15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2017 9:44 PM by Dov Isaacs

Missing fonts, why not to choose other relatives?

Level 1
      Hallo.

I have a pdf file and I want to modify it with adobe 8 professional but when I m going to delete some text the said that all or part of selection has no available system font.

When I m choosing other fonts and clivk on embed Im taking a message that says The change to a different fontwas not done because the chosen font and the font encoding in this document differ and could not be resolved

Any solution on that?
        • 1. Re: Missing fonts, why not to choose other relatives?
          Level 1
          Hallo.

Could anyone tell me what fonts I need to write on this pdf and where I could found it? www.etools.gr/77_88_Dremel.pdf
          I want to change the prices only but when I m going to delete some text the said that all or part of selection has no available system font.When I m choosing other fonts and click on embed I m taking a message that says The change to a different font was not done because the chosen font and the font encoding in this document differ and could not be resolved

Any solution on that?

Regars

Teo
          • 2. Re: Missing fonts, why not to choose other relatives?
            Level 1
            i have the same problem :/
            • 3. Re: Missing fonts, why not to choose other relatives?
              Level 1
              Hi guys,
              Please find the solution @
              http://www.acrobatusers.com/forums/aucbb/viewtopic.php?id=8179

Regards,
              Saravanan.K
              • 4. Re: Missing fonts, why not to choose other relatives?
                csgaraglino Level 1

The post you refered to states that updated to 7.0.8 would solve the issue. But it

does not. Updated to 7.1 does not and even upgrading to 8.x still has not resolved the issue.

Any ideas?

• 5. Re: Missing fonts, why not to choose other relatives?
                  SeanCole Level 1

There is no good solution within Acrobat Pro itself.  However, you CAN do the edit if you also have Adobe Illustrator installed.

Open your PDF document in Acrobat Pro.  Instead of using TouchUp Text Tool, use the TouchUp Object Tool.  Select the line of text you wish to alter, right click and choose Edit Object.

Your line of text should open up in Illustrator.  Illustrator will use a substitute font, letting you edit at will.  NOTE: you will NOT be able to save your change in the original font.  Good news is that Illustrator has a large number of fonts to choose from and you will most likely find one that is very close to the original - good enough for quick edit purposes.

Save your change and exit Illustrator.  Your change should be reflected by Adobe Acrobat Pro.  Another benefit is that your changed text is now TouchUp Text editable from within Acrobat Pro.

• 6. Re: Missing fonts, why not to choose other relatives?
                    m3rlin1972 Level 1

Odd that I found this solution that is almost 2 years old on the exact same day as the last guy. This WAS a real pain in the butt. Thank you for taking the time to post the solution. I too was looking everywhere and this worked like a charm. For those that don't have Illustrator - I will come back and post a solution if I ever find one.

• 7. Re: Missing fonts, why not to choose other relatives?
                      borisrio Level 1

SeanCole's solution didn't work for me. When in Illustrator, the characteres appear as garbled icons and cannot the switched back to any font.

Any other ideas?

• 8. Re: Missing fonts, why not to choose other relatives?
                        rlynsc_043 Level 1

I used to change the font quite easy in Acrobat 2006. But now, I'm using Acrobat X and I'am experiencing same problem.

Try to edit the pdf in Acrobat 2006, maybe that will work.

• 9. Re: Missing fonts, why not to choose other relatives?
                          Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

rlynsc_043 wrote:

I used to change the font quite easy in Acrobat 2006. But now, I'm using Acrobat X and I'am experiencing same problem.

Try to edit the pdf in Acrobat 2006, maybe that will work.

What in the world do you mean by Acrobat 2006. There is no product or version with that name!

- Dov

• 10. Re: Missing fonts, why not to choose other relatives?
                            rlynsc_043 Level 1

My mistake, what i mean is Acrobat 6

• 11. Re: Missing fonts, why not to choose other relatives?
                              rlynsc_043 Level 1

Correction: Acrobat 6 instead of 2006

• 12. Re: Missing fonts, why not to choose other relatives?
                                Paulus_uk Level 1

I had same prob unable to change font. After messing around (as you do) I found that going 'Tools' - 'Advanced Editing' - 'Touchup Text Tool' then highlight the text & delete it. Then in the empty space right click & select 'Properties' & choose the font you want to use & then re-type. This worked for me (Acrobat Prof 7). Also in 'Preferences' - 'Touchup' I had the 'Choose Page/Object Editor' set to 'Acobat Elements.exe' (path was in the Acrobat Folder). Hope this works for other people.

• 13. Re: Missing fonts, why not to choose other relatives?
                                  KarlOrbell Level 1

I was getting this error a lot with PDFs generated by the Adobe PDF printer device.

After some thought, I looked at the "Printing Preferences" for the PDF printer and noticed an option "Rely on system fonts only; do not use document fonts.".  Obviously that prevents embedding of fonts (which reduces file size), but also causes the fonts to be made unique, ie. "Arial+0" rather than "Arial", etc.  This prevents the editing, regardless of whether the font is installed or not.  Unchecking that option and reprinting the document solved that problem.  The TouchUp Tool worked thereafter.

Obviously that solution only applies to PDFs created from that source, but might point people in the right direction for related issues.

• 14. Re: Missing fonts, why not to choose other relatives?
                                    drmattman Level 1

Ha!  This is my first (and maybe only) post on here, but I signed up just to answer this, because I was so frustrated with all the errors and time spent on solving this problem, but I think I found a simple solution (mostly by accident) for someone out there like me, who couldn't get ANY of the above to work well. 

Note:  I use illustrator almost exclusively, thus I am unfamiliar with Acrobat.  As far as I know, must have AI to do this solution.

* I am using Adobe Acrobat 9 pro

1.  Open pdf file with acrobat that you want to edit.

2.  Go to size and reduce size to be able to see the entire page on your screen.

3.  Go to "Tools" at the top then to "Advanced Editing" then select "TouchUp Object Tool"

4.  Then drag the arrow over the entire page of text (it should highlight all the separate objects or text boxes on the page)

5.  Then right click on the selected objects and click "Edit objects"

6.  Illustrator should automatically open and the following error will pop up "Illustrator PDF: Warnings:  The document contains pdf objects that have been reinterpreted".   Click "Ok".

7.  You should then have a fully editable (I think that is a word?!) illustrator document that is a virtual copy of the original pdf.  You will notice some format errors and little glitches in the text here and there, but very easy to work with from there, if you use illustrator!

Anyway, I hope that helps someone out there.  It has made my life much easier for sure!

• 15. Re: Missing fonts, why not to choose other relatives?
                                      Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

In general this is an exceptionally bad idea.

Adobe Illustrator is not, repeat is not, repeat yet again is not a general purpose PDF file editor.

The only PDF files that Illustrator can safely and fully “edit” are PDF files that (1) were saved as PDF by the current or earlier version of Illustrator using the option to retain editability, (2) use fonts that are installed on your system (the fonts embedded in the PDF file are not used for editing), (3) and placed via link objects in the original Illustrator file are also installed in their original locations on your current system, and (4) are edited by opening directly in Illustrator (not via the Acrobat connection).

Otherwise, such edits of PDF in Illustrator via the method you describe may lead to significant lossiness and/or damage to the content including font changes, text layout changes, conversion of text to outlines and/or rasters, changes in color spaces (Illustrator only supports one color space at a time), etc.

Why? Adobe Illustrator despite all of it's magnificent functionality doesn't support the full PDF imaging model and/or all possible uses of same.

The method you describe should only be used as a last ditch emergency process and typically not on an entire page.

Many problems we hear from the field in terms of problems in PDF files result directly from attempting to use Illustrator as a PDF editor either explicitly or implicitly (as  you describe above).

- Dov