• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Master clip effects vs adjustment layer

Engaged ,
Dec 31, 2018 Dec 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the difference between master clip a fax and using adjustment player? Isn’t it the same thing for example when I click on master clip affects a color correct every single one of those clips I’m not seeing the difference between that and adjustment layer. Is there a difference or not?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 01, 2019 Jan 01, 2019

bryced87  wrote

So when would be a good time to use master clip effects vs adjustment layers?

Depends on your workflow and whatever suits you best.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Master Clip controls affect any use of the clip on any sequence. Adjustment Layers just work over the clip/s they are over on that sequence.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Master clips are designed for say having Log or Raw media that you need to "normalize" into  Rec.709 space. RED media with all its complex camera settings you can modify in the NLE.

Besides that use, you can use Master Clip to color correct a clip so it will be the same for any use.

A-L's are used to add effects to a clip or, if the A-L spans several clips over all of them. Whether color or quite a few other things.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2019 Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, I'm new to the RAW game. I was curious if quality is the same if you color from the "master clip" section or if I just adjust things in Lumetri color. Basically curious if when I change the white balance/exposure in Master vs Lumetri color if the master is better?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only difference is where the effects are stored. A Master Clip setting "lives" on the clip in the bin. And will be applied to that clip or sections of it put on any sequence. Further,  changes to the Master Clip setting are applied to all instances of the clip on all sequences in that project.

Using "standard" Lumetri on a clip in a sequence lives only in that sequence. Drag the clip from a bin to a new sequence and it's a "bare" clip.

Duplicate a clip *from a sequence* to another sequence and you get the effects applied in the first sequence.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow thank you for a quick response. I'm new to RAW as I just bought a Red Gemini. So to be clear sliding the exposure bar in lumetri color is going to be the same as sliding it in the master window in terms of quality. I now understand the nesting qualities of the master tab (thanks to you!) but aside from that wasn't sure if there was a quality of color benefit to playing with exposure in Master tab vs apply a Lumetri filter if that makes sense. I want to get a good clear workflow from the start so I don't get into a bad habit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Some cameras with heavily meta-driven media such as RED, Arri, and some CinemaDNG and RAW forms have specific options that appear in the Master Clip controls only.

For any that do, that's a great place to start. As that RED Gemini probably has it's own specialized setup in Master Clip, check for that. I know Red Weapon files have a complete settings list in Master Clip.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2019 Jan 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bryced87  wrote

Depends on your workflow and whatever suits you best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines