Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Speed up slow site

Engaged ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Could anyone help me with increasing load time on this site please: WELCOME TO FLAIR

I have run GTmetrox and Pingdom reports but dont see any solutions offered

I have reduced image sizes but not seen any benefit

I have exported the site and reviewed images and assets and doint see any major problems with images. Assets are large for video and PDF hyperlink files.

I am unsure how muse handles videos and hyperlinks to file downloads - these are my largest files. Could anyone hlep me understand.

Why are images and assets shown separately in the export file?

HTML page sizes are small

Many Thanks

Julia

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

As far as I experoienced, J-26 did a pretty good job all the time I used it, so - yes, advisable from my side.

Kind Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been looking at this website but not sure if its advisable? Speed up your website with caching and compression

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I experoienced, J-26 did a pretty good job all the time I used it, so - yes, advisable from my side.

Kind Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I will take a closer look at it.

Is it as simple as it sound? Just paste the code into the htaccess notepad document from Filezilla?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know about notepad from Filezilla. I would publish with muse. Publish to ftp and put the recommended manually to your ftp with a texteditor. Open your htaccess file with a code editor and do as told from j-26.

Kind Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Code editor? When I have edited htaccess before I have just opened it, added the code and saved it again. Is that not right? It worked for the 301 redirects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I thought "text editor". But anyway, yes. For deeper question please ask j-26 about it.

Kind Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#1 FYI, your site is not secure.  I ran a WhyNoPadlock report to see what's causing it.  See results below.

https://www.whynopadlock.com/results/bd6bac57-0a5a-4122-8bd4-0a8a0cc29105

#2 Google Page Speed Insights gives your site a 12/100 on Mobile,  72/100 on desktop.   There's much room for improvement.   See details below.

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.flairwindows.com%2F

#3 GZIP compression and  browser caching will help a little but let's be honest.  Muse generated websites are very slow to begin with.   And the more assets you have, the longer it takes for pages load.

IMO these images should be optimized a lot more  to save bandwidth.   Or consider thinning out all non-essential images from your home page. 

https://www.flairwindows.com/assets/extensive-showroom.jpg

732.25 KB (749,826 bytes)

https://www.flairwindows.com/assets/market-leading-products.jpg

767.34 KB (785,761 bytes)

https://www.flairwindows.com/assets/state-of-the-art-factory.jpg

919.1 KB (941,155 bytes)

https://www.flairwindows.com/assets/quality-workmanship.jpg

807.94 KB (827,333 bytes)

https://www.flairwindows.com/assets/flair-overview.png

1,869.91 KB (1,914,789 bytes)

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMO these images should be optimized a lot more  to save bandwidth.   Or consider thinning out all non-essential images from your home page. 

https://www.flairwindows.com/assets/extensive-showroom.jpg

732.25 KB (749,826 bytes)

https://www.flairwindows.com/assets/market-leading-products.jpg

767.34 KB (785,761 bytes)

https://www.flairwindows.com/assets/state-of-the-art-factory.jpg

919.1 KB (941,155 bytes)

https://www.flairwindows.com/assets/quality-workmanship.jpg

807.94 KB (827,333 bytes)

https://www.flairwindows.com/assets/flair-overview.png

1,869.91 KB (1,914,789 bytes)

Why are these header images non essential, Nancy? Because it is with no real text?

5. Re: Speed up slow site

dandyboxLevel 1

I also guess it is a lot of 3rd party widgets (maybe one used more than one time like the Sutton Coldfield's Largest Showroom?

On my side also the videos do not load or at least very very slow. I was not able to watch any of them.

Not because of page speed but for SEO i recommend to use real text instead of text as image like in your header images:

Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-11 um 08.54.43.png

One problem with Muse Sites may be, that it loads always the complete content (all videos, all images, all autoplay galleries, …) before it shows the page. So in your case this might be one problem.

Kind Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe

I am beginning to think its the widgets.

Yes I am aware of the SEO and text implications, the text on the images is already covered in body text and meta tags. As far as I am aware Muse does not have an option to efficiently add text over images in the way that I have it on this slideshow - please do correct me if there is a way.

I have alredy adevised my client of the video sizes and explained we need to buy sofware to compress them, but he hasnt agreed to it. I tried some free sofware but the results were terrible with sticky pixelated video at a 52% reduction in size.

No, that slide is only in there once.

Yep the pages are content heavy at clients request, I'm trying to do what I can in spite of those issues but it may be that I dont get any significant results sadly.

I have been thinking about the J-26 caching code and am not going to add it, it will only cause me more problems when viewers (including client) are unable to see amends without clearing browser cache after each update. Might look a the GZIP compression though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you use the CC full subscription, you also could use PREMIERE RUSH CC to convert the videos. Please do not ask me, which setting may work for you, but I was able to reduce 250 MB to 108 MB which is not suitable for web, of course.

To reduce the size of the images why not use PS and export for web and devices, after you made the size fit.

Even an export with LR CC with a size of 1900 leads to only 226 KB with the jpg quality of 40% which easily could get reduced to 30% without any issue, I guess. PS maybe does a better job but only maybe.

Kind Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe

I dont have the full subscription to CC, I still use CS4 for my other software as I dislike the cloud based offerings but will look into Premiere rush as a trial mmight serve my needs, thank you 🙂

I have already optimised many of the images in PS, I guess I wasnt sure how much of an impact it owuld have to continue if there were other bigger savings to be made in other areas. I will continue to go through them.

From what I have read, Muse file handling is poor and it often exports images larger than their original size png in particular so I am trying to elimitae them and potentially might do a post export optimisation exercise. My gut feeling is that its the not the images though now, after these discussions here. I think its a combination of clunky code, large vidoes and a ot of widgets.

I'm still interested to know how Muse handles the downloads page if anyone can advise, there are hyperlinks to hi res PDF documents - in theory this shouldnt slow the page down because they are linked...but I don't know....?

EDIT: just looked at Premiere Rush and it requires min Windows 10, I hate Win 10 so won't be installing it. I have it on my other computer but am not sure if I can open and use it on a different machine??? Think it only works with one licence to a CC product??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dandybox  schrieb

I dont have the full subscription to CC, I still use CS4 for my other software as I dislike the cloud based offerings but will look into Premiere rush as a trial mmight serve my needs, thank you 🙂

How do you use Muse without the full CC subscription? If it is a secret, keep it.

From what I have read, Muse file handling is poor and it often exports images larger than their original size png in particular so I am trying to elimitae them and potentially might do a post export optimisation exercise. My gut feeling is that its the not the images though now, after these discussions here. I think its a combination of clunky code, large vidoes and a ot of widgets.

I'm still interested to know how Muse handles the downloads page if anyone can advise, there are hyperlinks to hi res PDF documents - in theory this shouldnt slow the page down because they are linked...but I don't know....?

EDIT: just looked at Premiere Rush and it requires min Windows 10, I hate Win 10 so won't be installing it. I have it on my other computer but am not sure if I can open and use it on a different machine??? Think it only works with one licence to a CC product??

It can be used normally on two machines, though.

Muse handling is like I say, it does not load one after the other but everything before it shows content, I guess.

3rdparty widgets slows indeed the file handling.

Muse does not at all export images larger than the originals - never. So if you have small files with only little kb it experts with that amount of kb.

The more precise you work the better it is, but that may not only be the case for muse but for all websites.

Kind Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe

I am still using CS4 as I said, I just buy the Muse on cloud as a single app.I read on several articles that Muse exports files larger than the ones you input - who knows! I am in the process of switching to Webflow so wont be building any new sites in Muse, but obviously need to service the ones I have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fotoroeder  wrote

To reduce the size of the images why not use PS and export for web and devices, after you made the size fit.

The legacy Save for Web option is terrible, don't use it.   Better to use File > Export > Export As and move the quality slider down to reduce file size.

PS-export2x.jpg

For Windows users, there is a free app called RIOT (Radical Image Optimization Tool that does a great job of compressing images.

http://luci.criosweb.ro/riot/ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy I agee on the save for web option in PS not being great, I use save as and then adjust the quality of the image accordingly.

Client does not have SSL set up, or at least didnt until I messaged again today to recommend it again, so if you are seeing it somewhere then maybe they have bought it now, I see the domain is still showing unsecured so I guess they havent set it up or adjusted the htaccess file yet.

With respect you know nothing of what I should or shouldnt be doing as you don't know my remit in terms of access to their hosting account. YOU are actually totally wrong as they manage all the server side stuff themselves.

You are also totally wrong about the image content, YOU might not buy windows because of how a factory looks, but YOU (I assume) are not a trade customer looking to get products made. So you see you have no clue who the target audience is. Also you have no clue as to what (if anything) I actually charged for this site. I find your comments offensive.

So please, if you don't know the answers to my questions in my original post then I suggest you scroll on by rather than tryining to pick fault with things I havent even asked about and you clearly know nothing about!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but you will never convince me that factory images are sexy .  I'ts not essential to have them on the domain name landing page if they interfere with page load speed.  Move the slider to an internal page.

dandybox  wrote

So please, if you don't know the answers to my questions in my original post then I suggest you scroll on by rather than tryining to pick fault with things I havent even asked about and you clearly know nothing about!

I'm giving you free advice based on 24+ years of hands-on web development experience.  Getting prickly with me doesn't solve your problems.  But it does make you look rather foolish.  Fortunately, I don't take anything personally.  So maybe, just maybe I can educate you about what you should know and don't.

dandybox  wrote

Client does not have SSL,

You're totally wrong.  Client has a GeoTrust SSL cert issued from DigiCert on July 20, 2018.   See screenshot from the link I posted earlier which evidently you never bothered to look at.

THE PROBLEM:

This has nothing to do with your client.  YOU have a url in YOUR Muse code that is pointing to HTTP.  That HTTP url is creating mixed content errors over a secure connection.   Like it or not, that's something YOU must chase down and fix from YOUR end.    Below is the error which I assume is coming from some kind of Muse widget, possibly that slider.

Soft Failure

A file with an insecure url of "http://www.teamviewer.com/link/?url=246800&id=1240418695" was loaded on line: 1135 of https://www.flairwindows.com/.

This URL will need to be updated to use a secure URL for your padlock to return.

Google Page Speed Insights will give you other suggestions on how to improve the site's performance. I'll leave you to sort those out on your own.
Best of luck with your project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Like I said Nancy, please stop making comments and passing judgement where it’s not wanted. I never raised the SSL issue and it’s got nothing to do with you so just mind your own busines.

You are rude and offensive, coming steam rollering in on a post and making totally unrelated judgement to satisfy your own sad ego.

You have been of no help whatsoever. You dont know what you are taking about and your opinions are unwelcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy, its not my site but one I built for a client. I have advised them that they need to add an SSL but its out of my hands as they manage the hosting.

I amended the sizes of those images last night after I posted here and uploaded again and it hasnt helped much sadly. My client was very specific in the build and requested everything in the site, so there is nothing that isnt essential.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dandybox  wrote

Hi Nancy, its not my site but one I built for a client. I have advised them that they need to add an SSL but its out of my hands as they manage the hosting.

Client has SSL.  But you as the web developer need to resolve mixed HTTP and HTTPS content.   You can't have both over a secure connection.

https://www.whynopadlock.com/results/bd6bac57-0a5a-4122-8bd4-0a8a0cc29105

Likewise, you should redirect all HTTP traffic to the HTTPS server.   See link below.

https://serverguy.com/servers/redirect-http-to-https/

dandybox  wrote

My client was very specific in the build and requested everything in the site, so there is nothing that isnt essential.

I understand.  But to be honest, there's nothing sexy about oversized factory images that delay page load.   I don't buy windows because I like how the factory looks.  I buy windows because I like how the windows look.    It's your job to educate clients about what is important to their target users.  Afterall, that's why they pay you the big bucks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines