• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Communicating with Photoshop through COM and WIN32 APIs.

Participant ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've recently taken up Python to help out at my workplace, trying to contribute to a pipeline and bridge between Photoshop and Maya.

After screwing around with Python for a bit and learning about PyQt, I figured out that I can draw a transparent window on top of Photoshop and thus create an overlay of widgets over parts of the application.

You can see my attempt here:

https://youtu.be/7wjnP4u6jtI

The first half is just drawing rectangles over the various child-windows within Photoshop, to identify the individual components.

The second half is my hacked together attempt at creating a Maya-like transformation widget to manipulate layers.

I'm guessing this approach is similar to what applications like LazyNezumi and Quixel use to draw on top of Photoshop.

I do the window-related stuff and Photoshop communication through win32gui, win32com and comtypes modules.

So I've come here to ask if anyone is interested in the code (Which I could share after some cleaning up).

And also to ask if anyone might point me to better resources than just trial and error.

I figured this is a better place than the SDK forum since that seem to be mainly focused on plugins.

I'm also wondering specifically if anyone has an experience communicating with the 'PSViewC' widget, since most of the Photoshop child-windows seem to be of that type and while I've managed to read and write to standard widgets like a text box, the secrets of PSViewC elude me.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I am very interested in your research and hope that you can share it. I have also tried some recently.

https://github.com/loonghao/photoshop_python_api

I am very interested in your research and hope that you can share it. I have also tried some recently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I watched your video and I like how you manipulate Photoshop by external program, especially document area

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines