• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Alignment Lines (?) Suddenly Showing Around Text

Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Photoshop cc 2018. All of the sudden my projects are showing these alignment lines at the top or bottom of my text. Even when I render the file to a JPG or PNG they still show. Look closely at the image. It's kinda hard to see them but there's a line under all the red text, at the top of the white text in the center and even a line through the center of Lordsburg. Any ideas?

Annotation 2019-01-11 211701.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 12, 2019 Jan 12, 2019

I got it!! The font was set to "crisp", when I changed it to none it went away:

That's the thing about working with Photoshop (or anything adobe)... all these keyboard shortcuts... I always end up hitting some key inadvertently and unknowingly change something. You have to be super careful about what you touch. Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Subtle, but definitely there, and wrong

Can you paste a screen shot of your entire workspace showing the layers panel.

Leave it at full res.  BTW  You only need to copy to clipboard, and paste here with Ctrl V

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Trevor, thanks for the reply. Here's a full res screenshot(it resizes down to a smaller size when I paste it here, hopefully it's right):

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was expecting to see a layer mask or two, the edges of which corresponded to the line positions, but that has not happened.  I'm guessing you are making titles for a video?

Have you turned off layers one at a time to  see which layer is the problem?

My guess is that it will be the arrow-youtube Smart Object layer, as we are are not able to see its content.

Turn the other layers off to isolate the problem to that layer, and if  is the culprit, double click to open in a new window

Give the SO window a temporary black layer at the bottom of the stack, and I suspect the artefacts will align with the edge of a mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You guessed it... it's an end screen for youtube videos. 

I have turned off the layers and it's definitely the text layer "Thanks for watching". In fact, I may have it isolated to the font... Boulder-Cd. I can change the font and it goes away. The thing is, I've been using this font for a while now on other projects and this just started happening tonight.

I'm sorry but I wasn't quite following this:

and if  is the culprit, double click to open in a new window

I made only the "thanks for watching" text layer visible and double clicked it in the layers panel, nothing happens. I'm still quite a beginner with Photoshop so I apologize!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2019 Jan 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jimmyd29144119  wrote

I'm sorry but I wasn't quite following this:

and if  is the culprit, double click to open in a new window

I made only the "thanks for watching" text layer visible and double clicked it in the layers panel, nothing happens. I'm still quite a beginner with Photoshop so I apologize!

I had a strong feeling it was the Smart Object layer causing the problem, because it is the only layer we can't see the content of.  To edit a Smart Object, we double click its icon, which will open it in a new window.  It seems I was wrong, so the advice was not relevant.

I am not seeing the issue here but it is quite a chunky font.

We can't quite see the bottom of your screen, but I think I can see a slither of the top of a Windows icon, so is it Windows 10?

If it was OSX I'd suggest Validating the fonts, and deleting the font cache.  If Windows, delete and reinstall that font.

The fact that the issue survives a save to JPG suggests it is not a display issue, but just to make sure, check (as in place a tick against) Legacy Compositing in Preferences > Performance, and make sure Cache levels is set to a value higher than 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I am on Windows 10. I went into the preferences and changed my cache level from 4 to 6. I do not seem to have the option for Legacy Composting though as you have, see screenshot below:

When I searched for Boulder-Cd in my fonts folder, I cannot find it by searching for it or manually. I downloaded a new copy of the font and when I tried to drag it into the fonts folder, it asks me if I want to overwrite it. So it's there, but hidden or something. I reinstalled the font and still having the same issue with the lines. Man this is a strange one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jimmyd29144119  wrote

Yes I am on Windows 10. I went into the preferences and changed my cache level from 4 to 6. I do not seem to have the option for Legacy Composting though as you have, see screenshot below:

Legacy Compositing came as an option with CC2019, but if you are using CC2018, it is not relevant because it still uses the old process.

Cache  levels are only a problem when set to 1.  In fact the is a message warning against using a value of 1

What it can do  is mess up the display causing a grainy pixelated effect.  We tend to get a few posts in an average year where this is the problem.  I didn't think it relevant in your case, because the issue remained after saving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got it!! The font was set to "crisp", when I changed it to none it went away:

That's the thing about working with Photoshop (or anything adobe)... all these keyboard shortcuts... I always end up hitting some key inadvertently and unknowingly change something. You have to be super careful about what you touch. Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jimmyd29144119 

Blimey Jimmy.   I'm sure you  know that setting aa to None turns  off  aliasing completely, leaving a jagged edge?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I told you I'm an amateur! Honestly, I didn't even notice, but now that you bring it to my attention, I see it. I tried all the other font settings and the only one that causes the issue is the Crisp setting. That's also the one that looks best to me. Being that it's an end screen though, I don't think it's going to matter too much for me in my case. I've just added this end screen to my video and rendered it, doesn't really seem to stand out to me and I doubt others will notice. Most people don't even make it to the end screen anyway. But I do appreciate the info on the none setting, I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines