• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video with multiple audio tracks not being recognized.

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, I am using Premiere Pro CC 2019 on my desktop running Windows 10.  Also, sorry in advance for the length, I'm just trying to provide as much information as possible.  I am not very experienced with this software, I just bought a one month subscription to finish a project two days ago.  The project is of gameplay footage with voice over during the gameplay.  The files I was editing were recorded with a screen recording/streaming software called OBS (Open Broadcaster Software).  OBS gives you the ability to record up to 6 audio tracks within one single file.  I was using two audio tracks, the first for in-game sounds, and the second for mic audio.  I have been recording files in MKV format.  I found out through the free trial that Premiere recognizes these separate audio tracks so I edited about a 25 minute long project, which took me like 30+hours because of my lack of experience.  Today I moved my computer and in doing so had to disconnect my audio interface (PreSonus AudioBox USB).  When I rebooted my computer and opened Premiere, it said my audio preferences had changed and I noticed that under the Audio Hardware tab that Audio Input and Output said "(AudioBox USB)not working".  When I clicked the drop down menu to see the other sound devices there was another AudioBox USB that did not say "not working", so I selected that one.  When I clicked on it I got a warning that said something about it changing audio files and I just pressed okay thinking it was no big deal.  I then realized that the second track of audio for every single clip was missing.  I quit out of Premiere without saving and when I tried to reopen the software it literally would not open.  I then restarted my computer and opened Premier successfully but I got a "Missing Preview Files" notification and when I relinked the files it just duplicated the first audio track for every clip.  I tried opening a new project and importing the original unedited files and it imported with the first audio track duplicated.  I know the files themselves are no different because I can open them with VLC and select both audio tracks to listen and confirm they are still present.  It is also worth mentioning that this isn't the case with EVERY file that I recorded, only ones that were edited with Premiere Pro.  All the unused files import perfectly with both audio tracks being recognized.  I am very discouraged by this considering how much time I have spent so far and would be incredibly grateful if someone could help me.  Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

austinwittek,

Sorry for these problems.

• The project is of gameplay footage with voice over during the gameplay. 
  • The files I was editing were recorded with a screen recording/streaming software called OBS (Open Broadcaster Software).
  • OBS gives you the ability to record up to 6 audio tracks within one single file.

Going on the evidence here, I would think that the way you recorded the files is the culprit. I gather that they are muxed. I would demux the offending tracks in a demux audio program available on the internet as shareware. Can you try that and report back?

Hope that info gets you back on track.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your response!  I feel I should clarify that the problem is with the way Premiere is reading the files, not the way they were recorded.  I have made sure every ORIGINAL mkv file (as in the source files of all the clips in my current project, recorded BEFORE I changed the audio hardware preferences in Premiere) still have both tracks by opening them in VLC and listening to each track separately, however when I bring them into Premiere only the first audio track is recognized and is duplicated onto the second track.  If I record a NEW video file (as in recorded AFTER I changed the audio hardware preferences within Premiere) it imports perfectly fine with both tracks intact.  I can demux the second audio track from all the original recordings, however I would then have to re edit that audio over top of hundreds of video clips in my current project which seems like an absolute nightmare.  Unless there is a way to have Premiere re-cut the audio file automatically and place it where it was located in the timeline before then I don't see how that would help me unless I just start over completely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

austinwittek,

• I have made sure every ORIGINAL mkv file

This format is not supported in Premiere Pro. That's probably at the heart of the situation. Transcoding these files to an intermediate codec (ProRes, etc.) with the proper audio intact might be the way to treat these sorts of projects moving forward.

Sorry, I don't have anything too helpful to add. Perhaps someone in a similar situation can offer advice. Anyone?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How was I able to edit an entire 25 minute project using video files that are unsupported?  That doesn't really make sense.  I have made a video reiterating what I was saying before and showing examples of how Premiere is not importing things correctly.  Here is the link.

Premiere Problems - YouTube

All of the video files for that example video were recorded with OBS in an mkv format and were edited in Premiere, so I'm not sure what you mean when you say mkv is not a supported format.  Again, thank you very much for conversing with me even if my problems end up not being solved.  It would at least be helpful to know how to make sure this does not happen again in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2018 Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have abandoned the project, remuxed all the original files to mp4, and now premiere at least recognizes both audio tracks.  So, the conclusion is that I have to start the whole edit over from scratch.  Thanks again for the responses, Kevin. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines