• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Damaged File causes InDesign to crash when opening

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 2GB File which crashes when i try to open it. It seems to be a damaged file.

There was an error message appearing when trying to save the file when i used the file but now i can't open it.

I tried the method of clearing the recovery folder but it didn't help.

Please help....i can't afford to lose this work 😞

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

There are multiple factors both internal and external to InDesign application that can lead to document corruption. However, I can take a look and see if the file can be repaired. Please email your InDesign file to corrupt_indesign_docs@adobe.com and I will take a look at the document.

If the file is larger than 10 Mb, you can zip (and password protect) the file and upload to Creative Cloud account (or Dropbox) and send us the document link.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2019 Jan 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi philm92915501 ,

to avoid damage of InDesign documents in the future:

1. Frequently do Save As to minimize document file size.

2. Do not include full image data in your document.

Always place and link to images.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.....is there any way to open the damaged file?

I stand to lose a lot of work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You obviously embedded all of your images. The chances of getting this file open are almost zero unless you have a backup or you want to pay. Markzware offers a file recovery service. I have no idea how much it costs.

At least you can take a lesson from this. Do not embed images and keep backup. Working in a Dropbox or OneDrive folder will keep versions for you to roll back to.

I wrote this almost 6 years ago: Beyond the quotas and pricing, nothing has changed. https://www.boblevine.us/why-i-always-save-files-in-dropbox-and-why-you-should-too/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are multiple factors both internal and external to InDesign application that can lead to document corruption. However, I can take a look and see if the file can be repaired. Please email your InDesign file to corrupt_indesign_docs@adobe.com and I will take a look at the document.

If the file is larger than 10 Mb, you can zip (and password protect) the file and upload to Creative Cloud account (or Dropbox) and send us the document link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines