Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] Bootstrap 4.2.1?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2018 Dec 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

Since DW 19.0 uses Bootstrap 4.0 are there any issues if I download Bootstrap 4.2.1 (compiled CSS and JS) and use this instead? I'd put BS 4.2.1 files along side 4.0 files and delete 4.0 files.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm fairly new to DW and BS.

- Brian

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 28, 2018 Dec 28, 2018

If its a new website - fine, crack on.

If its an existing website built on Bootstrap 4.0 and you want to upgrade from 4.0 to 4.21 - don't delete the existing Bootstrap files , instead rename them (as a precaution).

The main bulk of changes between the two versions are fixes I think, but be still be aware of any changes from 4.0 to 4,21 in case you run into any issues.

View the full discussion

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If its a new website - fine, crack on.

If its an existing website built on Bootstrap 4.0 and you want to upgrade from 4.0 to 4.21 - don't delete the existing Bootstrap files , instead rename them (as a precaution).

The main bulk of changes between the two versions are fixes I think, but be still be aware of any changes from 4.0 to 4,21 in case you run into any issues.

View the full discussion

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much!

This is for a new site, I'm learning DW and BS to build my wife an informational site for her business...

I'm specifically looking at the flex-fill class that's been included in BS 4.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather than having the files locally, I would use the CDN for various reasons, one being that it is easy to do a find and replace site wide when a new version of Bootstrap makes its appearance.

The following starter template shows the CDN at work.

<!doctype html>
<html lang="en">
  <head>
   <!-- Required meta tags -->
   <meta charset="utf-8">
   <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, shrink-to-fit=no">

<!-- Bootstrap CSS -->
   <link rel="stylesheet" href="https://stackpath.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/4.2.1/css/bootstrap.min.css" integrity="sha384-GJzZqFGwb1QTTN6wy59ffF1BuGJpLSa9DkKMp0DgiMDm4iYMj70gZWKYbI706tWS" crossorigin="anonymous">

<title>Hello, world!</title>
  </head>
  <body>
   <h1>Hello, world!</h1>

<!-- Optional JavaScript -->
   <!-- jQuery first, then Popper.js, then Bootstrap JS -->
   <script src="https://code.jquery.com/jquery-3.3.1.slim.min.js" integrity="sha384-q8i/X+965DzO0rT7abK41JStQIAqVgRVzpbzo5smXKp4YfRvH+8abtTE1Pi6jizo" crossorigin="anonymous"></script>
   <script src="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/popper.js/1.14.6/umd/popper.min.js" integrity="sha384-wHAiFfRlMFy6i5SRaxvfOCifBUQy1xHdJ/yoi7FRNXMRBu5WHdZYu1hA6ZOblgut" crossorigin="anonymous"></script>
   <script src="https://stackpath.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/4.2.1/js/bootstrap.min.js" integrity="sha384-B0UglyR+jN6CkvvICOB2joaf5I4l3gm9GU6Hc1og6Ls7i6U/mkkaduKaBhlAXv9k" crossorigin="anonymous"></script>
  </body>
</html>
Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

I didn't think linking external resources would work (I haven't used DW since the very early days) but it does! I'll try this route.

I compared what DW generates for BS 4.0 and the BS 4.2.1 starter template, the only major difference is DW includes this line in the head:

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge">

Is it best practice to include this?

There's also a slight change in the head for the responsive meta tag:

BS 4.2.1

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, shrink-to-fit=no">

DW with BS 4.0

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">

Thoughts?

Energize​ BenPleysier

Should I steer clear from inserting BS components from within DW since the versions don't match?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 29, 2018 Dec 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Brian+K.+Ross  wrote

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge">

This really only needs to be used IF you are planning on supporting IE8/9 - personally I never use it.

This relates specifically to the Safari browser where it shrinks elements outside of the viewport to fit the screen - personally I never use it - maybe I should. I don't know who uses Safari these days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_  a écrit

I don't know who uses Safari these days.

I do... and most of my users using iPad...or mac Book

<no agression>... just real use cases </no agression>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/B+i+r+n+o+u  wrote

osgood_   a écrit

I don't know who uses Safari these days.

I do... and most of my users using iPad...or mac Book

<no agression>... just real use cases </no agression>

I think it's only an issue if you set content to a specific width, I might be wrong. Other browsers WILL shrink the specific width into the browsers viewport, Safari won't, so you get a horizontal scrollbar.

I dont pay too much attention to Safari as its a dumb specific OS browser and I've yet to have any client complain. The last version I could run on this Apple was 8 even though I should be able to run 10 according to stats

I gave up on it when it became apparent it was tied into the OS and to use newer versions you had to update the OS.......**** off....so many Mac apps are like that and they say Apple is desirable Fastest way to lose market share and revenue for any Apple developer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the question was  "...I don't know who uses Safari these days ..." ... why always fill a void with answers that do not answer the basic question....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because its useful to know the thinking behind the question, if you dont like it then dont answer lm not forcing you to. Why does this forum attract the likes of people such as yourself who only think they have the right to express themselves, usually pretty badly. Now go away and dont get involved in any of the threads l reply to if youre going to be arrogant and rude, typical of the French culture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_  a écrit

Because its useful to know the thinking behind the question, if you dont like it then dont answer lm not forcing you to. Why does this forum attract the likes of people such as yourself who only think they have the right to express themselves, usually pretty badly.

why so much bitterness in your answers. I was just ansewering to your initial question which was whose was using Safari ? I wasn't expressing myself at all on the subject... I was just answering to it... and not commenting it at all

osgood_  a écrit

if youre going to be arrogant and rude, typical of the French culture.

I'm sorry if you felt arrogance or rudeness in my remarks. I was just asking the question of why answer next to an answer that hadn't been asked.

on the other hand is it related to culture, but your comments about the French people are borderline racist.

osgood_  a écrit

in any of the thteads l teply

Besides, I have often noticed that when you write, you make a lot of mistakes in lettering , making it very difficult for someone like me who doesn't speak English fluently and natively to read your content.

(I read message from mailer... not from the forum... so i don't get any modification, when you are doing them)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its NOT your business to inform me what l can write and what l can't write in this forum, so please refrain from doing so in the future. You have the option to reply to a post of mine or not. As you know me quite well you should not be too suprised by the response that l might provide. Im not exactly known for the yes/no type of question/answer responses that may well suit yourself. So if in doubt don't put yourself in a position where you wont like my responses. Youre not exactly snow white in terms of the responses you often make providing urls to silly videos and memes which you think are funny or bring something to the thread when quite often they dont and are hugely boring but l have to live with it.

To imply l'm racist is quite obviously ridiculous and shows you have no understanding of the word so dont even try and pin that one on me to make yourself seem blameless, it just makes you look desperate.

The typo errors are few and far between given the extent of the amount of text l type and mainly occur when lm using a mobile keyboard. If you cannot or are having difficulty understanding then best not reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This question has been answered and is developing into a steep decline.

This discussion will be closed. If the OP (original poster) thinks that this is the wrong action to take, please PM me.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi osgood_,

Thanks for your help.

As for the fun jab at Safari, I get it, but everyone with a Mac or iOS device has the potential to use Safari so I'm not going to discount it. Personally I use Chrome, but I'm surprised how few people use Safari with all of the iOS devices out there.

Browser Statistics

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries.

The bigger question is this issue in Safari has been known since late 2015 and the no shrink attribute is only now added to the viewport meta tag in Bootstrap 4.2 template. So that either means Safari on mobile is now something to be taken seriously or it isnt a big issue and never has been.

As far as l know this issue only affects any container that is set to a specific width. If this is the case then it is also questionable as to whether a developer that uses a specific width when building a responsive website knows what they are doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should I steer clear from inserting BS components from within DW since the versions don't match?

If you work with code, you will get the correct code hints and auto completion from whichever version of Bootstrap your document is linked to.  

3.x to 4.0 was a major rewrite of the code.  But version 4.0 to 4.x is only a minor revision.  You shouldn't have any problems using the 4.0 components in DW.  Just make sure that Bootstrap 4 is selected in your Manage Site settings.   See screenshot.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines