Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ATTN: Wacom 22HD Users

People's Champ ,
Dec 29, 2018 Dec 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I currently use XP-Pen 22.  My only issue with it is that when I get the stylus tip very close to the display surface the cursor jitters around alot.  It stops once I put the tip to the surface.  This is not a big deal for organic drawing but it is problem for precision selection in Illustrator.   So I am considering buying a Wacom 22HD but I've read that some units also have problems with jitter.  This is important  I don't mind using a stroke stabilizer to correct a little jitter while drawing, what I am concerned about is if there is jitter while hovering just over the surface to make selections.   Can anybody tell me if they've experienced this problem with their 22HD (non touch).  i want to know if I spend the $1,600 that i won't have this issue.

xp-pen-jitter.gif

~Gutterfish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gutterfish  wrote

This is not a big deal for organic drawing but it is problem for precision selection in Illustrator.

Personally I've found tablets unusable for precision UI work. The reason is simple geometry. Because of the rotation in the wrist, the cursor moves, and you miss the mark:

geometry.png

A mouse doesn't do that. I got a Wacom and wrestled with it for weeks, until I concluded it would never work, and ditched it.

I'm sure tablets are wonderful for drawing and painting freehand (which I don't do), you certainly can't do that with a mouse. So I suppose it's just a question of picking the right tool for the job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse  wrote

I suppose it's just a question of picking the right tool for the job.

Hey,

Yes you're probably right.  I've started fooling around with illustration composed of basic geometric shapes (as is the current trend) and after struggling with the pen I realized I don't really need it for that type of work and went back to the mouse.  However I'm still considering the Wacom.  Have you used one and if so did you experience the problem I described?

Thanks,

Paul

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2018 Dec 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually the illustration was a bit misleading and much too complicated. It doesn't matter where you look, the point is only that the cursor moves as the pen tip moves down:

geometry_3.png

I've never used a Cintiq, this was a plain Intuos Pen and Touch (as it was called). But there was never any issue with the device precision in itself, it was dead on and worked very well as such.

A possible workaround for the above "geometry shift" is to rest the pen on the surface and then apply additional pressure to click. That wasn't possible on the one I had, but I understand it's possible with the Intuos Pro, and probably the Cintiqs.

The "hype" in many circles is that you must use a tablet for everything if you want to be taken seriously, and that notion I do have problems with. For most normal work a good mouse is still more precise. The tablet is for drawing and painting.

All of this, naturally, is just my personal opinion and preference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fully agree, having used a Cintiq for write a few years, and now using an Intuos tablet. Just because I have the tablet, I don’t use it for everything, and the same was true with the Cintiq. I always use the mouse in Illustrator, and I always use the mouse in office apps like Excel and PowerPoint. I keep the pen in its stand and grab it most often in Photoshop or Lightroom, when I’m painting, masking, or drawing.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for your responses.  Now I know that I don't have to use my tablet for everything

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the 22HD non-touch and do not any of the issues. It is a fluid pen to screen reaction. I also have a much older 24HD and while it is also fluid the sensitivity levels on the 22 are a game changer. Precision is spot on for me- I see where the pen point is and whether I hold the pen on or off the screen there is no jitter. Drawing is easy and if you are a sketch or precision artist I think you will find that it is great addition to your workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Kat for answering my question.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are welcome. If you decide to purchase I do not think you will be disappointed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines