty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not just computer that defines potential to edit faster. It's also what your source material is. Basically you got a container (your computer system) that you put stuff into ( source material). If you tell people here what your source material is, your timeline size, etc. it may be possible to use proxies or choose other things that make it faster for you.

good luck !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

source material is 4k from my drone. I put the drone up again, this time recording at 1080 at 60fps and put it into PR with better results.

Ultimately, I know I just need to buy an upgraded MAC with a faster processor and better video card. Seems kinda bullshit that Apple doesn't offer a lot of options when it comes to hardware upgrades. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That GPU doesn't have the required 4GB of vRAM that 2019 requires for it to use the GPU ... and it's a pretty slow CPU also. 4 cores or 6 in that CPU?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4 cores. The initial video was 4k. I shot again at 1080 and got better results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Throwing long-GOP media at an older slow low-core machine just isn't going to work, that's so hardware-intensive. The media is built to get the most data written to card the fastest/smallest using specialized chips in the processing chain in the camera. There are very few complete but compressed frames ( iframes ), one of every 30-60 or more on drones. The rest of the frames are data-sets of changed pixels since the preceding i-frame, the next iframe ... or both.

It is NOT designed to be 'opened' easily in the computer ... good editing codecs are all intraframe, every frame is an actual completer frame, just compressed a bit. The on-disc size is bigger but that means a ton less work on the computer for playback.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had some GoPro footage recently in an MP4 container - 4xHD and 1x4K set to HD size all scaled down to make a 5-way multiviewer.

Slow as a dog unsuprisingly (indeed PP can be pretty lumpy decoding 1 stream of GoPro).

Replicated in Resolve 15.2 & all was smooth. So it feels like Adobe is missing a trick here (or I am)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Parts of Resolve do better on some machines than others ... that is another fascinating app for where it runs fast or where it runs slower than molasses. If it works better on your gear, well ... work has to get done, these apps are tools. Period.

Resolve doesn't allow multiple versions to be installed (which I do use at times) nor does it allow full screen program monitor on a second screen unless you spend $100+ with BlackMagic to buy one of their cards.

Also, they don't allow 3rd party control surfaces the run of the app ... they ONLY allow connections by their internal system and do NOT allow any even keyboard shortcuts to be set to a 3rd party surface.

My Tangent Elements panel has about half the controls blank at any one use in Resolve, and many of Resolve's controls are not ported to the external surfaces.

Because Resolve exists not to get your work done but sell hardware.

So it's a pick your poison option, really. And yes, I do have the paid version of Resolve. And use it for some things.

On my 6-core/32GB RAM rig with a 6GB 1060, it is certainly no faster in playing H 264. And did I mention doesn't allow a full screen monitor? Yea.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I was a smart person who knew what strategy was for market share and all that stuff. I have no clue.

Maybe to get subscriptions by promising the world to do everything for everyone ?

Maybe to sell hardware ?

To get back on subject, sometimes it is important to pay attention to the combination of hardware and source material ?

I have to admit that I feel really good when I can put stuff into my pig computer ( editing) and actually USE the computer to do simple editing.  Yippee !  How cool is THAT ? !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The initial video was 4k. I reshot at 1080 with better results. I need to just go ahead and upgrade my computer since I plan on doing more video work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

zepp, just keep shooting stuff with camera (drone or whatever). use what works in current computer ( 1080?). focus on telling stories visually etc.

when you can afford it, you'll get more powerful equipment to do higher res stuff, etc.

I guess what I'm suggesting is that you keep doing cool stuff and upgrade as you can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try using Cineform proxies.

Work offline using proxy media |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines