• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mongolian Baiti displaying the wrong glyphs

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m trying to display mongolian script in Indesign correctly. The writing is displayed differently in Word and Indesign (see image below), while the same font is being used: “Mongolian Baiti”. Using a different font, such as “Mongolian BaiZheng Pua” results in the same differences between Word and Indesign. The same happens on other computers at my workplace, and my publisher’s computer.

The author has stated the the writing in Word is correct, while the one in Indesign is not.

word vs indesign.jpg

Can anyone tell me how to display the Mongolian script correctly in Indesign?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you need the World-Ready Composer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter's suggestion is a good one. You'll find it in the Paragraph or Control panel flyout menu:

WorldComposer.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

thank you for your help and answers. I’ve turned on the world ready composer for the paragraph that contains the Mongolian Baiti, but there is unfortunately no effect.

I’m pretty sure I’ve done it correctly since, for instance, the writing of the font “Nirmala UI” does improve upon turning the world ready composer on.

Perhaps Indesign doesn’t know how to shape Mongolian characters?

I appreciate your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks as though the characters are correct but the shaping is missing. Shaping happens in some languages (not English) where the look of a character depends on the other characters nearby, and the app needs to know how to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> the look of a character depends on the other characters nearby, and the app needs to know how to do this.

That's what the world-ready composer does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought it might. Now, here's a question. Is there any reason ever to turn this off? Is it historical that it's an option, or are there sound reasons to fly without it for western, or even for shaped, languages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2019 Jan 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign had the paragraph composer from the outset, the world-ready composer was added later. The world-ready composer is more complex (and allegedly less stable), and if you don't need it I wouldn't use it.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve also added the Mongolian dictionary, offered on the openoffice website, to Indesign. the dictionary works, because I can select it, but the shaping doesn’t improve unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn’t anyone have an idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2019 Jul 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In the Paragraph Style Options and in the Open Type Features menu you could try to change the Positional Form to Automatic Form. As you see in my screenshot the Mongolian text using Noto Sans Mongolian connect properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines