Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Same text, same tracking, different line breaks

Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

When I copied pages from one InDesign document to another by drop and drag, line breaks changed. All of the settings appear to be the same: text size and leading, tracking, kerning, hyphenation, paragraph composer, text frame size, margins. It seems like there must be some underlying setting that is different in the two documents. Any suggestions for where to look would be much appreciated.

InDesign CC 2014, Mac OS 10.10.5, Mac Pro early 2009

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

There's also the Justification settings and maybe the Keep Options

Is the source text styled with [Basic Paragraph] or a style that's based on [Basic Paragraph]?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First check whether the difference is real: go to the document you copied from and recompose it (type any character in the story and delete it). If the text doesn't change then there is indeed a difference, though I have nothing to offer. . .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't quite get the suggestion, but the line breaks in a paragraph in the document I copied from do not change when I type a character and delete it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's also the Justification settings and maybe the Keep Options

Is the source text styled with [Basic Paragraph] or a style that's based on [Basic Paragraph]?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes! The Justification settings were different. When I loaded the paragraph style from the source document into the target document, the line breaks fixed themselves. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, there could be an Object Style conflict—the two document's [Basic Text frame] styles could be different. When there is a conflict with same named styles the destination style definition is used.

Do you still have the problem if you break the style links? Select the text and choose Break Link to Style from the Paragraph Styles panel and do the same for the selected text frame in the Object Style panel and see if that fixes the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines