• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

980 TI Issues

Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows 10 build 1809 with Adobe Premier Pro 2019 CC 13.0 (build 225) installed with a 980 TI graphics card with fully updated drivers from NVIDIA. I keep getting these below messages and PP is using the CPU to encode. From what I can gather, this is not normal. Any advice?

<12064> <MSDKDecoderWithMCDemux> <5> No Intel device D3D11 or DX9 context created, hardware decode not available.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're talking about this "software encoding" message in the Export dialog ...

Export with Intel QuickSync Software only.PNG

That is referring to whether or not your CPU has the new Intel QuickSync hardware ... if it does, this will say "hardware encoding". If not, you get this.

Which has NOTHING whatever to do with your GPU ... period.

That is set via the Project Settings/Mercury acceleration dialog ...

Is this your question?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that is my question.. My issue is my PP is very slow, I have to edit 1080p in 1/4 frames yet it is still so laggy I cannot hardly work and it takes 1 hour to export a 10 minute video. Typically when playing a video in PP without any effects, I loose frames even at 1/4th. And from what I have read, when using the editor, if the CPU spikes to 100% like it has been when trying to play a sequence in the editor, then that means it is not using the GPU at all. I also see no reference to my GPU in the settings at all like I see in other people's screenshots.

So I assume the error message I posted in my OP that I am getting in the console could be the reason I am experiencing all of this. My cheap laptop edits better than this gaming computer that can play any game at max settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's only a 4-core CPU, and with only 8GB of RAM.

If your media is H.264 long-GOP, I would expect fairly poor playback on that rig. An intraframe codec like DNxHD/R, ProRes, or Cineform would play better but still have issues after effects are added.

That CPU/RAM combo can't work fast enough to get that much to send to that GPU at any one time.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way for me to verify this in logs, console, or anything before I drop a couple hundred dollars on upgrading these?

I just find it odd that I can play any high end game on full settings without an issue, but I can switch to PP and it acts worse than a cheap laptop I have. I just want to be absolute sure before I drop hundreds of dollars on something that may possibly not fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another separate question for you. We have considered buying a Mac for editing purposes. We know nothing about Macs but hear they work so much better with Adobe products that a new Windows 10 computer would. Every time I mention Adobe Premiere crashing, the first answer is "Oh yeah, its because your using Windows". I see in your profile you have a Windows 10 machine. Do you have those issues? Have you experienced both? What can I do to ensure a new Windows machine is as reliable as a mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They removed the 980ti from the "approved" cards list. Mine works fine in prem 2017

it DOESNT work in prem 2019.

Yeah Adobe have done it again, and again and again. They crap all over their users and remove support for stuff. Now only the 1080ti works with Prem 2019.

Yeah for real!

And did you notice even though they know that, they wouldnt answer your question. Bad for business. Just pretend the problem of ruining their own software on a yearly basis doesnt exist.

Thats why I dont pay for their software anymore. When they stop screwing up, then I might consider it. Until then.... free play.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "approved cards " list doesn't mean anything, as they don't actually waste the time and effort testing every card out there. They publish a list of specs.

There are people I know still running 980s, btw. I once ran a 970 for a couple years. That was then. Time and gear move on.

Nei

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Macs have as many if not more issues and cost a lot more. Fewer customizations also. Quite a few of the colorists I know replaced their Macs with PCs in the last couple years.

Some have stuck it out, hoping Cupertino will come out with a really powerful new rig. The release by Apple of ProRes to Windows encoding in Pr has caused quite a discussion as to what it means. Including some who think this means Apple is letting go of the high end pro desktop which a tiny niche in their total production.

Who knows?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gaming apps and an NLE aren't the same thing. Pr puts very different loads on your system than a gaming app.

The basic suggestion for best playback for mp4/mov H.264 media is as close to 10 fast cores as possible, meaning at or above 3.8Ghz; as close as possible to 10Gb RAM per core, and a 1060 or higher GPU with at least 4Gb of vRAM.

Mine is a 6-core rig with 32GB of RAM, and a 1060 with 6GB of vRAM, a low to middling machine for editing. I prefer to work intraframe codecs but much of my media starts as long-GOP, and much of it plays ok if 1080. 4k, not so much.

Sometimes I transcode and sometimes I use proxies.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Just to add to what Neil mentioned,

The GPU does not kick in for Premiere unless you have an accelerated effect applied or scaling. Only then they GPU will jump in to help. otherwise it just sits there doing nothing and all the work is on the CPU.

I work with 980 ti as well and it's a great card. lot's of CUDAS, but as Neil said, your CPU might be weak and I also suspect storage. Can you give me an Idea what your HDD/SSD setup is like?

Also to address your question about Mac vs Windows, I can confirm that Macs are generally more stable and the editing process is smoother. I have a Windows monster PC at home, and iMacs where I work. You can build up speed with your PC rigs, but Macs are always superior when it comes to stability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for everyone's help. After a lot of research and reviewing, I think we may go the Mac route just because there are other YouTuber's that we know out there that also go the Mac route and always say they have better luck.

We are looking at this machine. Do you think it can handle it? Really all we are doing here is cutting video, adding music and voice overs. So no really effects or anything for the most part, though we may start that one day. If I added an extra 32GB of RAM to this machine, would this get the job done reliably with 1080p video? Reviews says yes, but I know nothing about Apple, so I want to ask experienced people.

https://amzn.to/2SdoYfh

https://amzn.to/2V04rws

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That only has a weak dual core processor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about a slightly upgraded one? Below is specs of other one we are looking at with Core i7. Would that get the job done (+32GB of RAM of course)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it will do the job. Its a decently specced Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But plz get at least 16 if not 32gig RAM

8 gigs is a no no

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am adding +32 to the 8GB it comes with. So It will be a total of 40GB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spot on, The more RAM the merrier

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a good one, upgrade the Ram and definitely get external harddrives to work on. Do not edit off the main internal drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Needs more RAM, IMO.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are far more major workers switching to PCs than to Macs. Period.

The notion that Macs are more reliable is mythical from several years ago.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pc_3d8247_2473521.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you guys on this, I would much rather a Windows PC (I am after all a Windows System Admin that has always protested against Mac). But, my wife has had such horrible issues with it.. And my problem is, its not just slowness, it constant crashing of the Application. All THE TIME. With no error log, no event log, nothing that I can find to troubleshoot with.

Luckily, Apple provides a two week return policy, so if it isnt much better, we can return it and get a good Windows machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not an issue of reliability. Mac OS is a much more simpler OS than windows, hence the stability.
If you carefully build your PC and get lucky with non-defect components, your PC would be as stable.

I'm just saying that a PC has more chances being unstable than a Mac. And I understand why people would switch to PCs, because first it's way cheaper, and second, the hardware upgrades are also much cheaper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Macs are more stable because they're built more limited  ... period.

You cannot read through this forum with the amount of Mac threads and reach any logical conclusion that a Mac is inherently more stable. Look at all the threads trying to find a stable Mac  OS for editing!

Macs are what ... 10% of computers? They're a lot more than 10% of this forum.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines