• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open project file from PC on Mac

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been trying to open a template made on a PC on my iMac for days, and I can't get it to open. It was created in AE 15.0 (CC) and it won't open on that version, or any newer version on my machine. When I go to open it, it takes over 3 hours to finally open, and then once it's opened, it freezes after effects and I have to force quit. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way we could have any idea about what is going on is if you gave us project details. Most likely culprits are incompatible footage or missing third-party effects. There is nothing inherently difficult about opening projects from the same or later versions of AE on a different operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rick, thanks for responding!!

What kind of project details would you like? I have 10 different project files (everything collected & organized) from a show I worked on last year. Everything was created on AE 15.0 on a Windows computer. I'm just trying to open any of the project files on any of my 3 Mac computers, but not one computer, or version of AE will open these files. It takes 2-3 hours to attempt even opening the project, and then IF it opens, it completely freeze AE. It's like my machines are having a hard time reading the Windows files or something. This is the first time I've ever encountered this problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to add that none of the plugins or effects are missing from any of my machines from the one that they were created on. All the footage is there, all the effects are installed, everything is good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 12, 2019 Jan 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But are the precise same versions of the effects (I presume they're 3rd party plugins)  on your destination machine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2019 Jan 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the projects and corresponding source footage on an external drive?

Copy the AEP to the Desktop, unmount the drive and then open the project with all the source footage missing.  Do a Save As back to the Desktop.  Reconnect the drive, copy the new AEP back and try opening it (with your fingers crossed).

An alternative is to open a new AEP, import the problem AEP into it with the source footage missing and then relink the source footage manually.  Of course, that’ll take awhile.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responses. Nothing is working. I don't know what the problem is, or how to fix it. It's ONLY these files from this show. This is the frozen screen I've been looking at for an hour.

Warren, can I email you one of these files (without the footage) and see if you're able to open it and convert it to a new file I could try and open?

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 10.18.05 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bradlow,

Sorry for your issue!

You can upload your project files to a cloud storage service like Google Drive, Dropbox or Creative Cloud Files and share them with us. We'd be happy to take a look.

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rameez! Do you have a direct email address I could email you files to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have sent you my email address in a private message.

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

was this fixxed? and how?  i have the same issue now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines