• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Applying presets MUCH slower in LR Classic vs. LR5

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2019 Jan 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to convince myself to switch over to LR Classic. I shoot events/weddings, so deal with 1000-4000+ photos on any given project. In LR5, I can easily apply a preset to 1000+ images in a matter of seconds - definitely under 1 minute. As a test, I imported the same photos and am using the same preset, between LR5 and LR Classic. In LR5, it took under 30 seconds to apply a needed preset to all photos (1,197). In LR Classic, it took 5-10 minutes. This was after going through all of the optimization measures that Adobe suggests, along with building smart previews on import (which took forever). Also, applying changes (Exposure, sharpening, saturation, etc.) to all photos is much slower in LR Classic. Pretty much all aspects of LR Classic is slower than LR5, but this is the straw to break the camel's back if I can't figure it out. Any thoughts as to why applying presets is so much slower in LR Classic, compared to older versions? Is something else being processed that I can turn off? I would really like to move to something newer than 5-6 years ago, but I can't afford to add significant time to my workflow because of laggy software.

PC - i7, 24gb RAM, everything running on multiple SSD's.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been significant changes made to the Develop preset format to accommodate the new enhanced camera profile format. When you install LR Classic your existing Develop presets are automatically converted to the new XMP format, but something may have gone wrong. What exact settings does this preset apply?

Try recreating the preset by applying those settings to an image file and then saving as a new Develop preset with a different name (SAMENAME-New). Try using the new preset and see if it applies faster to the same batch of image files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Todd, it's a combination of several adjustments - contrast, highlights, shadows, blacks, clarity, vibrance, saturation, sharpening and a couple of other things. I did convert the presets from LR5, so just now I went and recreated a similar preset (as you described in your instructions), in LR Classic, just to see what the difference might be. It doesn't really seem to make a difference. Took about 5 minutes.

A correction to what I said initially - doing this in LR5 took about 5 seconds (compared to 5 minutes in Classic).

Any other ideas? Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure no Face detection or Address lookup is going on:

and verify no other sync (like to the cloud) is occuring

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is all off. Thanks for the suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And how many presets are available in your presets panel?

dozens? (no biggie)

Hundreds?

Thousands? (bad bad bad)

hmm, actually, if that was the issue, it would foul you up before you applied a preset.

Might want to look at this slightly dated bit of info:

https://blog.thomasfitzgeraldphotography.com/blog/2016/3/speed-up-lightroom-by-managing-your-develop...

(I think, that now if this is an issue, you can mitigate by bringing up manage in presets, and turning some off.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only have about 20 User Presets, and then whatever comes with Lightroom. I did hide the ones I don't use. Didn't seem to impact anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And as you are coming from LR v5 to LR Classic CC v8.1, your Camera RAW CACHE should have been enough. Assuming in the upgrade that what you had setup in v5 is what you have setup now.

You might want to check that. Remember that the Camera RAW CACHE is absolutely important in the Develop Module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yep, 20 or so presets are not going to be an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran a test on my Windows 10 system running LR Classic 8.1 with about 100 raw files. Applying a preset with the settings you mentioned took <1.0 sec. Clearly somethings wrong!

In addition to all of the advice given above try Optimizing your catalog by going to menu File> Optimize, then close LR and all other applications, restart your system, and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the camera raw cache set to 60gb I think (away from that computer at the moment). I can try to optimize my catalog, but this recent batch is the only thing in the catalog as I created a new one when I installed LR Classic. I'll try resetting the Preference File as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, probably should place this in the pile:

Have you attempted resting your preference file? Sometimes the preference file can get corrupted and cause all sorts of odd issues, commonly called buggy, well by the author of the first link below.

Resolving Buggy Behavior in Lightroom: How to Reset Preferences - YouTube

Replacing the Lightroom Preference File – Lightroomers

Preference file and other file locations | Lightroom Classic CC and Lightroom 6

Recover catalog and images after resetting preferences in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom

Mind you, this has become a catch all for many issues, and is often accomplished, not as often the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The application of a Develop Preset is nothing more than writing notations to the catalog/database. In itself it should be super fast and "behind the scenes", so how are you judging its duration? By watching the thumbnails change in the Library grid? If so, then that is presumably your bottle-neck and you should probably consider what sort of previews you are rebuilding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the process used in both LR5 and LR Classic:

-Go to Develop

-Select all photos

-Switch to Apply to All

-Select the Preset

-Watch the progress bar in the upper left until it is complete (5 secs vs 5 minutes)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2019 Jan 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting the preferences didn't help. Would it be helpful if I made a video, comparing the process in both programs? Also, should the previews generated on import make any difference with applying presets if I'm just applying in batch in Develop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Library previews should have no affect on Develop module functions, which use the Camera Raw cache. You can try purging the Camera Raw cache (see below) and then restart LR and try the preset again.

If no joy a video might help determine what's wrong. Use the smallest number of image files that demonstrates the issue. Like I said on my system it takes <1.0 sec. when applying a preset to 100 raw files. Make sure only the settings showing in the Basic panel are being applied with everything else RESET to 0 or unchecked including Sharpening, Noise Reduction, and Lens Profile. We want to keep it as simple as possible. Also tell us your camera model and file type.

Start the video rolling and use the following steps. I suggest trying it a couple of times before recording the actual video.

1) Create a new catalog file and import a minimal number of mage files that demonstrate the issue using the 'Add' function and 'Build Previews' Standard with no other settings. Wait for import and preview building to complete in the task bar.

2) Switch to the Develop module and apply the Basic panel settings you want to the first image file. Then create a new Develop preset with only those settings checked in the Develop preset popup.

3) Hold down the ALT key and click on the master 'Reset' button at the bottom right of Develop settings panel. Click on 'Restore Adobe Default Settings.'

3) Set the Detail panel Sharpening Amount, Luminance, and Color all to 0 and uncheck Lens Corrections panel 'Remove Chromatic Aberration' and 'Enable Profile Corrections.'

3) Apply the new Develop preset to the first image file and use CTRL + A to select all of the image files.

4) Click on the 'Sync' button in the bottom right of Develop panel, click on 'Check All,' and then 'Synchronize.' This will apply the preset settings to the rest of the files.

5) Watch taskbar progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Todd, I will tackle this as soon as I can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing we all failed to ask. What is your display resolution.

If, in LR you click on Help, then System Information, then copy, and paste that into a reply.

It will be listed (and what LR thinks it is supporting is what is important).

If you are stil having issues, why not just in fact share with us your system information, just paste that into a reply.

Why?

display 2K LR Ok

display 3K LR slowing down

display 4K LR slow

display 5K LR extremly slow, can bog down

Also, as a windows machine, you want DirectX, not OpenGL (that will also be listed in system info), If in OpenGL (well at least if a NVIDIA GPU) LR can get buggy, can slow down, some things might not display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not in front of my editing computer right now, but it runs at 1920 x 1200. LR5 has no problems with this. However, I'm not sure screen resolution would have much to do with applying a preset to a batch of photos as I'm not viewing previews, etc. I will grab my system info and post soon. I will also attempt to put together a video comparison this weekend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each and every time you do something in the Develop module, LR creates a new preview. These previews are place in the Camera RAW CACHE, not the lrdata directory.  Note these are not the standard previews and others used in the Library module. The more pixels to render the slower that gets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my system info:

Lightroom Classic version: 8.1 [ 1200465 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Language setting: en

Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition

Version: 10.0.17134

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 3.5 GHz

Built-in memory: 24557.1 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 24557.1 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 1582.8 MB (6.4%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 2145.1 MB

GDI objects count: 597

USER objects count: 2275

Process handles count: 1772

Memory cache size: 81.5MB

Internal Camera Raw version: 11.1 [ 112 ]

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX

Camera Raw virtual memory: 1042MB / 12278MB (8%)

Camera Raw real memory: 1053MB / 24557MB (4%)

System DPI setting: 96 DPI

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 1920x1200, 2) 1920x1200

Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:

DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 (23.21.13.8813)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 12, 2019 Jan 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From your system information

NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 (23.21.13.8813)

Out of date driver, issued something like 14 months ago

might not be be the cause, but always keep these up to date.

Troubleshoot Adobe Lightroom problems, issues, or bugs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Displays: 1) 1920x1200, 2) 1920x1200

So, resolution is not an issue.

Your connections to your monitors, what type?

VGA

DVI

HDMI

Display port?

https://photographylife.com/gpu-acceleration-in-lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version: 10.0.17134

At at least one version and two builds out of date. But I do not remember anything that would help LR in those updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What sort, if any, of maintanace/repair  (aka tuneup) software do you have, something to check the registry, to purge temp file, etc? Something like iola System mechanic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines