Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting file

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

I could really use some help. I was trying to export a file to my mac and suddenly pages are grayed out, text and images are missing and I cant even add the images back. Every time i try to download the file it says that it can not be downloaded.

Has anyone experienced this? I rebooted my laptop a few times and no solution. I would appreciate any help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 13, 2019 Jan 13, 2019

Hi,

just looking into your document.

It's damaged.

Cannot tell what happened, but it's definitely something on the pages level.

To restore some of its contents I suggest the following:

1. Export the document to IDML.

2. Open the IDML file with InDesign.

3. Save the opened document to a new name.

First thing after that zoom out to maybe 5% and see what happened:

Cover-IDML-INDD-1.PNG

In my screenshot above you'll see the first six spreads after I opened the exported IDML file. As you can see one of the pasteboards is acting we

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm not quite sure what you are asking. Are you trying to export from InDesign? Into what file format and with what settings?

Are the pages grayed out and the text and images missing in InDesign or in the exported file?

Where does the file you are trying to download fit in with this? Can you show the error message?

Also, what is the OS on your Mac, and what version of InDesign?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane, I will add my answer below your questions.. please note that i am also very new to using indesign lol

I'm not quite sure what you are asking. Are you trying to export from InDesign? Into what file format and with what settings?

i am trying to export from indesign into a printable pdfScreen Shot 2019-01-09 at 6.31.57 PM.png

Are the pages grayed out and the text and images missing in InDesign or in the exported file?

the pages are grayed out and the content is missing while its still in inDesign... I cant even download the file it says the file cant be downloaded.

Where does the file you are trying to download fit in with this? Can you show the error message?

Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 6.34.12 PM.png

Also, what is the OS on your Mac, and what version of InDesign?

I am on a mac macOS Mojave

also, i am unable to add a image boxScreen Shot 2019-01-09 at 6.35.30 PM.png

here is a page where content has completely disappeared

Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 6.37.41 PM.png

and another page that text and images has disappeared from

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this issue. This looks more like a file specific issue. I would request if you can share a few more details like:

• Are you try to create a frame when you get this message(Unable to set bounding box)?
  • Will it be possible for you to share your file? If yes, please create a package and zip it, upload it to Creative Cloud/ Google Drive/ Dropbox and share the direct download link.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

Yes I was trying to create a frame. As far as downloading it won;t download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Theorganizedblackgirl  wrote

. As far as downloading it won;t download.

Hi,

You can’t add attachments to the forum. You’ll need to upload to Dropbox or another file sharing service and post the link, thanks!

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 12, 2019 Jan 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may help you to know that downloading only means "get something from the internet (usually a web site) to my computer". Exporting is not downloading. Putting things on DropBox isn't downloading. You can call things anything you want, but this is causing some confusion in your replies. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the clarification. i can not even export the document. it gives an error message when I try to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don’t need to export it for us to see it. Can you save, close, and reopen it? If so, it’s the InDesign file with the .indd extension that we need to see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2019 Jan 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

just looking into your document.

It's damaged.

Cannot tell what happened, but it's definitely something on the pages level.

To restore some of its contents I suggest the following:

1. Export the document to IDML.

2. Open the IDML file with InDesign.

3. Save the opened document to a new name.

First thing after that zoom out to maybe 5% and see what happened:

Cover-IDML-INDD-1.PNG

In my screenshot above you'll see the first six spreads after I opened the exported IDML file. As you can see one of the pasteboards is acting weird. It's getting worse below on other spreads not visible here.

The good news: I think, nearly all contents is preserved.

The bad news: Some of the contents is misplaced. Somewhere at the edge of the pasteboard.

Here an example from a spread that at first glance seems to be empty. Open the Layers panel and you'll notice that there are two png images placed. I selected them from the Layers panel. The two frames show up at the very bottom edge of the pasteboard:

Cover-IDML-INDD-2.PNG

I could drag the frames to the pages again. While I was doing this the pasteboard shrank to its usual size again:

Cover-IDML-INDD-3.PNG

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2019 Jan 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original document has a "spine-issue" in some spreads.

Where this happens the contents is scaled to very small values.

The Transform panel says to zero percent!

Cover-Original-INDD-Doc-ContentsScaledToZeroPercent.png

See my comments on the spine issue:

Cover-Original-INDD-Doc-SpineIssue.png

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe,

Thank you so much!! this seems to be working. Thank you everyone for all of your help!!!

would you happen to know how this happens so i can avoid it in the future?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

that's a good question, but I have no answer. It never happened to me. But if you look around in the forum you can see that it happened to others as well. And not only with InDesign CC 2019, also with older versions of InDesign.

Can you remember what happened just before this issue occured?

Did InDesign crash before? Was there an error message of any kind?

FWIW: If you look at my second screenshot showing the damaged document it seems as if the selected objects literally split the spine so that the two pages are moved away from spine. Definitely the developers should look into the issue. I'd suggest that you are should send Srishti ( srishtib8795206 ) the damaged document for further inspection.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Theorganizedblackgirl  wrote

would you happen to know how this happens so i can avoid it in the future?

While you may not be able to avoid it, you can make backups. I like to include the date and if it’s a very intense document, I may make a morning, afternoon, and evening backup. I put all of these in a backups folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines